"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, July 31, 2009

Five on a Friday

Hey Everyone!
The weeks of summer are flying by. I've seemed to fall into a twice a week blogging pattern for summer. Works for me. Once school starts, I'll get back to my three times a week.

Here are my five for the week:

1) Dental surgery is not all bad. Everything has a silver lining, right? I'm trying to summarize the good things about having dental surgery (which I was fortunate enough to have yesterday).
  • When I got home, I slept from 12:30 pm - 6:30 pm and then still went to bed at 10:30 pm.
  • I have not had such a relaxed day in YEARS. Like as in before I ever had kids. Nothing seemed to bother me during my 4 awake hours yesterday.
  • My relaxation has even carried over to today. Nice.
  • I didn't have to even thing about cooking.
  • I have a titanium screw in my mouth. There's something cool about titanium. It sounds indestructible.

2) So let's face it, before my surgery, I was a bit tense. Really, lots tense. And I needed something lighthearted and fun to read, so I picked up SCREWBALL by Keri Mikulski and loved it! You guys should all read this book. It's amazing, and I can't wait for the sequel CHANGE UP coming very soon.

3) Ahead of me I have TWO weeks of 9-3 summer camp. I mean, not camp for me. For the kids. Which means I get 6 beautiful, wonderful hours of writing time for ten magnificent days. That's 60 hours. And we're not even counting the after bedtime writing. This is during the day.
I love my kids. And I love summer camp.

4) Must point out my friend Christine Marciniak's awesome debut novel, WHEN MIKE KISSED EMMA is due out August 19th. I can't wait! It's fun, light hearted, and a must read for all those teen girls you know and love.

5) I think there was a five, but it's escaping me. So have a great weekend!

24 comments:

beth said...

HAHA! So glad you have summer camp to look forward to!! Me, August 17th is like a ticking time bomb...when summer is over and I have to start teaching again! :( I love my students, but I love summer break more!

And I'm so excited for Chris, too! WHEN MIKE KISSED EMMA is brilliant! I can't wait to review it on my blog :)

PJ Hoover said...

We're on opposite schedules, Beth! I'm just out of the writing at night habit since I normally have the days. But summer changes everything!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Eek! I guess you had to have an implant? I've never had one but my mother did. I'm looking at a possible root canal and not a happy camper. I know we've got the best-kept teeth in history but, dang, it's disturbing to go through. Glad the drugs are nice!
How cool, too, that you have big writing time in your future. And, don't worry, you will learn to count again. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Yep, an implant, Tricia. Oy. Funny enough, root canals are nowhere near as bad as they get credit for being.
And tomorrow sounds like a good day to start counting again :)

Shelli said...

have fun on your writing camp

Jill Douglass said...

Saw this article and thought of you:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8177529.stm

Jim Danielson said...

Glad dental surgery went okay. Not sure if the screws in my heel are titanium -- they're probably less classy like steel or rusty iron.

Lady Glamis said...

Haha, I love how you skip out on 5! Awesome that you got some time to yourself, even if it did come about because of your teeth. :S

Have fun at your camp!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Shelli!!!!! My writing camp will be awesome!

Thanks, Jill! It's pretty cool.

Steel or rusty iron, Jim. You crack me up :)

Number five just escaped me, Michele. I'm not sure what happened!

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

Casey McCormick said...

I don't know, PJ. My root canals were pretty traumatizing. Heh. But, I'm a baby about the dentist. I've been putting off making an appointment for quite awhile now, but I'm definitely due.

I'm glad you had such a relaxing day after your surgery though! That is a nice bonus.

And enjoy all your upcoming writing time!

PJ Hoover said...

I think the root canals didn't bother me so much because I was SO numb during them, Casey :)
Thanks!

Lenore said...

I hope you remember number 5 and share it with us soon ;)

Miriam S.Forster said...

Hooray for relaxed-ness, and upcoming writing time!!! Also, titanium sounds very cool. It's like you're the Bionic Woman or something...

PJ Hoover said...

I keep trying to remember it, Lenore! It will come.

I was so thinking the same thing, Miriam! The Bionic Woman!!!!!

Miriam S.Forster said...

Hey, Happy Friendship Day, O great Bionic Woman!!!

Thanks for being such an awesome support!

Christine M said...

I'm glad your dental surgery went well.

Have fun getting writing done this week!

And When Mike Kissed Emma is now available to order on Amazon!

Solvang Sherrie said...

I'm glad the oral surgery went well. I've avoided having my wisdom teeth removed for years, although it probably wasn't very wise of me...

Enjoy the quiet house! Hope you get lots of writing done =)

Carrie Harris said...

You can be a superhero now! What do you think of Titanic Woman as a name?

Hmm. Maybe not. :) Anyway, glad the surgery went okay.

adrienne said...

It's too bad we can't have a relaxing day like that without being forced into it!
Glad your surgery went okay.

PJ Hoover said...

Happy Friendship Day right back at you, Miriam! You are equally awesome!

Thanks, Chris! I can't wait to order WMKE! Must do that now!

LOL, Sherrie! Maybe it was very wise of you to keep the wisdom teeth! I still have all mine.

Titanic woman. Carrie, you crack me up! There's just something about that that makes me feel kinda large.

Thanks, Adrienne! Yes, I know, but I took my relaxing day and slept it away.

Happy Monday!

Sheryl said...

Hope you're recovering from the implant with no complications!

Congrats on the two weeks of summer camp! Yay! Lots of writing.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Sheryl! All is going great with recovery!

Kelly H-Y said...

Oh my goodness, you crack me up! I LOVE your perspective on the dental surgery ... great to look at the relaxing after-benefits of it all! I can't wait to read Screwball! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Hope you're feeling better!

PJ Hoover said...

See, there is a positive side to even dental surgery, Kelly :)
Screwball was great and entertaining!