"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, March 29, 2010

Batteries, Books, and Why I Love Austin

Happy Monday!

First off, a huge congratulations to Shannon Messenger who just signed with my agent, Laura Rennert. I'm thrilled for Shannon! Head over and congratulate her!

It's a short week here with no school Friday and short days Wednesday and Thursday, so I'm going to cram as much writing as possible into today and tomorrow. I get to take a nice diversionary break to change a car battery, but I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit so my fingers don't go numb on me. Also, I'm going to be writing some scripts for our elementary school TV station to advertise the school's upcoming auction. How fun is that? And Friday will be all about planting those shrubs I was supposed to plant this past weekend. Where did the weekend go?

So in the meantime, here are some of the awesome reasons to live in Austin, Texas if you are an author:

Spending the day writing on Friday with K. A. Holt and E. Kristen Anderson (I managed to set the time and snake my way back into the booth before the flash went off)...

And E. Kristen Anderson putting zombie stickers on the wall...

At Spiderhouse Cafe...

which has the most awesome patio in the world. I envision much of April and May spent here...

Seeing author/illustrator Mark Mitchell at the HEB (our grocery store)...

Dinner at Taco Cabana complete with Cerveza (my daughter declared this place "awesome, awesome, awesome")...

A Joint book release party for Varian Johnson and April Lurie both of whom I adore...

April's newest book is THE LESS DEAD and Varian's newest book is SAVING MADDIE.



Hope you guys all have a great week ahead!

30 comments:

Danyelle said...

Good luck with your writing! I can see why you love Austin. I adore your cafe. :)

PJ Hoover said...

The cafe epitomizes Austin, Danyelle, which is why I love it so much!

TerryLynnJohnson said...

I've never been there. Cool picts. And how awesome for Shannon! I'm heading there now.

PJ Hoover said...

Austin is definitely a great place to live (or visit), Terry!

T. Anne said...

I wish I had somewhere cool to write! Enjoy your week!!!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Anne! I hope you have a great week, too.

Solvang Sherrie said...

The cafe looks adorable! And spending time with writer friends is always wonderful. We almost visited Austin a while back. I can't remember why we didn't, but it looks like a great place :^)

C.R. Evers said...

Can I come and live in Austin too? :0) You guys look like you have so much fun.

Have fun will all your stuff, you busy little bee!

And a big congrats to Shannon!

Christy

PJ Hoover said...

I love spending time with writer friends, Sherrie! They actually help in so many ways :)

PJ Hoover said...

Christy, your comment vanished, but you can come here anytime!

Tess said...

busy, busy girl you are - have a great weekend. here's hoping the words flow and the flowers bloom :D

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Those do look like some fun reasons to live in Austin! :-)

PJ Hoover said...

It's good to be busy, right, Tess! And blooming flowers are always a plus.

Austin has a ton going on, Shannon!

Miriam S. Forster said...

I've always said that Texas is one place I'd never want to live, but I recently said this to my husband.

"If we're going to move somewhere, let's move to Austin."

Hope you're happy, PJ, you've totally corrupted me! *grin*

PJ Hoover said...

I can picture us at the booth writing together, Miriam!

Shannon Whitney Messenger said...

Aw, thanks PJ. I feel like I've been inducted into the cool club and I'm just hoping you all won't realize what a dork I am and kick me out! :)

And wow, Austin looks amazing. Yeah, all we have in my town are strip malls and chain restaurants. Maybe I need to move to Texas... :)

PJ Hoover said...

I think all authors fear they'll be kicked out, Shannon :) *le sigh*

Natalie Aguirre said...

Hope you squeeze in a lot of writing. I love Austin. It's a great city.

storyqueen said...

I've only been to Austin once...but it was so cool! I still have my "Keep Austin Weird" mug.

Shelley

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I swear you may get me to move to Texas if you keep this up. ;)

beth said...

ACK! I'm so jealous. Austin sounds amazing.

PJ Hoover said...

LOL, Natalie! When I first read your comment, I thought it said "sneeze in a bunch of writing."

Thanks for the reminder that I need a "Keep Austin Weird" t-shirt for spring, Shelley!

I hope so, Tricia!

Way cool, Beth! You need to come visit! Of course, I need to see The Biltmore :)

Sharon Mayhew said...

Very cool cafe! I'd love to live in Texas...I have a feeling it never gets to minus 50 windchill...

PJ Hoover said...

Never, never, never, Sharon. I'd move south if it did. I am loving this warmer weather.

Barrie said...

I think I'd like life in Austin!!

Lenore said...

Well, maybe I'll at least get to visit Austin someday!

Christina Farley said...

What an adorable cafe! The zombie sign was halarious!

PJ Hoover said...

You would, Barrie! And it's close to OK.

I hope so, Lenore! TLA is here next year (2011). You could come for that :)

The zombie sign cracked me up, Christina! I hope it's still there next time.

Elana Johnson said...

What fun! Hope you get a lot done this week. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Elana! So far, so good!