"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Five on a Friday

Revisions have pushed everything else to the backburner this past week. Well, revisions and a 3rd grade art project (on Picasso), a solar system project, a Cub Scout derby car, and me polyurethaning the floor. It's good to be busy.

I hope everyone had a fantastic and productive week! Here are my five:

1) I had a blast at Baranoff Elementary today (Thursday) at a school visit. I talked about the Hero's Journey and how it can be used to help with plotting. Baranoff actually got a handfull of people to come out and talk. Here I am with K. A. Holt, author of MIKE STELLAR: NERVES OF STEEL, and Topher Bradfield, BookPeople Kids' Outreach.

K. A., Me, and Topher

2) I give you our awesome Solar System Project. The sun came off so it's being gorilla glued as we speak (or as I type as the case may be).

check out that asteroid belt

3) Huge thank you to Lori Calabrese for reviewing both THE EMERALD TABLET and THE NAVEL OF THE WORLD. Lori runs an amazing kidlit blog, and I am honored that she reviewed both books this week.
My favorite line from the review(s):
"You’ll fall in love with each of the characters in this book and you’ll also be surprised to find out who the villains are. I know I can’t wait for The Necropolis coming Fall 2010."
You can read the reviews in their entirety here and here.

4) Read and finished last week: TRICKS by Ellen Hopkins. This was my first Ellen Hopkins novel and I really enjoyed it.
Currently I'm reading OPERATION YES by Sara Lewis Holmes. Sara will be coming to our Austin SCBWI conference at the end of the month, and I'm looking forward to meeting her! (And loving the book so far, btw)

5) It's been character week over at The Spectacle all week, so if you're looking to work on your character development, head over and check it out!

* For the Friday Roundup from the Texas Sweethearts, check out our blog complete with this picture of our three teapots:


Have a great weekend!

25 comments:

Jim Danielson said...

Jeesh! Just because you had the polyurethane out to make the pinewood derby car glisten is no reason to do the whole floor.

PJ Hoover said...

Ooh, Jim, a shiny derby car would be nice. Now you're giving me ideas :)

Miriam S. Forster said...

Ooo... cute teapots! Sounds like you're super-busy and having lots of fun. :)

As for my week, it was kind of productive and sort of fantastic. My WIP is kicking my bum. I've never written a middle-grade novel before and it's HARD. *whines*

Have a good weekend!

PJ Hoover said...

Busy is good and fun, right, Miriam?
I'm glad you had a productive AND fantastic week! Writing is hard :)

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Love the planets and asteroid belt. Woot!
Way to go on the excellent review. Have a great weekend.

Christina Farley said...

My you are keeping busy! Great work on those planets. Hope your revisions go well.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Tricia! The kids had a blast painting the planets!

Thanks, Christina! I hope all is going well with your writing, too!

Keri Mikulski said...

Wow - what a week! :)

You too! ;)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Keri!

Lori Calabrese said...

That solar system rocks! If you guys don't get an A...:)

Thanks so much for sharing my reviews. I really can't wait for The Necropolis. :)

Have a great day!
Lori

Robyn Campbell said...

Oooo, great review Pat. I can't wait until I have reviews for my book to mention. *she furiously types away*

I love the cute teapots.

You have A LOT going on. Ain't it wonderful? :-)

I'm unplugging next week. See ya after. BTW, Ivy wishes I would have written The Emerald Tablet. *grin*

PJ Hoover said...

Thank you so much, Lori! It makes my day!

Tell Ivy she's awesome, Robyn! But then again, she has an awesome mom. How could she not be :)

lotusgirl said...

I love your solar system. It's nice to see the moons there.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Lois! It was fun gluing all the moons down. My son counted them out.

T. Anne said...

Ha, I love the pic of the teapots! Sounds like you had a brilliant week. No so brilliant here but I'm knee deep in plotting out my next novel. It's just not sparking for me and it seems to have too many storylines.

PJ Hoover said...

Stick with it, T. Anne! It will spark soon and you will love it (this is what I keep telling myself for my new WIP).

Vivian said...

You did the floor yourself? Do you want to come over my house and help me out with some projects?

Sounds like you had a great week. Yay for great reviews!

Enjoy your weekend.

PJ Hoover said...

LOL, Vivian! Some days I want to do the house stuff and some days I want to pay someone else. Enjoy your weekend, too!

Vonna said...

I wish someone had told me about the Hero's Journey when I was in elementary school!

PJ Hoover said...

Ditto, Vonna! The amazing this is how much I knew about it while never knowing about it. So many stories are told using it as a pattern, it's cool!

Kelly H-Y said...

Happy Weekend! Love the Solar System project; thought Lori's review was awesome ... had actually read it right before hopping over to your blog! Congrats!!! Good luck with finishing all your projects this weekend!

Anita said...

Whoa! Sounds like a full week!

I love Topher's hat...wonder where I can get one.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Kelly! The solar system was a blast to work on. I love space!

The hat is fun, isn't it, Anita! I'll ask him next time I see him.

Thanks for visiting!

beth said...

That is one seriously awesome science project!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Beth! I think it will look nice on the wall :)