"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Osceola Mills, Brick Collecting, ATVs and POVs

Before I forget, we're celebrating Moon Day and giving away a copy of The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan over at The Spectacle.
Head over and enter for your chance to win!

***

I hope everyone had a great Fourth of July weekend! I have to say, in my collection of Fourth of Julys, this past one ranks up way near the top in terms of enjoyment. I'll summarize what I managed to do without boring everyone to tears with regalement of my personal vacation. In Osceola Mills, PA, here's what I did:

  • I hung out with aunts, uncles, cousins, neighbors, parents, and kids.
  • I saw one of the best fireworks displays yet. And this is a small town display. It was amazing.
  • I went to a carnival complete with a Ferris wheel no way I was going on. Instead my cousin braved it with my daughter.
  • I ate totally yummy homemade Polish Chruschici.
  • I took the long way into town via Philipsburg. I tried to convince my mom it was an adventure.
  • I roasted marshmallows over a real fire in the gravel driveway.
  • I went to a dance in the fire station.
  • I went on four ATV rides and saw GIANT anthills.
  • I collected 20 new antique bricks for my collection.
  • I dug for treasures outside an old mine. We found old rails, bricks, a hook, and a shovel head.
  • I watched "the guys" harrow and spread lime.
  • I saw a snail migration.
  • I scared the heck out of my kids by hiding in the spooky cellar.
Okay, the list could go on. But suffice it to say, it was a blast! There's something about getting out in the middle of nowhere and talking to nature that really helps with relaxation. My kids are old enough to stay out of too much trouble (believe it or not), and since my mom washed all the dishes, my responsibilities plummeted.

Check out these beauties!

That said, I've been talking about how I haven't gotten any writing done while on vacation, but...
I've done a ton of thinking. And I figured out where I need to start my new WIP, how to work the dual POV thing, and what each POV character's story will be. If I'd been doing nothing but writing, I wouldn't have figured this out. Really, the revelation came to me on the last ATV ride, and I have to say, it's brilliant (or so I think).

My POV revelation is why I'm smiling

Anyway, here's photo proof you can give to your critique group when they say "no one uses a rotary phone these days".

Rare photo of rotary phone in use

And in the garage this just brought back horrible memories of Junior year high school English and Citizen Kane. Did anyone else suffer through this like me?

Rosebud?

We also found a deer skull in the woods which my son happily claimed and staked in the yard. My cousin was nice enough to make a tombstone with a fun epitaph for the unfortunate dead fellow.

New tomb in Osceola

I'll be back to more often blogging next week, so until then, I hope you all are getting a ton done, having a great time, and enjoying life!

27 comments:

Christine M said...

Sounds like a great Fourth!

Casey McCormick said...

I have two black rotary dial phones but neither are hooked up at the moment.

Love the bricks! That certainly does sound like a fabulous 4th and vacation combined.

Glad you worked out your POV issues!

B.J. Anderson said...

Sounds like you had a great fourth! And that old phone is awesome. I thought my grandma was the only one who had one of those things anymore.

PJ Hoover said...

It was a blast, Chris!

Hook one up, Casey! I want to now. I think I will once I get back to TX. And I'm thrilled about the POV thing. Good progress!

Too funny, BJ! Yes, the house we went to is my grandparents old house!

Thanks for visiting!

beth said...

I love it when ideas hit when you're not looking for them!

Robyn Campbell said...

Great bricks for your collection!

Okay PJ, let me get this straight. You didn't want to go on the Ferris wheel, but you wanted to go on the ATV ride? I take it was slow? Hehehehe

Sounds like you had a relaxing time.

Back to work! :)

PJ Hoover said...

Me, too, Beth! This is the best and probably makes for the most natural writing!

I know, Robyn, but those Ferris wheels are scary and let's not get started about roving carnival ones. How do we know they got all the screws in the right place?

Have a great night!

Rebecca said...

Sounds like a wonderful time, PJ!

Kelly said...

You packed in the good times! Glad you had an awesome 4th!

beckylevine said...

Sounds like you're having a wonderful trip. And YAY for story revelations and cousins who go on ferris wheels. Really, what more could you ask for?!

C.R. Evers said...

Sounds like you've had a great 4th!

I think your brick collection sounds really cool! I'd love to hear more about your bricks, where they come from and what inspires you to choose the bricks that you have. very cool.

LOL @ Rosebud. :0)

Trisha Pearson said...

It sounds like a fun, relaxing vacation was just what you needed to sort out your POV thing. That's awesome! I love the antique bricks but I'm curious about how you will get them home - they look a little big and plentiful to stuff in a suitcase!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Welcome back. Sounds just like a really fine vacation and perfect for idea percolation.
Trisha beat me to my question: I want to know about the Great Brick Transport!

Lenore said...

Oh yeah, I had to ride on a sled like that quite a few times!

PJ Hoover said...

It was fun, Rebecca!

Thanks, Kelly! And Happy Birthday!

Totally agree, Becky! I was hating the thought of going on that Ferris wheel :)

Thanks, Christy! I love the bricks. I was thinking about putting together a webpage for them, and if so, I'll let you know! Yes, LOL about Rosebud :)

Trisha and Tricia, the bricks are staying in Pennsylvania. I figure I'll probably find more up there anyway in the future, so why not? They probably weigh 100 pounds!

Me too, Lenore! And it was FUN! Of course that was before high school English!

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

Jill Douglass said...

Sounds like a great vacation. Let me know when you're back in town. We should do a playdate (at the pool, perhaps).

lynn said...

haha I love that you got your revelation on the ATV ride :) Actually, it makes sense--I do some of my best story-thinking while in the car. Something about the sight and feel of moving helps the brain work, I guess.

Glad to hear your vacation was awesome!

PJ Hoover said...

We are so up for a playdate, Jill! I'll get in touch once we get back!

It does make a nice story, doesn't it, Lynn. When creativity strikes! Funny :)

Lady Glamis said...

I'm so glad you're having a great time still. Awesome pictures. That phone is sweet. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Michelle! Nothing like your awesome pictures :) And I love the phone, too!

Miriam S.Forster said...

"If I'd been doing nothing but writing, I wouldn't have figured this out."

This happened to me this week. I finally reworked my most troublesome character. While sitting in the car. With three kids. While my sister ran errands.

The Muse is an odd beast...

Lauren said...

Those bricks look too cool. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend! I think that thinking time can be even more productive than writing time sometimes. Wow...said time a lot there. I hope your thoughts gel into some awesome plot-points :)

PJ Hoover said...

Yay, Miriam! We must be on the same wavelength!

Thanks, Lauren! I'm excited to see where my new thoughts take me!

Solvang Sherrie said...

It's amazing the brilliance that comes from a ride on an ATV :)

PJ Hoover said...

I know, Sherri! I think that detail will make a nice addition when I mention where I get my inspiration :)

Christy Raedeke said...

I need an ATV ride, stat! What a great place to find inspiration.

Your trip looks like a hoot!

PJ Hoover said...

ATV rides rock, Christy! I'm psyched for revisions already!