"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Five on a Friday

Happy Friday! I feel like I'm finally back in my normal school year groove. I even made it to my son's school library to volunteer today. Love that both copies of THE EMERALD TABLET were checked out!

My five for the week:

1) It's the moment you've all waited so patiently for. Who will get Critter?

Critter's friend is sad. Or if I was pretending to show and not tell, I may say, "Tears pour from Critter's best friend's eye."

Well, it looks like Critter will be heading to the Biltmore because

Beth Revis
at Writing it Out is the winner!!!!!

Beth, email me your address and I'll get him out!
Goodbye Critter! We've loved having you here in Austin!

2) Huge thank you to Liz Garton Scanlon for naming THE EMERALD TABLET as one of her best summer reads.
In case you don't know, Liz's newest picture book, ALL THE WORLD, just came out this week! I can't wait to get my hands on one!
In case you live in Austin, Liz will be celebrating at BookPeople on Saturday, September 26th at 11:30.

3) And speaking of Austin and BookPeople, our SCBWI meeting is this Saturday, September 12th, at 11:00. Chris Barton, author of the brand new picture book THE DAY-GLO BROTHERS (Again, I can't wait to get my hands on one!) is speaking on writing picture book biographies.

(There seems to be a picture book theme going on.)

4) And speaking of Austin SCBWI (do you like my train-of-thought thing), registration for our annual conference opens on Saturday, September 12th. This conference is going to be huge. It's going to be amazing. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a featured author.

Conference faculty includes:


Check the website for details.

And seriously consider coming!

There are critiques available, and tickets for a Friday night party at Authors Cynthia and Greg Leitich Smith's home and a Saturday night BBQ party at Author Meredith Davis' home.

5) I'm off to Oklahoma next Thursday and Friday for an author panel at the Oklahoma school librarian's conference (also known as Encyclomedia). More on that next week, but I'm getting my PowerPoint all updated and starting to get excited!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

30 comments:

ElanaJ said...

Wow, that list of people just makes my hands sweat--including you! Sounds like a blast. :)

Miriam S.Forster said...

Hooray for Beth!! And hooray for you having your books checked out of the library. That's awesome. :)

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Yowzer, that is a great lineup for the conference. Very cool. And, Beth, I can't wait to see your adventures with Critter. Congrats!

Kelly said...

Safe travels for Critter!
Wow, that conference has a great line up including you!! I was hoping to go to my state conference but have two weddings on the same day. I so hate to miss a great SCBWI event!

PJ Hoover said...

I'm so excited about the conference, Elana. It should be one of our best ones yet. So does that mean you're coming?

Thanks, Miriam! I love that kids are actually reading it.

I can't wait to see where Beth takes Critter, too, Tricia. And I was super excited when I saw the conference lineup. I can hardly wait.

PJ Hoover said...

Two weddings? Wow, Kelly! But if you have to miss SCBWI, two weddings is a great thing (and fun thing) to do it for.

beckylevine said...

Congrats on the great review! The conference looks wonderful, too. :)

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I'll conference with you in spirit from my SCBWI Lousiana retreat.

Robyn Campbell said...

Man I wish that I could come to your conference. It sounds AWESOME! :)

Congrats to my writing partner. Maybe she'll bring Critter to our meeting at the coffee shop. At least I can meet him. No evil intent here, Bwa ha ha ha

Have a wonderful weekend PJ! :)

~Aimee States said...

I love The Biltmore. Don't let Critter near the wine tasting.

MG Higgins said...

Congrats to Beth. I'm quite jealous. What a fantastic conference lineup!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Becky! So does that mean you'll come to the conference?????

Conferencing in spirit is always good, Caroline.

I hope you get to meet Critter, Robyn. I bet Beth could arrange it.

Critter does love beer, Aimee, but I think he prefers only red wine. Or maybe that's me :)

Thanks, MG. the great thing about Critter is there is always another chance...at least 13 more.

have a great weekend!

lotusgirl said...

You are some kind of busy. Congrats to beth. Critter will have fun in NC. It's lovely here. Especially right now. The weather is fabulous!

Tabitha said...

Hey, I know two of those people on that conference list - you and Andrea Cascardi!! :) It looks like it's going to be a fabulous conference!

And congrats Beth! I'm looking forward to reading about Critter's adventures at your house. :)

PJ Hoover said...

I think it is so fun Critter is heading around the country, Lois. He loves nice weather :)

Two people is reason enough to come, Tabitha. Don't you want to meet your agent in person?????

Crystal said...

Wow! What an AWESOME faculty lineup! Wish I lived in Austin, or at least an hour or two away . . . :)

Kiki Hamilton said...

Wow - that sounds like some kind of line-up for your SCBWI conference. I think the Author's party at Cyn's house sounds really fun! Wish I was closer!!

PJ Hoover said...

Crystal, you're not so far away. It's worth traveling for :)

You should come, Kiki! I'm excited for the party at Cyn's house already.

Thanks for visiting!

T. Anne said...

Big congrats Beth!
The conference sounds amazing. I wish I could go to more of these.

PJ Hoover said...

Conferences are always such a blast, T. Anne. Do you have a local one?

Tess said...

How cool would it be to go to your child's library and find your book has been checked out??? That is a wonderful thing!

Trisha Pearson said...

Your conference sounds great! How exciting to be a featured author. And to know both copies of The Emerald Tablet were checked out. Congrats!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Tess! It makes me happy :)

I'm really excited to be featured at the conference, Trisha. It's going to be awesome!

Happy weekend, all!

beth said...

WOOT!!!! I am beyond stoked that I get to see Critter!!! WOO-HOO!!!!!! :) Thanks so much PJ!!

PJ Hoover said...

Critter is stoked to see you, Beth! He's in the packaging ready to go.

Angela said...

Oh, I'm too late to post about Critter...I'm off to cyber stalk him so more...

the Austin event sounds GREAT!

Keri Mikulski said...

Great stuff, PJ!! Enjoy the conferences! Wish I lived closer. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Angela, Critter, unlike us, loves being cyber stalked! I plan to follow his round the world!

Thanks, Keri! I wish you did, too :)

Nora MacFarlane said...

That's a fabulous list - now, if Austin were just a little closer to Cincinnati...

PJ Hoover said...

Austin is only a plane ride away, Nora!