"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, April 08, 2010

Five on a Friday

Happy Friday! I've cranked out some serious words this week. I'm telling you...it's the egg timer.

Okay, enough on that. Here are my five for the week:

1) You have to indulge me just a tad. I almost never post artwork done by my kids. But in this case, it has to be done...

Here is your reminder that you don't have to listen when you are told to color in the lines. Make that alligator however the heck you want. And come to think of it, why stick with an alligator? Make the second thing that comes to mind. Or the third.

(No, I have no idea what the red thing is. I think it's a spike.)

Note:
This lesson can be applied to your writing, too, if you didn't pick up on that.


2) And when it's time to sign your name in a book, really put some personality into your signature. From now on, My PJ Hoover signature will have eyeballs and resemble monsters.

(I'm hoping she'll make me an entire alphabet.)


3) Okay, that's it for art.
I'm headed to BookPeople Friday night to see John Greene and David Levithan for the release of their book WILL GRAYSON, WILL GRAYSON. Anyone else going? I'll see you there!


4) I'm reading THIS WORLD WE LIVE IN by Susan Beth Pfeffer and just adoring it. It's book three in her LAST SURVIVORS series, and if you haven't read the first two and you enjoy apocalypse stories, then I can't recommend them enough. Her world is created so well, it has me hanging on every word and every page. And her characters draw so much empathy, I know I'm going to start buying the canned food again once I finish. Love!

5) We're camping at NASA this weekend!
(Did I mention Cub Scouts can get you in anywhere?)

Have a great weekend!

31 comments:

Christina Farley said...

I just checked out the Life as We Knew It so I'm excited to finally start up this series.

Kelly said...

Love the kid pics! Creative family!
Wow! The boys must be so psyched to stay at NASA!!

PJ Hoover said...

It's a great series, Christina! I hope you enjoy it!

NASA is going to rock, Kelly! Thanks!

Lynn Colt said...

One of these days I need to try the egg timer trick.

Love the pics - I will draw spikes and eyelashes on my signature starting now :-)

Kayeleen Hamblin said...

Cub Scouts can get you in any where! I'll have at least two cub scouts in my house, so I'm sure I'll be taking them places.

Thanks for the recommendation on the books. I hadn't heard of them before. It sounds really interesting.

Happy Friday!

beckylevine.com said...

Oh, that alligator picture takes me back! Seriously creative. :)

Have fun at NASA.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Lynn! You will love the egg timer!

Cub Scouts are perfect, Kayeleen! I love the Life As We Knew It books. They're written incredibly well!

PJ Hoover said...

I loved the alligator picture, Becky! I just had to post it!

Vonna said...

Okay, gotta get an egg timer! Loved your kids pics. I gave up painting after having a child and being confronted with the power of his art-- all that raw emotion just right out there for the world to see. Pow! (Plus, he wanted to put his raw emotions on MY paintings!)
Have a blast as NASA.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

NASA! Too cool. I loved the art, the signing and that egg timer. Happy weekend!

PJ Hoover said...

How cool you used to paint, Vonna. I'd love to see that!

Thanks, Tricia! NASA ought to be a blast (no pun intended).

Amy Allgeyer Cook said...

Oh c'mon. You meant that pun and you know it! ;)

Have a great weekend and congratulations on this week's writing progress! I know that feels great.

laurapauling said...

I love the comparison of coloring in the lines to bending the rules and being creative. Great post.

PJ Hoover said...

Okay, I unintentionally meant it, Amy :) And thanks! have a great weekend, too!

Thanks, Laura. It really does show that rules can and should be broken when it comes to creativity.

lotusgirl said...

Fun stuff today. Have a great time at NASA.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Lois! It ought to be a great weekend.

Patty P said...

Love the alligator (I think the red thing is blood and guts!) and thanks for the heads up on the book rec. I had no idea it was out! Can't wait to read it.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Great pictures. I have some up in my office and they always cheer me up. Have a great weekend.

Heather Zundel said...

I'm really wanting to steal this egg time of yours. It sounds magical.

And seriously? NASA? That ROCKS. Volunteer Den mother, here I come! ;)

PJ Hoover said...

Blood and guts. I love it, Patty! I hope your writing is going great. Miss you!

They do make the office a shinier place, don't they, Natalie? Thanks!

It is just like magic, Heather. The words just come out.
Yes, NASA! So fun!

Lisa and Laura said...

I LOVE that art work. SO cute. Painting outside the lines, indeed.

Have a great weekend! Can't wait to hear what you think of Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

Miriam S. Forster said...

Nice letters! Maybe when I start signing books, I'll do it in Sanskrit or something. :)

Have a great weekend!

Marcia said...

LOVED Life as We Knew it and the sequel, which title now escapes me. I'm putting This World on reserve right now!

~Nicole Ducleroir~ said...

I popped over from Christina's Chocolate For Inspiration blog. Congrats on winning one of her contest prizes!

LOVED your kids' artwork! And thanks for the book recommendations.

Looking forward to reading more from you :)

Tess said...

those pics crack me up. And, I am TOTALLY working on a creative slant to my signature. I hadn't considered adding eyeballs, but I won't entirely rule it out ;)

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Lisa and Laura, Thanks! They sold out of Will Grayson, so I don't think much of it yet :) But they were fab to watch!

Sanskrit would be sweet, Miriam! I'll make sure to get my copy personalized!

Marcia, you won't be disappointed with THIS WORLD WE LIVE IN. Much like LIFE AS WE KNEW IT.

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Nicole, Thank you for visiting! Welcome! (I was so excited to win.) I hope you like the books!

Tess, I have a feeling eyeballs will make any signature better. I am certainly going to give it a shot!

TerryLynnJohnson said...

thanks for the new series to check out! I do love apocalpse tales. Wow! really colorful art!
I don't know how you do the egg timer. I'd feel so pressured! Glad it works for you!

PJ Hoover said...

LOL! The timer is no pressure at all, Terry! You should give it a try :)

Kelly H-Y said...

LOVE the pictures ... great reminders too! :-)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Kelly!