"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, August 07, 2009

Five on a Friday

Hope everyone's had a great week!

1) First off, huge congratulations to Varian Johnson and Jennifer Taylor for graduating from the Vermont MFA program! I went to an awesome happy hour last night to celebrate and didn't manage to take a single picture. But trust me when I say it was a blast!

2) I've determined the perfect recipe for writing is heading to the library to write while your house and deck are being power-washed and painted. Avoid the noise. Be doubly productive.
*Note - this would not be possible without the summer camp my kids are in this week and next. :)

3) Books my 8-year-old son has recently read and loved:



Samantha Hansen Has Rocks In Her Head by Nancy Viau
Third-Grade Baby by Jenny Meyerhoff
Doc Wilde and the Frogs of Doom by Tim Byrd

These are all great for that reader who doesn't quite want to pick up Harry Potter yet and read it (which speaking of, I have yet to see the movie).

4) Writing workshop tomorrow! Details to follow next week. Love getting together with writers for an entire day, especially way cool ones.

5) And speaking of writing conferences, if you live in the area or just want to travel, here are two amazing events you may want to consider attending:

First, there's the conference led by acclaimed authors Kathi Appelt and Sharon Darrow on October 2nd and 3rd hosted by the Vermont College of Fine Arts MFA in Writing for Children & Young Adults Day. This is going to be amazing!

And then, January 30th, 2010, there's our Austin SCBWI conference (where, yes, I am going to be a featured author along with a bunch of way cool people including authors, editors, and agents). You can find all the details on the Austin SCBWI website, and registration opens September 1st.

Have a great weekend!

20 comments:

Miriam S.Forster said...

Hey, am I first? *looks around to see if anyone else is sneaking ahead of her*

Miriam S.Forster said...

Yah! I was first!

Doc Wilde and the Frogs of Doom, huh? I am ALL over that! *makes note to check out Doc Wilde as soon as she has a library card*

Have a great weekend, PJ!

PJ Hoover said...

It's a slow comment day, Miriam!
Definitely check it out from the library. My son really liked it! He kept talking about it.
Have a great weekend, too!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I love your double-productivity--nothing like checking items off the to-do list while still writing. A most wonderful weekend to you!

Jim Danielson said...

Sharon Darrow is fantastic! (I'm sure Kathi Appelt is too -- I just have never heard her speak).

beth said...

I've heard *so much* about the MFA program in Vermont. Maybe I should enter yankee territory...

PJ Hoover said...

Double productivity is the best, Tricia! Have a great weekend, too!

So great to hear, Jim! I've met Kathi but never Sharon. So does this mean you'll be traveling down here?

I've heard the program is fantastic, Beth. The best. Maybe when my kids get a bit older.

See ya!

Keri Mikulski said...

Have a great weekend, PJ! Enjoy the workshop. :)

Love Nancy - she's an amazing author and person. :)

Lenore said...

I'd love to visit Austin someday.

PJ Hoover said...

Nancy is a doll, isn't she, Keri! I saw you have a joint signing with her. Have a blast!

Austin would love to have you, Lenore! Come anytime :)

B.J. Anderson said...

Holy cow, you're busy!!! And I have to check out that Frogs of Doom book. And thanks for the heads-up on the conferences. I love conferences. :D have a good weekend!

PJ Hoover said...

Conferences are a blast, B.J.! Nothing like them. Have a great weekend, too!

Mark Et said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nora MacFarlane said...

Love your perfect recipe for writing. My daughter is gone for 2 weeks as well. The house is almost too quiet. Almost.

PJ Hoover said...

Too quiet! I can't imagine, Nora. Enjoy it.

Kelly H-Y said...

Fabulous ... thanks for the book suggestions ... those are just around the corner for my son! We'll have to keep those in mind.

PJ Hoover said...

All great books, Kelly! It's a hard age to find books for (for some reason - I can't figure out why).

nancy-v said...

Glad your son enjoyed my Sam!
HAPPY SUMMER!
:)

beckylevine said...

3 cheers for summer camp. And the conference sounded wonderful!

PJ Hoover said...

He loved your Sam, Nancy!

Summer camp is the best, Becky! At least until school starts.