"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, March 05, 2010

Five on a Friday

I hope everyone had a great week! Here are my five for the week.

******

Tomorrow (Saturday), I'm presenting here in Austin, TX at our SCBWI meeting on how to put POWER into your PowerPoint! I can't wait! So if you live in the area and can make it out, the meeting is
Saturday, March 6th at 11:00 at BookPeople.
Be there (please)!

******

1) I love my Vado HD Video Cam. I want to record everything and piece it together, but I will try to control myself.

2) My son loved the MAGIC THIEF books by Sarah Prineas! So much in fact, after he read the first book, we (I) made the biscuits recipe from the back, and after he read the second, we (I) spent two hours cooking the chicken pot pie recipe from the back.
I felt totally domestic.

3) It turns out grocery shopping is not so dreaded after all. See, on Friday afternoons, our HEB has wine samples, beer samples, and fish samples (given that it's Lent). Last week I had two types of white wine while enjoying salmon with pesto sauce. And I even remembered the toilet paper (but forgot the Tide).

4) The Texas Sweethearts have donated a three-sets-of-eyes critique for the YABC auction. You can read all the details here.

5) I'm the new children's book reviewer for New Age Retailer! In case you don't get NAR, it's the leading trade magazine for the New Age market.
*Note: if your book is an upcoming or recent release and fits in the New Age category in some manner, let me know.

*****

Click here for our Friday roundup from the Texas Sweethearts.

Have a great weekend!

22 comments:

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Oh, I just know that you have the power moves for Power Point. Wish I could be there. Your life sounds busy is a most wonderful way. Have a great weekend.

PJ Hoover said...

Wish you could, too, Tricia! The truth is I used to be petrified of PowerPoint and now I love it!
Have a great weekend, too!

lotusgirl said...

We'll have to check out the Magic Thief books. Those sound interesting.

Danyelle said...

Congrats! Sounds like fun. I love it when books have an extra something that ties in with real life. :)

beckylevine said...

The Magic Thief books were a hit around here,too, although we haven't made the biscuits. Congrats on the new review job!

Angela said...

Oh I think that's so cool you and your son made the recipes together! I bet they were delish, too. :-)

MG Higgins said...

Sounds like a great time. Have fun powering through your PowerPoint! I'm going to check out Magic Thief!

Amy Allgeyer Cook said...

I *want* those Magic Thief books!! Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, we don't have a HEB, but it sounds awesome!

Elana Johnson said...

Have a great time tomorrow. I wish I could be there.

I love those Magic Thief books. They're so well-done. And look at you doing some cooking! :)

PJ Hoover said...

My son loved the books, Lois! He was so disappointed at bedtime when he had to quit reading.

Me, too, Danyelle! I never realized how cool to have those extras. Makes me think...

Make the biscuits, Becky! They are AMAZING good!

PJ Hoover said...

Good beyond belief, Angela. I think I had four. It was dinner one night :)

Thanks, MG! I'm really looking forward to the presentation.

HEB rocks, Amy! We never had them in Virginia, but they are worth moving to Texas for!

I wish you could be here too, Elana! We'll have to meet someday!

Keri Mikulski said...

Happy Friday!! Enjoy your SCBWI meeting. :) Sounds like fun. Wish I was closer.

Robyn Campbell said...

Power point TERRIFIES me. Yikes.

And those Magic Thief books are on the TBR. Another YIKES. That dang pile grows every day.

I wish I could watch your presentation Tricia.

Oh how I wish you could come here for a book signing. Beth and I would treat you to the town. hehe (not much to do, but head to the coffee shop or Walmart.)

Mmmm wine samples. Robyn might come stumbling outta the grocery store with a huge smile on her face. =) Thanks for your prayers for Christopher Tricia. They mean so very much. Happy weekend. =)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Keri! See you in 2 weeks!

It used to terrify me, too, Robyn! And I'd love to come visit you and Beth. Now that would be a blast! And you are so welcome!

ali said...

Thanks for the word on the Magic Thief! My boy is hungry for all books, but sometimes it's hard to choose one from another. But now I know we'll pick up the Magic Thief. (AND he's totally a baker already so I'll let HIM do the cooking on this one!)

PJ Hoover said...

Ali, my son was seriously aching each night he had to put them down. Enjoy his baking!

Vonna said...

Congrats on your gig with New Age Retailer! Sounds fun.

Christina Farley said...

I'm waiting to read the Magic Thief- it's checked out in our library.

And I sure wish I could go to your power point presentation! I have three presentations next week at a conference. I'm nervous and excited but I don't want to bore readers. Any tips you want to share, I'd love to hear them!

Solvang Sherrie said...

Okay, my daughter's class just finished The Magic Thief and she loved it. I tried reading it last year and could not get into it. I suppose I'll try again.

And too funny about the food. My son just asked for quiche after reading about it in the Bone graphic novels. There was a recipe in the most recent one and it turned out really yummy!

PJ Hoover said...

I'm looking forward to it, Vonna! It's a bit different which is nice.

Good luck with your presentations, Christina! I recommend pictures over words above all else.

Sherrie, I haven't read them myself, but he loved them. And the quiche sounds delish! I may have to check that one out!

Heather Zundel said...

Congratulations on the new reviewer position. That's got to be exciting. And yay for video camera love! :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Heather! I love the video cam!