"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Five (things I've done besides writing) on a Friday

I'm totally psyched for the Virginia Festival of the Book. I'm on a panel Saturday, March 20th, at 2:00 pm in case you're in the Charlottesville area! I'll post some pics next week. I'm also having coffee with my agent, Laura Rennert, who will also be there.

*****

I'm cataloging my thoughts on writing while on vacation, but in the meantime, I'll give you five things I'm doing besides writing on vacation:

1) Played three games of croquet today. I won two. My son won one (nice bit of rhyming there). I LOVE croquet. It has to be up there in the top three favorite games to play. Croquet reminds me of sunny days, green grass, and leisure time.

Croquet Painting by Winslow Homer

2) Watch JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, the 1954 version. In case you don't know, this is my all time favorite movie. Love. It. Almost as much as I love croquet.


3) Reading. I've read a few other books and just started WITCH AND WIZARD by James Patterson.

4) Took a nap. And it was a nice one.

5) Put together a YouTube video to play before our Virginia Festival of the Book panel on Saturday. Why? Why not.




*****

And as a special treat, here are five things I have not done while on vacation besides write:

1) Dishes

2) Laundry

3) Cooking

4) Woken up early

5) Commented on too many blogs! I'm sorry! I'll be back commenting next week :)


Happy Friday! Have a great weekend!

23 comments:

Shannon Messenger said...

Ah...naps. I don't think I've had one of those in a year. And wow, I'm impressed with your croquet skills. I can never get that stupid ball to roll where I want it to. Still love it though :)

Vonna said...

I hope you have a great time Saturday. It's nice that you will have a chance to get together with your agent. I met Laura Rennert at a WLT conference once and she was amazing! Your superstar agent is a very nice person.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I used to love croquet.
Cool video! You rock and make me wish I could be in Virginia.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Have fun at the conference and meeting with your agent. It's great not cooking, etc. for a week. That's definitely a vacation.
I just finished Witch & Wizard and really liked it. When I had time to read adult fiction, I really liked James Patterson's books.

Miriam S. Forster said...

Hooray for naps and croquet! I always feel like I should have on one of those poofy dresses whenever I play that game.

Enjoy your vacation!

Christine Marciniak said...

Sounds like an ideal week! But I want to know, did you dress up like that when you played croquet?

Keri Mikulski said...

Sounds like a blast!!

Can't wait to meet you tomorrow!! :) Packing now. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Naps, when they happen, are glorious, Shannon. Nothing like them! We'll have to play croquet together sometime :)

Hey Vonna! I met her at Big Sur and was super impressed with how nice she was. How cool you met her at WLT!

Used to, Tricia? What's up with that? Sounds like something in your future. I wish you could be in VA, too!

PJ Hoover said...

This is the first James Patterson book I've read at all, Natalie. I'll give W&W this: it is different than other YA out there. (or is it MG? I'm still trying to decide).
I LOVE not cooking :)

I want to dress up, too, Miriam! I would love to host regular croquet games but my yard in TX wouldn't support it.

Jeans and a t-shirt all the way, Chris. I could dig out an old Prom dress from my mom's closet and play in that. Or maybe I'll save that for this summer :) (I'm loving that idea).

I am so looking forward to meeting you tomorrow, Keri, though in honesty, I feel like I already know you!

lotusgirl said...

Charlottesville. You're not too far from me. Cool. I'm sorry I won't make it up there. It's gorgeous up there. So enjoy the scenery. Have fun with your agent. I didn't realize it was Laura Rennert. She must be fabulous. She's one of my top choices. I sent a query to her a few weeks ago, but I still haven't heard back from her. Oh well. Still, lucky you. I hope you've been having a fun vacay. I've missed you.

PJ Hoover said...

Not far at all, Lois! I didn't realize you were in NC.
Good luck with they querying! And I've missed the blog world, too!

beckylevine said...

Have a wonderful time on the panel!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Becky!

Marcia said...

Sounds wonderful. I like croquet too! I played it as a child at my Grandma's house with a neighbor. I loved the colored balls and the stripes on the mallets.

PJ Hoover said...

The colors really do make it more fun, don't they, Marcia!

Christina Farley said...

I love naps! I took one today. SPRING BREAK is so awesome!

PJ Hoover said...

Me, too, Christina! Naps rock!

Robyn Campbell said...

I love a good nap. Too bad I never get one. Plus, I'm on a stupid diet. Life can be SOOOOOOO CRUEL. =)

I bet you were wonderful sitting up there on that panel.

I like the older JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH movie too.

Tricia, I can't get my emails to go through to you. And I lost my address book. My domain company(which I'm leaving) switched email services and now my address book and all my folders are gone. And some of the folders had medical info about Christopher in them.

Could you email me so I can get my address to you?

PJ Hoover said...

I emailed you, Robyn!
And I knew we both had good taste with the Journey to the center of the earth movie!

Vivian said...

Sounds like you're having a fantastic vacation!

Barrie said...

It was so great seeing you again!!

Kelly H-Y said...

Sounds lovely! And ... your panel sounds awesome ... it's the one you're on with Keri, right?! Ohhhh, I wish I could be there!!

PJ Hoover said...

It was a blast, Vivian!

So great seeing you, too, Barrie! (as always!)

Keri was a doll, Kelly! It was so n ice to finally meet her in person!