"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

In which I inspire the Newest Genius Rage

Yes, we all know Erno Rubik is a genius. And if you've been lucky enough to read THE EMERALD TABLET , you know Erno Rubik is a telegen and that he designed the Kinetic Orb as a Rubik's Cube for smart people.
Now let fiction become reality.


Have you heard about the Rubik's Sphere 360? Here's the link on the latest craze sure to drive all you non-telegens crazy. It sure looks a lot like a Kinetic Orb to me.

Thanks to my dad for letting me know my science fiction dreams are reality. Hey, Dad, does that mean you're going to order me one? If so, here's the link!

And for those thinking ahead to gifts, wouldn't the Rubik's Sphere 360 and a copy of THE EMERALD TABLET make a wonderful gift package? Order in advance and get Christmas shopping out of the way!

***

So I finally got my ARCs for THE NAVEL OF THE WORLD. They look so pretty, don't they!


I had fun showing my family the dedication and the acknowledgments. And I flipped through and noticed some of the new, fun things I've added to the world of Lemuria for Book 2.

Like a new Nogical (with a name very familiar to my daughter's).
And a reference to kumquats (thank you awesome Austin writers).
And lava tubes, and the Trojan Horse, and the Aurora Borealis.
And a location inspired by one of my favorite Michael Whelan prints.

I love being an author. I love being able to put things which are special to me into the books I write. Isn't there some special name for this? Like Easter eggs or cookies or something? It escapes me. All I know is it is fun!

Hope everyone's having a great week!

27 comments:

Barrie said...

Very, very, very cool!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Barrie! I thought so! Of course now I feel pressured to learn to solve it.
See you in September!

Lady Glamis said...

Okay, you're officially awesome. Kumquats! So cool! And I had a hard time envisioning that "cube" but now it's clear! My husband would love that. I really have to buy your book when it comes out. Christmas. Done. :D

Jim Danielson said...

Cool gift combo! You must be excited about the arcs.

Christine M said...

The kinetic orb! How awesome! I already gave everyone I know The Emerald Tablet. Might have to package the orb with The Navel of the World.

And I think the term you are looking for is Easter Egg (though I'm tempted to say Trojan Horse)

And the ARC looks fantastic!

Trisha Pearson said...

Wow! That is all so very, very cool! Exciting times - I'm happy for you!

Kelly H-Y said...

Oh, your Navel of the World cover looks phenomenal! That must have been one of the best feelings to open that box, see the cover, then thumb through the book! Awesome! Congratulations!
The Rubik's Sphere 360 looks very intriguing!!

Solvang Sherrie said...

How cool to see a real kinetic orb! Now to be able to use it like the telegens :)

My daughter loves kumquats. We have a tree on the back patio and she actually peels and eats the tiny things.

B.J. Anderson said...

Awesome, PJ!!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

You're kinda like Jules Verne or HG Wells! But can you solve the sphere? Inquiring minds....
Congratulations, really, this is so cool!

PJ Hoover said...

LOL, Michele, I had a hard time envisioning the "cube", too! You could get one for your husband! Take care!

I am excited, Jim! They came out looking really nice!

Chris, an orb with a copy of THE NAVEL OF THE WORLD would also make a great gift package :) And thank you!

Thanks, Trisha! You're so sweet!

Thanks, Kelly! Yes, I admit to totally thumbing through the ARC and checking it out!

Too funny, Sherri! I've heard kumquats are bitter, but I've never tried one. I'll use this info as proof people do eat them!

Thanks, BJ!

Whoa, Tricia. I LOVE the comparison to Jules Verne. Now this is a complement! To the center of the world!

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

beckylevine said...

Beautiful cover. I really like the colors/tints the artist uses on your books.

How about "Life Cameos?" Can we call them that? :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Becky! I love the cover more and more and can't wait to see it in glossy hardcover beauty.
Life Cameos. I LOVE THIS!

Kimberly Derting said...

Congrats, PJ...don't you love the smell of shiny, new ARCs??? They're beautiful!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Kimberly! I do love looking at them. And smelling them :)

Robyn Campbell said...

PJ: How cool are you? The coolest of the cool. And such a nice gift idea. I'm in! :)

Miriam S.Forster said...

Ooo... That looks like something my husband would adore!

Also, I love that moment when you find a place in your book for a random thing you love. Always makes me feel like I'm putting in secret code...

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Robyn! Takes one cool person to know another!

Secret code! Nice, Miriam! It is exactly like that!

Thanks for visiting!

Sheryl said...

The new arc looks amazing! And wow, Rubik 360 = kinetic orb for shizzle!

Keri Mikulski said...

Congrats on the ARC!! Looks amazing. :)

Can't wait to dive inside.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Sheryl! Now to learn to solve it!

Thanks, Keri! I am now starting to get excited!

C.R. Evers said...

The new cover looks awesome!!!!

Luv it!!!!!

Heather Zundel said...

This is too awesome for words. And I know exactly how you feel. Viva la easter eggs!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Christy!!!!!

Yes, Easter Eggs, Heather! It makes me excited for the holiday already :) Well you know, I love chocolate!

Christina Farley said...

Your cover looks awesome. Reminds me of when we went to Greece. Good times.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Christina! I'd love to go to Greece. Someday :)

carla said...

LOVE THE ARC!!!