"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, July 02, 2009

Five on a Fourth of July Weekend

Hey! Greetings from Virginia. We're off to Central Pennsylvania (Osceola Mills in case by some reason you've heard of it) tomorrow for the long weekend. I'm looking forward to treasure hunting with the metal detector, searching for some way cool old bricks for the collection, a small town parade, and lots of family fun.

I'm on Book 3 in the Fablehaven series, Grip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon Mull, and I just have to reiterate how much I really like this series. I can see kids devouring it. Very high recommendation for the later elementary/middle school readers. This is exactly what I would have wanted to read as a kid.

On movie watching, we've watched
  • King Solomon's Mines (the original movie)
  • part of Romancing the Stone (why did those 80s movies have so much cussing?)
  • and the newest Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Touristing, we've hit
  • Fort Hunt (again, love the old forts)
  • Smithsonian Museum of American History
  • Air and Space Museum
  • and the Hirshorn Sculpture Garden.

And believe it or not, now here's my five:

1) I'm psyched I finally got to see these. It feels like a rite of passage (along with, of course, Kermit the Frog, Oscar the Grouch, and Archie Bunker's chair).


2) Thank you to Sherrie at Solvang Sherrie for saying such nice things about THE EMERALD TABLET!

3) Check out my critique partner, Christine Marciniak's, book trailer for her upcoming debut novel, WHEN MIKE KISSED EMMA, due out this August! I love this book and will totally re-mention it when the time comes.



4) Fellow awesome Austin author, Chris Barton, has his debut picture book out. Did you ever wonder how Day-Glo colors came to be? I did! Can't wait to buy this book. Anyway, check out his awesome interview over on Cynsations!




5) And speaking of treasure hunting, we went through an old chest and found some way cool stuff!



Writing? I've done none. But I have been doing lots of thinking on my POVs for my WIP. The good news is I am getting a better understanding for how I need to work the novel for the dual POV thing to work. And the even better news is the more I think about it, the more excited I am to return to it (someday when I actually get a chance to write).

Happy Fourth of July weekend, everyone!

28 comments:

Christine M said...

Have a great Fourth of July Weekend in PA.

I agree that seeing Dorothy's slippers and Kermit are like a rite of passage. A must see.

As for the Fablehaven books, I haven't read them, but Katie absolutely adores them. They are totally her kind of book.

And thanks for posting my trailer! I'm glad you like it!

PJ Hoover said...

Karie has good taste :)
And your trailer rocks!
Hope you have a great weekend, too.

Kelly H-Y said...

Sounds like you're having a fabulous time! Have a wonderful 4th of July weekend ... what a great place to be for this particular holiday! And, safe travels back!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I want to know, where did you find that trunk! What a treasure chest.
Sounds like you are having a fabulous vacation. Happy weekend to you.

Danyelle said...

Those pictures are lovely! Yay for ruby slippers! Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Heather Zundel said...

You put up the slippers! I totally agree, it really did feel like a rite of passage somehow. That pop culture corner really needed more room for all the love I had for it. Have fun in PA!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Kelly! Hope you have a great 4th also!

Isn't the trunk cool, Tricia! It's my parents, and I had my 8 year old convince my dad to open it :)

Thanks, Danyelle! The ruby slippers rocked!

The pop culture room totally needed more room, Heather. I was actually so surprised at how small it was!

Happy weekend!

Miriam S.Forster said...

Have a great Forth!

I'm totally jelous that you're up to the third book. I've only read the second one. (library card, must get library card...)

80's movies? Cussing and oddly gratuitous nudity. I watched Lethal Weapon for the first time in ages, and I was thinking. "Did we seriously need this opening actress to be unclothed? Not really..." You could tell they were trying to shock and be 'edgy'.

PJ Hoover said...

Yes, almost every 80s movie is like that, isn't it, Miriam! And I love Fablehaven. Get a library card!

beckylevine said...

I stood outside the case with the ruby slippers about 10 years ago. I looked at the slippers for about a minute, then spent the rest of the time watching the tiny little girl who practically had her nose up against the glass, and who's dad said he couldn't get her to leave. :)

PJ Hoover said...

LOL! Kids are priceless, aren't they, Becky!

Tess said...

What a great time you seem to be having. Hooray for vacations :D

beth said...

Happy Fourth of July!

And you'll love dual POV--that's what I did with mine, and it was great fun.

Angela said...

Hope you dig up some good treasure!

B.J. Anderson said...

Dorothy's slippers! Awesome! And that was a cute book trailer, too.

Casey McCormick said...

Sounds like you're having a lot of fun, PJ. Love the treasures!

Have a fabulous 4th!

Barrie said...

Happy Fourth back at you! Have a great trip!

PJ Hoover said...

Vacation is wonderful, isn't it, Tess!

Dual POV does seem really fun, Beth! Challenging but really good for me :)

I hope so, too, Angela! I post on any cool treasure I find!

Thanks, BJ! I love the trailer. And of course Dorothy's shoes!

Thanks, Casey! Happy Fourth right back at you!

Hey Barrie! Miss you! Hope you have a great weekend!

Galen Kindley--Author said...

Zounds, dual POV is way tougher than I’d take on, but you can do it. It’s especially good to hear you’re getting amped up about you WIP. That’s a great feeling. Your DC adventures make me want to go back…in say, late September, fewer crowds, lower humidity. Keep having fun!

Best regards, Galen
Imagineering Fiction Blog

Kimberly Derting said...

Happy Fourth, PJ. Glad you're having fun!!!

Lady Glamis said...

Oh, it looks like you are having so much fun! You know, I count thinking as writing. That's where most of the magic in my stories happens... all that mulling things over. So chalk it up to writing!!!

Kelly said...

I think every girl wants those ruby slippers at one point or another!
Have a great trip and Fourth of July weekend!

Trisha Pearson said...

I'm glad you are having a good time on your vacation. Have a happy and safe 4th!

Keri Mikulski said...

Happy fourth! And enjoy the rest of your trip.

I want the slippers so I can click them together. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks so much for the great holiday wishes, everyone! I hope everyone had a great Fourth of July!

adrienne said...

Love the shot of the ruby slippers! How fun.

Shelli said...

sounds like you're having a blast!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Adrienne and Shelli!