"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Sunday, July 19, 2009

My Gift to you for the Week

I hope everyone had a great weekend! We finally managed to see Ice Age 3 (in 3D), during which my 8-year-old howled with laughter. He is the perfect age for this humor level.

At the bookstore this weekend I picked up:
Not sure which will be next. It will depend on some random number of variables, none of which I can probably articulate now.

***

Anyway, the other day I folded about seven loads of laundry. I'm not sure why it always ends up being seven, but this seems to be critical mass. We do have nine laundry baskets, so that leaves two to spare. Regardless, I'd put it all away except for hanging a bunch of my husband's shirts.

He asked, nicely, of course, why I hadn't hung his shirts yet to which I replied that I hadn't gotten around to it.

Funny guy that he is, he and the kids secretly made this and gave it to me.


My gift to you for the week is your own round tuit. Keep this picture in your mind and use it to help you get a couple things done off your procrastination list. Clean the junk drawer. Do the critique. Fill out the character worksheet. Whatever it is, get around to it.

***

And yes, I know this is advance planning, but here I am in a picture with the awesome Jessica Lee Anderson (stolen from Greg Leitich Smith's blog) from this past Saturday's SCBWI meeting. Jessica's book, BORDER CROSSING, is coming out this fall. It's awesome which I know because I've read it, and when it comes out, you guys totally should, too!


Anyway, Jessica and I are having a joint book release party Sunday, October 18th at 2:00 PM at BookPeople. Put it on your calendar now 'cause it's going to be a blast!

And have a great week!

29 comments:

Christine M said...

My aunt used to have a round tuit. Very cool. Sounds like you had a good weekend.

Jim Danielson said...

Its been a while since I've seen a "round tuit"

PJ Hoover said...

A round tuit is a nice thing to have, Chris! I'm keeping mine by my desk!

I'm always looking for the blast from the past stuff to post, Jim!

~Aimee Maher said...

Ha! I've never seen a round tuit, so that was a gas. Apparently, I live under a rock. A very well equipped electronic one.

Solvang Sherrie said...

I like the round tuit!

We saw Ice Age 3-D with the kids, although for my husband it ended up being an expensive nap ;)

adrienne said...

I remember the round tuit! Handy reminder.

Carrie Harris said...

That round tuit made me laugh so hard. I didn't realize how much I needed that laugh until just now. :)

beckylevine said...

Ha! I think there's something about mid-summer. The stuff that isn't done yet suddenly is THERE. My TUIT today is cleaning out the bathroom cupboards & drawers. Well, MY cupboard and drawer. The guys will have to get their own TUIT to do the others. :)

Kimberly Derting said...

Loved the round Tuit!!!! My first laugh of the morning.

PJ Hoover said...

I'd never seen one either, Aimee, so it definitely made me smile! We must be living under similar rocks!

Thanks, Sherrie! There were a couple parts where my eyes started to droop in Ice Age 3. I blame it on the glasses :)

So you've seen it before, Adrienne! It is nice as a reminder to stop procrastinating!

So glad I helped with your laugh, Carrie! Isn't it amazing what a little laughing can do?

That's exactly what it is, Becky! Mid-Summer OMG I have so much I wanted to get done around the house not to mention a manuscript I wanted to write! Ack! Where is it going?????

I love the Round TUIT, too, Kimberly! The more I thought about it, the more I liked it!

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

Trisha Pearson said...

A round tuit! Too funny! I'd never seen one before either. I don't dare tell me family about it or they'd be giving them to me all the time.

PJ Hoover said...

LOL, Trisha! Now you can keep the image in your mind to help inspire you, but not let them in on the secret!

Aerin said...

My kids loved Ice Age 3 (they're 5 and 3, one's autistic so we didn't see it in 3D because of sensory issues) and I loved that they sat with me for the hour and a half.

Mysterious Benedict Society is on my TBR shelves.

And Mr. Aerin would be dead...D.E.D dead...if he tried to gift me a tuit.

Christina Farley said...

7 loads! This is what I have to look forward to? I am at 5 loads right now, thanks to having small kids. But I've a feeling with two little boys becoming two dirty BIG boys, that will all change.

I want to pick up Wake too. Let me know how it is!

PJ Hoover said...

Oh, Aerin, you are cracking me up! I'm going to relay that bit of info back to Mr. Hoover :)

Christina, I'm either folding each load as it comes out or letting them stack up to seven. There seems to be no in between for me!

Danyelle said...

Frogs of Doom sound fascinating! I need a round tuit, and a maid to go along with it. :D

Vivian said...

Argh! Laundry is endless at my house. The worst is the missing socks--what happens to them?

A joint book release party sounds fun! Happy planning!

PJ Hoover said...

I've got the round TUIT, but I'd love to have a maid, Danyelle!

Laundry is one of those never-ending tasks, isn't it, Vivian. Maybe I have your missing socks here. Or you have mine?

Barrie said...

Why oh why don't I live closer to you? Then I could come to all your book signings!

PJ Hoover said...

That would be a blast, Barrie! Oh, the fun we'd have :)

Tess said...

How exciting to plan a book launch!!!! and couple it with a friends at the same time? wonderful stuff.

thanks for the thumbs up in Ice Age 3, it's on our summer to do list.

PJ Hoover said...

I'm really excited to be sharing a release party, Tess! It's going to quadruple the fun!

Kelly H-Y said...

Nine?!?! Yikes!
TUIT ... love it ... I'll definitely remember that!
So excited to hear about your upcoming joint release party! Awesome!

Shelli said...

wish I could be there. have fun!

carla said...

Ill be there at yer soiree!

getting it together to try and get out of town.

coffee when Im back?

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Kelly! The TUIT is keeping me focused :)

Wish you could, too, Shelli! Soon we'll be hearing about your release party!

Yes, Carla! Coffee Coffee and more Coffee! How about that place where the gate keeps kids in. Jungle Java?
:)

Nora MacFarlane said...

Love the round tuit!!

Lenore said...

Our church used to hand those out to remind us to read our bibles.

PJ Hoover said...

Me, too, Nora! And welcome back to the blog world!

Too funny, Lenore! So did you get around to reading the Bible?