"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Five on a Friday (the proactive version)

So here's Five on a Friday a day early! How's that for being proactive? As it turns out, I'm going on a blog vacation starting Saturday for a week. If you post something and want me to read it, please leave me a comment! I don't want to miss anything, but I also can't swear I'll read every post when The Haunted Mansion is calling me name.

1) I have neglected to mention I'm the luckiest person on Earth. Just ask Heather at The Secret Adventures of WriterGirl. I won any book I want (under $50). So cool! So cool in fact I think I'll do a similar contest this summer to celebrate my winning. Anyway, my book?

Dante's Inferno

I asked Heather to pick a version out for me. And thanks, Heather!

2) I did a school visit on Tuesday. Chatty group! I think it's because it's the end of the year. It was 2nd and 3rd graders this time (quite a difference from the Juvenile Center), but equally as awesome. Kids are so much fun.
Thanks Forest North Elementary!

3) Reading update:
I finished Nation by Terry Pratchett this week (on audio). Not your typical Terry Pratchett, but still a great book. There definitely were a few laugh out loud moments, but it's way more serious than the discworld books.

Also read The Black Book of Secrets by F. E. Higgins. I have to say: this book has one of the best first chapters I've yet to read. It's what made me continue on with the whole book during my library reading time.

4) My non-spoiler thought on the Star Trek movie:

NOT JUST FOR STAR TREK FANS

I think this sums it up nicely.

5) I'm off to DisneyWorld! Will I write while there?
No.
But I do plan on brainstorming a new story idea, making some good notes, working on trying to come up with a plot—all that good stuff!

Hope you guys have a great week!

39 comments:

T. Anne said...

Have fun at Disney!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, T. Anne!

Kelly said...

Have fun at Disney, PJ!!! What parks will you go to?

beth said...

Oooo Dante's Inferno is delicious. Make sure you get one with good footnotes, though--there's a lot of political/personal allusions that are hard to understand otherwise!

Have fun at Disney!

beth said...

PS: A fun game you can play with your kids at Disney is to find the hidden Mickeys. There are hidden Mickey Mouse heads throughout the parks.

http://www.hiddenmickeysguide.com/

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Kelly! We're hitting all parks except the water parks. So much fun!

LOL, Beth, I have this image in my head that Dante's Inferno is like reading ancient Greek. I hope I'm wrong!
And thanks for the hidden mickey tip! I'll assign the kids to find them!

Litgirl01 said...

Have fun at Disney!!! :-) I'm from FL..assuming your going to that one. Also, I loveeee The Inferno...I was fascinated with it as a child. Weird eh?

Miriam S.Forster said...

I applaud you! I have never read Dante. *hangs uncultured head in shame* And I hope you have lodes of fun at Disney!

(I have this mental picture of you in Disney sitting on a bench reading Dante's Inferno while a life size Dopey cavorts in front of you. It's rather funny...)

PJ Hoover said...

Weird, but totally interesting, LitGirl! I'm really hoping I love it!
Yes, Florida! We're so excited!

Hilarious, Miriam! I love the mental image. So I should read Dante there. Now that might get some attention.
And trust me - my head is probably way more uncultured than yours!

beckylevine said...

We've been running through all Pratchett here, since my son finally let me help him discover Disc World! :) We all read Nation and LOVED it, but I agree--very different.

Have a WONDERFUL trip.

Solvang Sherrie said...

Have fun on vacation!

Carrie Harris said...

ENJOY your time off!

Casey said...

Disney!

Have a ton of fun, PJ!

Keri Mikulski said...

Have fun!!! Enjoy! :)

Lady Glamis said...

Have an awesome week! I can't wait to see Star Trek!

Kelly H-Y said...

Have a BLAST at Disney!!!!! I'm so excited for you! I've heard similar comments about Star Trek ... it's getting quite the rave reviews!

lotusgirl said...

Yippee! for you and Disney! Have a blast!

Robyn said...

I'm from Florida, but all the way down to the Keys. Disney is great, but bring your own bottled water. You don't want to spend all of your money on water, which you will end up doing. :)Have fun!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, everyone! I'm getting totally psyched!

Trisha Pearson said...

Have a wonderful, magical vacation!

Rena said...

Have a great time!

Danyelle said...

Have fun at Disney World. Squee for the free book!
*goes and digs out Nation to read*

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks guys! And yes, Danyelle, read Nation!

lynn said...

Ooh, I need to read Dante's Inferno. I'll add it to my list!

Star Trek was awesome! Loved it. And yes, definitely not just for Trekkies. Some of the jokes might have been lost on non-trekkies, but they had enough non-trekkie humor that there was a lot for everyone to enjoy :) You think they're setting up for a movie sequel or a TV series?

Heather Zundel said...

I'm going to search super-hard for the PERFECT copy of Dante's Inferno for you. Have fun in Disneyland! And thanks for the shoutout!

C.R. Evers said...

awwwww, you lucky duck! Have fun! Give Mickey a hug for me! :0)

PJ Hoover said...

Exactly, Lynn! Star Trek will capture a lot more fans I think!

I'm so exicted, Heather! Thank you!

Thanks, Christy!

Lauren said...

I hope you have a blast at Disney! That's great that you got to do another school visit. I imagine that it was very interesting for you to compare the two most recent groups. Chatty is great...means they were super impressed with you :)

adrienne said...

Have fun at DisneyWorld!

Vivian said...

I'm so jealous - have a great time at Disney!

Also, wanted to let you know you've been automatically entered into THE LAST OLYMPIAN special book giveaway. Winner will be announced on June 2nd! Good luck!

Lenore said...

I've tried to read Nation a couple of times, but can't get into it.

PJ Hoover said...

I hope they were impressed, Lauren! They seemed to have fun!

Thanks, Adrienne!

I saw that Vivian! Thank you!

Lenore, I listened to it on audio and almost stopped a few times. But it did picked up. Not my favorite book of the year and not my favorite Pratchett book.

kbaccellia said...

Have fun at Disney!
We're going to see Star Trek this coming weekend. I've heard such fab things about it.

I still have the ARC for NATION. Sounds great.

Amy said...

Disney World! No fair:0
-AMY

Anita said...

You're having a good time...reading, writing, winning, playing....does it get better?!

Christina Farley said...

Disney! Say hi to home for me. My sister works there on the weekends and I work there in the summer.

Have a blast!

Miriam S.Forster said...

Hey, PJ! Just so you know, I ran a question and answer thing on my blog while you were gone. (Not intentionally, I assure you.) Anyway, there's stuff up on how I got published, why I write fantasy and my preference for curly fries over tater tots.

Hope you had a great vacation!

D.A. Riser said...

Hey PJ -- If you are still reading your May 14 post ... Congratz on INFERNO. If you like it and want to mix it with Dan Brown's DA VINCI CODE then read a book called THE LAST CATO by Matilde Asensi. Let me what you think of it if you read it.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Dan! And where have you been? I thought I'd been gone.