"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, March 08, 2010

SCBWI, Star Trek, and Critiques

So I had a total blast presenting at our Austin SCBWI meeting this past Saturday. I talked about how to put the power into PowerPoint, and I plan to post on that subject separately, but one of the biggest points I tried to get across was that just like our writing should have our voice, our PowerPoint presentations (and presentations in general) should be unique to us. And we should have fun with them. I certainly had a good time!

Huge thank you to everyone who came out to hear me speak!

Me talking about Star Trek, because I believe there is a place for Star Trek in any presentation :)

My upcoming events are a Creative Writing workshop at the high school in Woodstock, VA next week followed by an author panel at the Virginia Festival of the Book. I'm totally looking forward to both! And my agent Laura Rennert will also be in Virginia, so I'll get a chance to catch up with her.

Our author panel at the VA Book Fest

*****

Over on THE TEXAS SWEETHEARTS blog, we have a big announcement and a contest!
First, we've started a critique service. You can check out all the details here!
And second, Madeline Smoot, editor at Blooming Tree Press, has offered up a query and first ten pages critique for one lucky winner. So if you're interested, head over and check it out.

btw, do you know how valuable getting editorial feedback is? It's huge.

*****

Now it's back to writing for me! I'm rocking on my new manuscript and loving it which is most important of all!

Have a great week!

20 comments:

Vonna said...

Sounds like it was a great presentation. Wish I could have been there! I look forward to your posts on this topic.

Anna said...

I'm actually doing a PowerPoint presentation on revision tomorrow with a sixth grade English class. Like you said, I tried to put some of my personality in there, mostly so the students wouldn't get bored! I'm a little nervous about it, but I'm sure it will be fine.

Happy writing!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

That's a good tip about using your own voice in power point.
And, oh, I love Woodstock, VT. I had a great vacation once in that area.
Have fun with that new manuscript!

PJ Hoover said...

I wish you could have, too, Vonna! I'll get it together and post soon.

Add Star Trek, Anna. It always works :) Good luck!

LOL, Tricia! It's actually Woodstock, Virginia, which always made it a cool place to visit!

T. Anne said...

Can I just say I am so impressed with you? You are fearless what with all this public speaking.

Amy Allgeyer Cook said...

Hey PJ! Congrats on the successful and fun SCBWI talk! I have an award (of sorts) for you on my blog. It's odd...I agree. :)

Lenore said...

Happy to hear you'll be at BEA! We definitely have to meet up!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Anne. And the funniest thing is it used to terrify me!

I love the award, Amy! Eggs are delicious. Thank you!

PJ Hoover said...

Totally, Lenore! I'm looking forward to it!

Lady Glamis said...

Oh, I'll check out the contest, cool!

I love the Star Trek comment. There's a place for Star Trek anywhere!

Solvang Sherrie said...

Why am I not surprised that you managed to work in some Star Trek :)

Miriam S. Forster said...

Loved the powerpoint! And with not just any Star Trek. Classic Star Trek. Most excellent of you.

Also love the critique service idea, I know you guys will be awesome. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Great minds think alike, Michelle!

I try, Sherrie! Half the kids appreciate it. Half think I'm a nerd...which I never mind.

Classic rocks, Miriam, doesn't it! And thank you so much!

Kelly said...

I think I used Power Point while speaking at a teacher's conference about ten years ago. But my co-presenter really ran the thing, so basically I have no experience with it...

PJ Hoover said...

Kelly, you would be able to pick it up no problem! And you can insert audio clips :)

storyqueen said...

OMG! I thought I was the only one who thought that a Star Trek reference in a presentation was ALWAYS appropriate! (And a Hogwarts reference as well!)

Shelley

PJ Hoover said...

I will have to add a Hogwarts reference, Shelley, in honor of you!
Kindred spirits!

MG Higgins said...

Glad your PP went well. Adding technology into the mix of a presentation is a little intimidating for me. Thanks for the links! I'm going to check out the crit contest.

Erin Edwards said...

Great job on the presentation! And you even practiced what you preached, not reading from the slides. (or foils!)

I was wondering, is there a story behind the lucky horseshoes that I won one of?

PJ Hoover said...

Technology makes presenting way easier, MG. I never would have thought so, but it's totally true.

Thank you, Erin! And thank you for coming! No story behind the horseshoes. I just like to spread good luck around :)