"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Book Release Party and Other Random Bits

There's nothing that quite makes an author feel like a superstar as having her name on the marquee. Check this one out, no less right there with Kate DiCamillo.

Me with Jessica Lee Anderson

BookPeople were fabulous hosts for the joint book release party with Jessica Lee Anderson. We had a fabulous time! Thank you so much to everyone who came out to see us! A book party is a really special day, and I am so fortunate to have so many wonderful people I consider friends to celebrate with.
Like, look - Jody Feldman, author of THE GOLLYWHOPPER GAMES, came all the way from Missouri for the party. (okay, so she was in San Antonio for school visits - it was still a drive.)

Me with Jody Feldman

I've posted more pics over on the Forgotten Worlds Facebook Fan Page in case you want to buzz over and check them out!



But one last pic. Check out the copies of my book!


*Note - If you want a signed copy and didn't make the party, BookPeople has them in stock.

*****

In other news, I'm quoted in our Austin Newspaper, the Austin American Statesmen, on my thoughts on WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE. Here's the link. I say:

"WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE was the book I always wanted to own. Teachers and librarians read it to me in the class and the library, but for some reason beyond me, it never made its way to my home. It was like an adventure book I always wanted to be a part of. So guess what? As soon as I had kids, I ran to the bookstore and bought it. And read it. And loved it. But I always thought it was longer."

***

Monday I am going to be interviewed on Book Bites for Kids. Here's the link. It's at 2:00 Central Time on Monday, October 19, 2009. Listen in!

*****

Check out Beth Revis's blog this week! She's giving away a copy of THE EMERALD TABLET and THE NAVEL OF THE WORLD. In addition, she'll be gathering interview questions from blog readers to ask me. So pop over and put forth a question!

*****

And here's one final picture of Team "Nogicals Rule". Wonder what a Nogical is? Read THE EMERALD TABLET to find out!


*****

Hope everyone has a great week!

37 comments:

Christine M said...

Wow! It looks like it was a great party! And Nogicals totally rule! Congratulations on a great launch party!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Chris!

Kim Baccellia said...

You guys have just too much fun in Texas! Wish I could have been there! Love the shirts and the photo of both of your books! Very cool!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Kim! I loved the shirts! It'll be fun to wear places :)

Miriam S.Forster said...

I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!

Everything looks super awesome, and it sounds like you had a blast.

So how does it feel to be "PJ Hoover, author of multiple books?" :)

Danyelle said...

You are all kinds of awesome! Congratulations!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I love the symmetrical, shiney awesomeness of your stacks of books! And a name on a marquee--does it get any better? Woohoo!

Keri Mikulski said...

Congratulations! :)

beth said...

*SUCH* a cute picture of Team Nogicals!

storyqueen said...

Congratulations! What a great event....and a marquee!

Coo-el.

Shelley

Lauren said...

Looks like a fabulous party :) The shirts are awesome! Congrats about your newest book!

Cynthia Leitich Smith said...

Greg and I had such a terrific time. You and Jessica should give a talk or write an article on event planning!

PJ Hoover said...

It's feels pretty cool, Miriam! But there is something special about the debut book.

Thanks, Danyelle!

It is hard to get better than a marquee, Tricia. This is one of the best things!

Thanks, Keri!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Beth! I loved the Team picture :)

Thanks, Shelley!

Thank you, Lauren! I love how the shirts turned out. They were very fun!

Thank you, Cynthia and Greg for coming and for all the support! An article is a great idea! Or maybe I should go into event planning :)

MG Higgins said...

Cool! That is so exciting!! Keep enjoying the moment. It looks like you are!

adrienne said...

I loved your thoughts on Where the Wild Things Are.
Congrats on the launch party!

PJ Hoover said...

Thank you, MG, for the warm wishes!

Thanks, Adrienne! I'm looking forward to seeing the movie, too!

Erin Edwards said...

Totally awesome event! Yes, you guys who weren't here really missed out. Especially on the Mexican Wedding Cookies. PJ and Jessica made them and they are the *best* I have had. I have to have the recipe (*please*) complete with things like brands of butter and vanilla you used. I want to get it exactly the same.

I haven't gotten to read the book yet - my son is hogging it. Even took it to school. :)

Crystal said...

PJ, that is one COOL marquee! Congratulations on having a successful book release! Looks like evrone had a BLAST! :)

Oh, and you have such an ADORABLE family . . . the pic is too cute!

Tabitha said...

Yay PJ!!! Looks like it was lots of fun! I wish I could have been there...

Kelly H-Y said...

SO COOL!!!!!! Wow ... what a great feeling! I'm so excited for you! Such fun pics too!!!!

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Erin! I will find the recipe and get it to you! I think I tossed it, but we've had so many complements on the cookies, I need to get it from Jessica! And I'm so glad your son took it to school :)

Thank you, Crystal! I brought the family along because I think they make me look better :) Nothing like coordination!

Wish you could have, too, Tabitha!

Thank you, Kelly!

Ron Smith said...

Very cool! You are a total rock star.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Ron! The marquee totally has that effect!

gabe said...

Congrats, PJ! Lucky you!

Kelly said...

Wow! Love the pics and the awesome tshirts! Congrats, PJ!!!

Jody Feldman said...

It was such a treat for me to be there. You both were wonderful. Can't read to dive into the book. I'm saving it for the plane ride home ... if I can wait that long.

PJ Hoover said...

Thank you, Gabe!!

Thanks, Kelly! I can't wait to wear my t-shirt around places :)

Jody, it was such a treat for you to come. I appreciate it beyond belief!

Sheri said...

This is awesome, PJ! How nail-bitingly-exciting!

Vivian said...

Love the t-shirts! Glad your book signing went well. It must be a fantastic feeling to see your books on display! Congrats!

Carrie Harris said...

So so awesome. I was sorry not to be able to be there in person, but I was totally there in spirit. I was the one standing behind people and saying "ooga booga."

Lenore said...

What a great family outing!!

Casey McCormick said...

Oh, it looks like you had a great release party! I LOVE the "Nogicals Rule" shirts. What a great picture, that last one!

PJ Hoover said...

Thank you, Sheri! It was really exciting and so much fun!

I loved seeing the books on display, Vivian! I thought they looked really nice together. Hopefully others will too :)

I heard you there in spirit, Carrie. I was wondering who was making the ooga booga comments. Heckler.

The family had a blast, Lenore!

Thanks, Casey! I think I'm going to get that picture framed.

Barrie said...

Glad to hear the party went well. LOVE the marquee. And how wonderful that Jody was there!

Christina Farley said...

What a party! I love your family picture especially. The t-shirts are great.

PJ Hoover said...

Jody was a treat, Barrie! So nice to see her!

The t-shirts were fun, Christina! My kids love wearing them :)