"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Bats and Camaraderie

Quick note before the post: I'm so excited that our Texas Sweethearts panel was accepted for NCTE this November!
NCTE is a fantastic conference, and this year it's also in the best place in the world. Yes, you guessed it:

Disneyworld!

Whoot Whoot!

Tower of Terror, here I come!

*****

Last night, I had the pleasure of hanging out with R. L. LaFevers of both THEODOSIA fame and Shrinking Violets fame. Robin (R. L.) is a fantastic person, and when I found out she'd be in Austin for the night, I took the opportunity to get a little face time*.

She was staying downtown right next to the famous Austin Congress Street Bridge (of bat fame). Millions of bats fly out each night during the spring and summer months, so we headed over to check them out. We heard them plenty and did see a few, but the crowds of people gathered didn't get much of a show. So after about an hour we headed back to the hotel for a beverage of choice.

*But let's talk about face time for a bit. I've been pretty active online meeting people, reading and talking about books, yet there is nothing like actually getting that face to face interaction. This cannot be replaced via email or even Skype. There are no internet delays. There are no frozen facial expressions. And there are certain messages that can get passed back and forth almost telepathically when two people are together and communicating. (that's kind of deep, isn't it?)

The Iinternet is amazing, but it also creates a bit of an introverted experience. So get out there and do things like going to conferences, scheduling lunch with friends, looking for common interests. Meet authors you respect. Have coffee with your agent. Go to book signings. Look for ways to get that face time, and then do it!

(but don't forget about all your Internet friends in the doing!)

****

On a side note, we're featuring agent Jenn Laughran over on the Texas Sweethearts blog today, so head over and show Jenn some love if you get a chance.


And I hope you're all having a great week! I'm off to TLA tomorrow and Friday!

25 comments:

Tess said...

have fun at TLA -- and congrats on the score to go to Florida. Fun in the sun :D

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Tess! I'm really looking forward to both events!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Jealous! Enjoy your trips. :-)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Shannon! I love writing events!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

A conference at Disneyworld! However will you get any work done? Congratulations on all the good stuff going on.

TerryLynnJohnson said...

Wow! I've never been to Disney Land. Way to go. Ever since I saw your travel vlog I imagine you touring and writing all over the country. Florida sounds like another great place to tour!
I'm heading over to Texas Sweethearts now. thanks.

PJ Hoover said...

Very good point, Tricia. I'll have to block out all the fun Disney things while presenting :)

Thanks, Terry! Florida is a perfect place for any occasion. You should definitely make it to Disney sometime.

lotusgirl said...

Oooo! Tower of Terror. I love that ride. Remember my picture from last year's Where in the world is LotusGirl?

PJ Hoover said...

I do remember, and I loved it, Lois! Isn't Disney great :)

Kayeleen Hamblin said...

It's nice to get out and actually meet people. I don't remember who said it, but the idea of what they said was that we run out of ideas if we don't go out and actually live.

PJ Hoover said...

It's so true, Kayeleen, and it makes us feel really great inside to connect in that way. I love the quote!

Elana Johnson said...

You're so right. It is so easy to be more introverted online.

Glad you'll be going to Disneyworld, er, that conference. :)

C.R. Evers said...

wow! congratulations! That's awesome. Enjoy!

Tabitha said...

That's awesome!!! I haven't been to Disneyworld since I was ten. Um, kind of a lot has happened since then. I think I need to take my kids there. :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

Have fun at TLA. I've always wanted to see the bats. We almost did the last time we were in Austin 2 years ago.

You're right, face to face contact is important. That's what's so great about SCBWI conferences.

Miriam S. Forster said...

I agree with you about face time. That's really the only downside to living in Moscow, not a big writing community. *sigh*

PJ Hoover said...

Online sometimes becomes a crutch, I think, Elana. I'm so lucky to live near so many author events.
And yay for Disneyworld...I mean the conference :)

Thanks, Christy!

PJ Hoover said...

OMG, you really need to take your kids there, Tabitha! I plan to go every other year and this year I get an extra turn :)

Can you believe it's only my second bat experience, Natalie, in 16 years. Which is a shame. I'll have to view them a couple more times.

Just another reason to move, Miriam! Though being able to say you live in Moscow is worth a lot :)

Kelly H-Y said...

CONGRATS! What an AWESOME place to be doing a panel!!!

Vonna said...

Disneyworld! What a happy place for a conference. It's great that you got to meet Robin. I met her briefly during her Nathaniel Fludd launch. You are so right about the face to face. I'm really excited that the Houston writing community is starting a new MG/YA writers group. I love opportunities to meet with other writers, though I'm usually tongue-tied the first few (okay, several) times I meet someone.

PJ Hoover said...

I'm beyond excited, Kelly! I LOVE Disney!

I've been in that tongue tied spot, Vonna, but it does keep getting easier. You guys have a pretty rocking Houston community, too!

Angela said...

Oh how I would love to go!

And I agree--there is nothing as satisfyng as meeting someone in person that you know online.

PJ Hoover said...

It's like you already know them, isn't it, Angela.
So when are we going to meet?

Lisa and Laura said...

Couldn't agree more--there are just some things you have to do in person!

I was in Austin last weekend for a girls' weekend and it was amazing. We didn't see the bats, but we did eat at amazing restaurants and hung out at fabulous bars. I hope to get back at some point--what a city!

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Lisa and Laura, how fun you were here (or at least one of you). It's it funny to think of people vacationing where you live :)