"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Bricks on a Friday

Happy Friday!

So a while back (last summer) I posted about my trip to Osceola Mills, Pennsylvania, and about my new found love of antique brick collecting. I posted a picture of my brick collection and talked about the fun of finding them in the most unusual places.

For reference, here is a picture of my "Osceola" brick.

Okay, here is why I love the Internet. A few months later I got an email from a gal in Canada. She, too, has a love of antique brick collecting, and while walking her dog in Canada, she'd come across a brick with the name Osceola printed on it. She'd googled "Osceola brick" and guess which blog post came up. Yep! You got it. So she emailed me and asked me about the brick. I emailed her back and asked her to send a picture, and we are now officially brick friends in two different countries!

For comparison here is her "Osceola" brick.


A similar thing happened even a longer time ago (2008). I'd posted about an unfortunate incident involving my then 3 year old, multiple pair of craft scissors, and my favorite childhood stuffed animal, Gagloo Greenplatt. If you're looking for some humor, take a minute to read the post.
Anyway, someone in Britain happened to google "Gagloo Greenplatt" and, yes, guess which post they found. They emailed me, mentioned their sister had a stuffed animal of the same name growing up, and wondered if it could be the same model. I emailed back a picture, and yes, it was confirmed that I had a Gagloo Greenplatt friend across the Atlantic Ocean.

Gagloo with his clipped tag

Anyway, those are my fun stories. Anyone have any they want to share?

And have a great weekend!

16 comments:

Kelly said...

Ha Ha! THose are fun stories! Making friends one blog/brick/gagly guy at a time! (I couldn't remember the name of the lil cutie)

Solvang Sherrie said...

Wow, that's pretty wild! Just one more reason to love the internet :)

Amy Allgeyer Cook said...

Too funny. Wish I had a gagloo greenplatt or an osecola brick so I could be your buddy too.

Or, maybe you have a WIP? I have one of those. We could be WIP buddies!

lotusgirl said...

You gotta love the internet. It's helped connect us to people all around the world.

PJ Hoover said...

I love it, Kelly! One brick at a time :)

So agree, Sherrie! There are very cool things out there.

You're my buddy even without the bricks, Amy! And didn't you send me the trading card...

Just like ebay, right Lois! I can bid on things no matter where they are!

Thanks for visiting everyone!

Keri Mikulski said...

Wow, interesting... :) The Internet connects all sorts of people. :)

Gotta love three-year-olds. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Three year olds are hilarious, Keri!

Marcia said...

How did we ever get along without the Internet?

Word verification: ditizati
The airhead elite?

PJ Hoover said...

I have no idea, Marcia. I think we all had more free time.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Brick friends! Gotta love that.

PJ Hoover said...

Totally, Tricia!

Miriam S. Forster said...

I don't know what made me laugh more, the stories or the picture of your stuffed animal. :)

The only story I could think of off the top of my head was meeting this fellow blogger/author who ALSO happened to adore Star Trek...

beth said...

You really need to come see my family's collection of tombstones--they are way cool!

PJ Hoover said...

I met a blogger who loves Star Trek, too, Miriam! We are so in sync :)

Is that an invitation, Beth?

Heather Zundel said...

Such pretty bricks. I love them!!! :D

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Heather!