"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Five on a Friday

Happy Friday!

I'm so looking forward to our Austin SCBWI conference this weekend. We've got a packed schedule filled with fun and lots of great faculty. I'll fill you in on the details next week. But if you're curious about who all is going to be there, you can check out the Texas Sweethearts Friday roundup.

Here are my five for the week:

1) I'm picking up author-editor Lisa Graff of FSG and author Sara Lewis Holmes at the airport. My son was nice enough to make me this awesome sign to hold to greet them.

Can you tell he knows the order of a rainbow?


2) In case you missed it, we featured David Macinnis Gill this week as our Featured Sweetheart. You can read all about David here.


3) Want to win these three awesome books?
  • An ARC of Joni Sensel’s TIMEKEEPER’S MOON
  • An ARC of Heather Brewer’s 11th GRADE BURNS
  • The brand new release INCARCERON by Catherine Fisher
All you have to do is head over to The Spectacle and leave a comment. How easy is that?


4) I love that fellow Texas Sweetheart Jessica Lee Anderson brought me this back from ALA Midwinter. Yes, it's the number one book I'm looking forward to reading this year (HUNGER GAMES 3 aside). Yay!


5) I'm thrilled to present our kick-butt Cub Scout Pinewood Derby car for this year. I'll be at the SCBWI conference and won't be able to see the race, but the wheels all balance, they have graphite, and the thing weighs as close to 5 oz as possible. I'll fill you in on the results next week!


Have a great weekend!

20 comments:

Jonathon Arntson said...

Love the sign and car!

Karen said...

Have fun! Two of my critique partners and I were scheduled to attend, but we live in AR, and it's a big icy mess up here. So sad! The faculty line up is amazing.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Jonathon! I think we both had fun making them respectively :)

So you can't come, Karen??? That is really sad. Maybe the ice will totally melt and go away?
Sniff. Sniff.

Emily said...

Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday! I'm really psyched for my first conference. And I'm SOOOO jealous that you have an ARC of The Dead-Tossed Waves!

Tell your son that I love his pinewood derby shark. Sharks are awesome. I secretly wish I was an ichthyologist.

PJ Hoover said...

You crack me up, Emily! An ichthyologist. You and my son must talk. I'm so psyched, too. It's going to be such a great conference!

Kristi Faith said...

That is one cool car! :0) Have a great weekend.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Have fun this weekend. I so wish I could go. It sounds awesome. I met Cheryl Klein at a Michigan SCBWI conference. She is such a great speaker.

Christina Farley said...

Sounds like heaps of fun! Tell us all about it when afterwards.

Christine M said...

Have a rocking weekend! The car is great! The sign is awesome. Seems like Austin is the place to be this weekend. Wish I could be there.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Kristi! I'm so glad I'm a Cub Scout :)

Thanks, Natalie. I've heard the same thing about what an awesome speaker she is. I'm looking forward to it!

Totally I will, Christina! Thanks!

I wish you could, too, Chris! We must get together again soon. And thank you!

Elana Johnson said...

I'm so jealous you're going to be having a writing weekend! Have a great time.

Cool pinewood derby car!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Elana! I love the car more each time I see it. And I'm so excited for the conference! Love it!
Have a great weekend!

Jonathon Arntson said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower!

(Project: World Domination is only 6.5 billion minions away from complete)

Miriam S. Forster said...

Okay, that's a super-awesome car.

I love your son's letters too. I did a lot of rainbow ordered letters when I was a kid. :)

Vonna said...

Excellent shark--good luck to it! I love the sign, too. Maybe I'll get my son to do one for Ruta Rimas when I pick her up for the Houston conference next month. See you tomorrow!

Shelli said...

wish I could be there!

Marcia said...

That is an awesome car! I remember the pinewood derby days. I even have one of my sons' cars in this office someplace, minus the wheels.

Heather Zundel said...

Okay, those titles alone make it worth it to head over to The Spectacle (if I didn't love the blog enough already) ;) Have a great weekend PJ.

PJ Hoover said...

You're welcome, Jonathon. Best of luck with the world domination!

Thanks, Miriam! Yes there is some fascination with rainbow lettering, isn't there?

Thanks, Vonna! And it was so wonderful meeting you yesterday! I love that!

PJ Hoover said...

I wish you could, too, Shelli!

Thanks, Marcia! I hope to keep the cars forever, too!

Thanks, Heather! I hope you're having a great weekend, too!