"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, April 02, 2009

NJ, The Hero's Journey, and Internet Friends

First off, a huge thank you to Christine Marciniak and the Woodbridge, NJ G&T program for sponsoring me for a school visit. I had the awesome opportunity to give a Hero's Journey workshop to the kids in the program on Tuesday evening.

I gave a brief overview of myself, of why I write, of where I get my ideas; and then I talked a bit about the Hero's Journey and worked through an example showing how the various pieces fit together. And of course I gave them seven good reasons they should read The Emerald Tablet.


The kids were great. Asked tons of questions. Wanted to know if I would ever like a movie to be made of The Emerald Tablet.
(I went on to note how this is on the "you know you've made it" list for most authors.)

I'm amazed (and pleased) at how many of the kids would like to write. They seemed super interested in the writing and publishing process, and were astounded by the length of time it takes to get a book published (but weren't we all when we found out).

The highlight of my trip?
Meeting super, awesome, critique partner extraordinaire, Christine Marciniak, author of the upcoming When Mike Kissed Emma (August, 2009).

So what's it like to meet someone you have known for two years over the internet via critique group?
It's like you've known them all along. Because, let's face it, you have.
When I saw Chris, there was none of that getting-to-know-you stage. She was as awesome in person as she is in the group, and we immediately fell into conversation. She cooked for me. Made brownies. Hosted me overnight. Enjoyed a beer with me after the presentation. And of course we talked writing.
The only downside was the trip was not long enough. Next time I'm thinking we need to dedicate a day to writing. Now that sounds like bliss!


You can also read about my trip on Christine's blogs here and here.

***

Side notes:

Did you check out my post on Speculative Spoofs over at The Spectacle?

And have you made your way over to The Enchanted Inkpot yet?

***

Now off to finish up my speech for the Williamson County Juvenile Academy coming up this coming Tuesday!

27 comments:

Christine M said...

You are welcome to come back anytime. It was so fun to see you and the presentation was great! The kids all loved it - and so did their parents!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Chris! I hope so!

Keri Mikulski said...

Yay, New Jersey!!

Great pics and it sounds like you had a wonderful time. :)

Woodbridge is about two hours north of me. Next time you visit, stay an extra day or two to hit the beach and AC with me!! :)

PJ Hoover said...

The beach sounds wonderful, Keri! It's a deal!
And the whole thing was such a blast!

lynn said...

That's awesome that you got to meet an online-writer-friend in person; hopefully someday I'll have the chance to do the same--preferably with beer and brownies :)

Thanks for the links!

PJ Hoover said...

It was a blast, Lynn! And so many people visit DC, you should most definitely have the opportunity!

Casey said...

Oh it looks like you had a great time. I've a growing list of writer-bloggers I'd love to meet!

How fun!

Lenore said...

School visits seem like they would be so much fun!

Vivian said...

What a wonderful day! We'll have to figure out how to get the whole group together one of these days.

PJ Hoover said...

Me too, Casey! So I have one down and how many to go!!!!!

They are a blast, Lenore! Kids are so genuine and fun!

We will figure out a way someday, Vivian! After all, we're all in it for the long haul :)

Carrie Harris said...

So what was your answer to the movie question? :)

C.R. Evers said...

Great pictures! It looks like it was an awesome time!

Christy

Miriam S.Forster said...

Congrats on a good school visit! I confess that's the part that scares me most about being a published author. I love kids, but a whole roomful gives me stage fright.

Is that weird?

Angela said...

Looks like a great time! I bet you gave a great presentation.

Kelly H-Y said...

What a fabulous trip you had! And now ... off to another speaking engagement?! Busy, busy! Very cool!

PJ Hoover said...

It was a hard question, Carrie, but I finally decided I would like my book made into a movie :)

Thanks, Christy! So much fun!

Not weird at all, Miriam! It used to scare the heck out of me, too!

Thanks, Angela! I hope so!

Busy is good, right, Kelly?

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

adrienne said...

What a nice experience to meet your critique partner. Glad you had a good trip.

Tabitha said...

Very cool! Sounds like the kids had fun. And sounds like you had fun too!! :)

One of these days, I hope to meet all the great friends I've made over the internet. I love that we have it to keep in touch with other writers. :)

PJ Hoover said...

It was fantastic, Adrienne! And meeting people in person is so cool!

The Internet is such a wonderful networking thing, isn't it, Tabitha! And yes, I hope to keep meeting others, too!

Happy Friday!

Lady Glamis said...

I must say that looks like an awesome experience! I can't for the day people line up to meet me, LOL. And you deserve it!

Guess what? Now that I'm done with MONARCH I can actually read your book. I'm so excited!

I haven't made it over to those links yet, sorry. Catching up on all the blogs this morning. :)

Great for meeting friends! I love meeting blog friends. It is such a fun experience.

beckylevine said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip!

Stacy Nyikos said...

Yes, when they want to know when the movie is coming out, you've definitely made it. Congrats! It sounds like you had a fun time.

PJ Hoover said...

Aw, you're sweet, Michelle! It is a weird thing being the person up there talking in front of everyone. But fun!

It was great, Becky! And you are such a darling!

So maybe I should make a home movie of The Emerald Tablet, Stacy. You think?????

Shelli said...

sounds like a fun time :)

PJ Hoover said...

It was great! Thanks, Shelli!

Barrie said...

How very very fun that you two got to meet in real life!

PJ Hoover said...

Totally awesome, Barrie!