"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, January 18, 2010

I bet I can make you smile - Cootie Catcher :)

Okay, so at least one thing in this post should make you smile. If not, I suggest a large heart filled with chocolates. If the chocolates don't work, maybe try watching a Twilight spoof or something else similar on YouTube. And if that doesn't work, take a nap and try again tomorrow.

I'm guessing it's not going to be the post I did over at The Enchanted Inkpot about the interesting cross-breed of historical fiction and fantasy via time travel, but if you're interested in this type of book, head over and take a look.

And it's also probably not the fact that two years running now I've read the Newbery winner BEFORE the award was announced. Yay, me! :) It's like I can predict them or something. Or not.

Okay, maybe it's a picture of this gorgeous ceramic rose I got as a thank you gift from Baranoff Elementary School for my school visit last Thursday. Thank you, Baranoff!

I chose red specifically because I love it.

Still not smiling? Okay, so remember my son's solar system project? Each kid in the class had to comment on the other projects. One kids wrote the comment: "You must have a lot of balls." about my son's project. Ah, humor.

So really, here's what should make you smile, but you have to play along.
You know, we always talk about how we should think positively and all that, so I created for you guys a Writing Affirmations Cootie Catcher. Simply print it out, cut out the square, and fold according to the directions. And then no matter what color or number combination you choose, you'll be given a nice affirmation to think about. Go ahead and do it and see if it doesn't make you smile.
(I'm betting Rebecca Stead used this Cootie Catcher to secure her Newbery award and Grace Lin used it for her recent Today Show appearance.)

Not happy with the thoughts I chose?
Use it as a template and make up your own!


And have a great week!

26 comments:

Kelly H-Y said...

You are a riot! I love it!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Ah. The solar system project. You got me with that one!

Miriam S. Forster said...

*smiles* Thanks, I needed that!

Christine M said...

You definitely made me smile!

TerryLynnJohnson said...

How awesome you got a thank you rose! That is so great! And I totally love your cootie catcher. *smile*

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Kelly! It makes me smile to get the nice answers.

That cracked me up, Tricia. Kids are hilarious!

Me too, Miriam!

Yay, Chris! I'm glad!

I was psyched about the rose, Terry. It's even more gorgeous in person! What an awesome gift.

Take care, all!

Amy Allgeyer Cook said...

Thanks for the laughs!! So funny!

Elana Johnson said...

Very cool! I love that flower and the comment about your son's project. LOL!

Kelly said...

Love it! Fun and inspiring! :)
The comment on your son's project made me LOL...it sounds like something that would be said in our inappropriate household.

PJ Hoover said...

You're welcome, Amy! It made me smile.

Totally LOL, Elana! Kids are amusing.

Kelly, I think your household is probably a ton of fun!

MG Higgins said...

Definitely a few smiles in there! That flower is a tremendous gift.

beckylevine said...

I'm printing this as soon as my new ink cartridge arrives! And you had me smiling at the title. :)

Keri Mikulski said...

Love it!

And I love your new cover. :)

Great chatting with you today. We should do that more often.

Hugs. :)

Rebecca said...

Your entire post made me smile, but that comment about the balls cracked me up!

Christina Farley said...

A box of chocolates? Oh yeah. And I love your writer's game. We used to make those up as kids. My favorite!

Lenore said...

Yes, I'm smiling now! Though a box of chocolates would make me smile even more.

PJ Hoover said...

The flower is so cool, MG. I saw it and was so excited! See, it really is the small things :)

LOL, Becky! I printed in black and white and colored the dots. We ditched the color printer a while back, but I love my laser printer!

I loved chatting with you, too, Keri! Yes, we should do it more often!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Rebecca! The balls comment is hilarious!

My son is always bringing home the cootie catchers, but they write the strangest things in them like "your feet will stink". And since I don't want stinky feet...

I'm with you on the chocolates, Lenore! Do you guys have Valentines Day over there?

Thanks for visiting, all!

Vivian said...

You had me smiling throughout your whole post. Awesome cootie catcher!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Vivian! It's actually very fun to use :)

T. Anne said...

I'm smiling at that rose! How sweet is that? What a lucky girl you are.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Anne! I felt VERY lucky when I saw it. "Yay" went through my mind.

Vonna said...

Yep, the solar system did it!

pauling said...

Hi PJ, Just found you as an author. My almost ready to query story right now is about two cousins that have to enter an ancient Maya city to save their grandfather. So I understand about weird vacations. My ideal one would be to visit Tikal! Your books sound like fun!!

Danyelle said...

*grins* You are made of awesome! I love the Cootie Catcher!

PJ Hoover said...

Glad it made you smile, Vonna!

Welcome, Pauling! Anything ancient Maya sounds awesome. I bet your story is fantastic! Thanks so much for visiting!

Thanks, Danyelle! I'll take all the positive affirmations I can get!