"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Sunday, December 06, 2009

Saturday Salon

One of my favorite weekend activities (besides Mario Kart)?
Hanging out with some writing pals, talking about everything from blogs to twitter and from agents to editors.

Me and fellow Texas Sweetheart Jessica Lee Anderson

The most awesome Liz Garton Scanlon (author of ALL THE WORLD, the picture book that's going to be distributed in Cheerios boxes in 2010, in case you forgot) hosted some authors from the Austin writing community at her home this past Saturday. Twenty-one authors, two cats, and one dog joined in for three hours of coffee, enough breakfast food to feed twenty Cub Scout packs, and excellent conversation.

Mark Mitchell, Lindsey Lane, Tim Crow, Liz Garton Scanlon, Don Tate, and Varian Johnson

The best message about blogging, care of Lindsey Lane, author of SNUGGLE MOUNTAIN: Blog readers like to know something about your personal life, but they don't want to smell your underwear.

Don Tate, K. A. Holt, and fellow Texas Sweetheart Jessica Lee Anderson

The best message about social marketing from Cynthia Leitich Smith, author of ETERNAL:
Don't say anything on the Internet that you wouldn't say at the podium at a library conference (or at the table with a group of librarians at lunch afterward).

Carmen Oliver and Jenny Ziegler

We also did an awesome book swap where I managed to snag copies of BULL RIDER by Suzanne Morgan Williams and UNWIND by Neal Shusterman.

Okay, how do you finish off such a perfect time? You stop by your local Barnes and Noble where Chris Barton happens to be signing copies of his new picture book, THE DAY-GLO BROTHERS.

Chris Barton

Happy Monday! And if you're interested, buzz over to The Spectacle where we're talking about THE MAZE RUNNER by James Dashner.

14 comments:

Miriam S.Forster said...

Nice! I seriously need to move to Texas, I think. You guys are having way too much fun down there. :)

Suzanne Morgan Williams said...

OH, glad you picked up Bull Rider. And I have to second that - you guys are having way too much fun. Is that a Texas thing?

Christina Farley said...

What good times! I love all the pictures you put in there. It makes me feel like I'm there too!

storyqueen said...

How fun was that?? I'd love to have had your Saturday!!

awesome.

Shelley

Carrie Harris said...

Oh, Unwind is SOOO good, but painful at the same time. I hope you like it.

PJ Hoover said...

You should more here, Miriam! You'd fit right in!

I'm so excited, Suzy! It was on my Christmas list, but now I get to read it early. And yes, it is a Texas thing. Austin to be specific.

It was a fun picture taking event, Christina! Such a friendly group of people.

Thanks, Shelley! I relish the weekends I get to get together with other authors!

Just started it last night, Carrie. I'd been putting it off based on concept, but I'm dedicted to reading it now. Kind of like a NEVER LET ME GO. Did you read that?

beckylevine.wordpress.com said...

What a wonderful weekend. And I love the thoughts about blogging/the Internet!

Amy Allgeyer Cook said...

That sounds so fun!! I'm jealous. ;)

PJ Hoover said...

The underwear comment cracked me up, Becky!

It was a blast, Amy! I'm already looking forward to the next one.

Kelly said...

What a fun, supportive writing community you have there in Texas!
Great (and funny, but true) tips!
Love the book swap idea too!

Vivian said...

I can't believe how much you all get together! What a great group!

PJ Hoover said...

The book swap was a blast, Kelly! It's like you're getting free books!

Thanks, Vivian! We enjoy it!
I hope all is going great!

Kimberly Derting said...

OMG, how fun, PJ! I'm jealous of your get-together! And now every time I'm about to hit enter, I'm going to remember that social networking tip.

PJ Hoover said...

But maybe the public does want to know about your underwear, Kimberly! Or not :)