"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Five on a Friday

Friday already! It's been a great writing week here. Kung Fu camp combined with Art Camp has provided me with three solid hours for writing each day. Nice! It took a bit to get back into the swing of things, but I'm thrilled to report the words are now coming. Whether every single one needs to change or not, I don't care. For me, getting that draft pounded out is key.

Here's my five for the week!

1) POV - Wow. This dual POV thing really has my head spinning. I'm working on the following:
  • making sure each voice is unique
  • making sure each voice is consistent
  • asking whether each of the POV characters has a story to tell
  • asking whether I need two POVs or not. Either way, this is a fantastic writing exercise, and I'm so happy I'm actually doing it, even if I end up trashing one of the POVs. The funny thing is, at this point, if I did get rid of one, I'm not sure which one it would be.

2) Read The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan. I'll give no spoilers. Did anyone else read it? Your thoughts? It held my interest and had a interesting surprise ending. And yeah—it's totally set up for book 2. Nice job.

And started The Chosen one by Carol Lynch Williams. I'm like 20 pages in and already hooked.

3) There's a book giveaway going on over at The Spectacle. Along with THE EMERALD TABLET, we're giving away REPOSSESSED by A.E. Jenkins (a Printz Honor Book) and a $20 gift card. So what are you waiting for? Head over and comment to win!

4) I'm off to DC next Wednesday. We're mentally putting together out list of places to see. My son is really excited to get back to Fort Washington and Fort Hunt, and of course there's the Air and Space museum and the Natural History museum. I'm hoping to add a couple new places to the list this year, and I wouldn't mind getting back to Arlington Cemetery. Top on my list is The Library of Congress. Never been there.

5) My editor Madeline Smoot at Blooming Tree Press had a baby this past weekend, so a huge congratulations to her!

Hope everyone has a GREAT weekend! We're getting a new roof tomorrow (Friday), so if nothing else we're guaranteed some construction noise and debris to keep us amused. And my ARCS for THE NAVEL OF THE WORLD are scheduled to ship tomorrow! I'm so psyched to see them!

30 comments:

Solvang Sherrie said...

I want to take my kids to DC. Have fun! And Yay! for the ARCs coming!! Woohoo!

BTW, I'm impressed that you're doing the two POVs. I love reading books with both perspectives like that, though I've never tried writing that way myself.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Wow. What a wonderful week. You've got ARCs on the way and DC to roam and writing accomplished. Great way you are approaching the POVs. It seems to me that writing key characters' POV, even as an exercise, would be useful, because the writer couldn't help but get a deeper understanding of the motivations and emotions. I'll be interested to hear what you finally decide to do with them.

writtenwyrdd said...

I read the Demon's Lexicon and found it just okay. The pov character was really hard for me to get into. Let me just say I won't purchase any sequels.

Stacy Nyikos said...

If I rate enough, please slide one of those ARCs aside. I'll get it read in Bella's class again this year! Promise. Can't wait to read your lies :-)

Angela said...

I bet you'll have a great trip. Take lots of pics1

PJ Hoover said...

I love DC, Sherrie! It's such a blast. And I'm really happy I'm giving the dual POV thing a shot. It certainly is different.

Tricia, you are right on about learning more about the characters by writing from their POV. It's almost worth writing some chapters from all major characters POV and then trashing them just to get a feel for them.

The MC POV was certainly not full of emotion, was it, writtenwyrdd? That said, I do think it was an interesting and unique choice to pick this character as the POV.

Ah, Stacy, with an offer like that, how can I refuse? :)

I'll take tons of pics, Angela! And one day I'll actually organize them into a photo album :)

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

Kimberly Derting said...

Good post, PJ. I totally want to read both The Demon's Lexicon and The Chosen One, I've heard great things! Jealous that you're going to DC, and definitely I would go the LOC.

I'm working on my very first single POV (and first person), both of which are a challenge for me, but I'm really liking it. I like working outside of my comfort zone! Good luck on yours!!!

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, I love stories with two points of view. I htink tis great that you are giving it a try!

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Kimberly! single POV should be a breeze for you if you're used to dual. Or maybe not. That's totally interesting. I'll be curious to hear how it ends up in comparison!

Thanks, Corey! It's nice to try something different!

adrienne said...

A trip to DC! I'm jealous!

Trisha Pearson said...

Wow - an exciting time for you - a trip and ARCs coming - Congratulations!

I love books with multiple POVs so I can't wait to hear more about your experience writing a book that way, and to read the book, of course!

Have a great weekend and Happy Writing!

beckylevine said...

The POV thing is really crazy, isn't it? Love that you're playing with it and waiting to see what happens. I read a pretty good POV book when I was researching my Critique book--went a lot further than anything I'd read before about why/how to use POV. It's The Power of Point of View, by Alicia Rasley. You know, if you're bored sometimes this summer and need something else to do! Ha! :)

Danyelle said...

Yay for your vacation! Have fun and be safe. :D

Isn't it a lot of fun doing multiple POVs? I love the way characters think so differently. :)

Squee for ARCs!

Jason said...

My girlfriend loves DC. She wants to take me there some day, so I can see all the different stuff, especially the Museum of Natural History.

Good luck with those two POVs. It's tough, but I know you can do it!

Thanks for the heads up on the contest.

Kelly said...

Have fun in DC! So much to see and do!
Congrats on all your writing this week! You'll really be able to enjoy your trip knowing you got a good chunk of writing accomplished!

Casey said...

Congrats to your editor!

New roof? Oh man. We got one a year or so ago. It was a disaster. Our house was built in the 50s and has wood slats with this weird paneled ceiling (it's not as ugly as it sounds) and the debris was just pouring in, in certain areas. If that wasn't enough, an entire chunk of roof fell through the hall where someone had patched a hole one time. I could see the sky - through my house!

Scared the crud out of me. I hope your house is more sound. Otherwise you will be having an interesting time of it!

: )

PJ Hoover said...

DC rocks, Adrienne! I love it!

Let's hope someday it will be a read-worthy book, Trisha! My first drafts are definitely not in the read-worthy category :)
Thanks!

Oooh, thanks for the book suggestion, Becky. It does sounds like something I should read in my spare time!

Characters are so different, Danyelle! I'm so psyched I'm doing it because it does stretch my mind to realize this.

PJ Hoover said...

DC is a great place to visit, Jason. You guys should definitely go!

It is great to feel like I'm accomplishing something, Kelly! Hopefully I'll get a bit of writing time on my trip, too!

Oh, Casey, your roof story sounds like a disaster! Ours did not get put on yet, but I am banishing the mental picture of your experience from my mind!

Thanks for visiting!

C.R. Evers said...

Wow! How awesome that you got so much writing time every day this week! Awesome!

I'm thinking about doing my next book in multiple POV, so I'm eager to find out what you learn!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Christy! It was a great writing week! I'll let you know how my POV exercise continues! I'm curious to find out myself :)

Vivian said...

Sounds like a great week, PJ! Have a great vacation!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Vivian!

Lenore said...

Very excited for THE CHOSEN ONE! Why are there so many great books out there? I need the ability to stop time.

PJ Hoover said...

I will totally look forward to your review of THE CHOSEN ONE, Lenore!
I finished it on Friday night.

Kelly H-Y said...

Ooohhh, how exciting to see your ARCs soon! Good luck with the new roof! :-)
How exciting that you've got a WA DC trip coming up!!

adrienne said...

I'm back to let you know I tagged you on my blog today...

Justus M. Bowman said...

It's certainly easier to revise something than it is to revise nothing.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Kelly! Yes, it's all good stuff in the future!

Thanks, Adrienne! I'll buzz over and check it out!

Totally, totally, totally, Justus!

Christina Farley said...

So exiting about your ARC! And congrats to your editor on her baby. So great

PJ Hoover said...

I'll pass on the congrats, Christina! And thanks!