"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, May 31, 2010

BEA Roundup

Happy Memorial Day! I hope everyone had a great weekend. I did some relaxing after the big trip to NYC for BEA, but I also managed to get in some revising, some kid time, and some doing-stuff-around-the-house things.

Note: Please come back tomorrow as I'll be giving away some OSUM ARCs!

Okay, how was BEA? It was a blast! The flights were on time, traveling with Jessica Lee Anderson was perfect. We stayed in Manhattan with my cousin, had delicious burgers and pizza, talked, walked, went on the roof of my cousin's building where the view is to-die-for. I talked with my agent, Laura Rennert, ran into famous authors and editors, and even enjoyed Kidlit Drink Night.
Yes, I know that's a lot. Yes, it was a whirlwind trip. So I'll try to summarize it with pictures.


Jessica Lee Anderson and Me at the airport


Me and Editor Madeline Smoot


Jessica Lee Anderson at the Milkweed Editions booth with her book


Authors Kekla Magoon and Jessica Lee Anderson


From my signing (I had a line!!!!! And people waiting for me!)


More from my signing, with Rebecca Leach (Scholastic) and Editor Madeline Smoot


My crowd (which was so nice!)


Authors Denise Jaden, Shana Silver, and Jessica Lee Anderson


Authors Irene Latham, Laura Bowers, Me, and Kekla Magoon


Jessica Lee Anderson, Vordak (Egmont Booth), and Me


Me and author Donna St. Cyr


Jessica Lee Anderson at her signing


Authors Donna St. Cyr and Jessica Lee Anderson

And we also managed to capture some video footage including not just us, but some of the cool people we saw.



So the verdict?
Go to BEA if you get a chance! It was fun and productive and NYC and totally cool all at the same time.

27 comments:

Kim Baccellia said...

I'm so jealous! It looks like you had such a blast! Watching your video makes me excited to go to the midwinter 2011 ALA conference in San Diego. And one day hopefully I can have a signing too!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Love the pics and video. Yay, for the Texas Sweethearts.

PJ Hoover said...

Kim, you will totally have a signing there! And ALA midwinter will be a blast! I wish I was going. Hey, maybe I will :)

Thanks, Tricia! It's fun to have a buddy to walk the floor with!

Lauren said...

Looks like a super busy and super exciting time at BEA! Happy Memorial Day!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Lauren! It was so much fun. And NYC is just so NYC!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures and the video. I'd have loved to go. It would be so much fun to go to the Kidlit night too. I've heard lots of good things about it.

laurabowers said...

It was so wonderful to meet you in person and get a book signed!!! (I'm bummed I didn't get Jessica's, but it wasn't on the schedule I had printed at home. Bugger.) Hopefully, I'll see you both there next year! :)

Kelly said...

I love living vicariously through you! Great pics and video! THanks for sharing your fun event with us!

PJ Hoover said...

Kidlit drink night was fun, Natalie! I met a ton of people there.

Yes, next year, Laura! Wait, ALA, right? Let's sync up beforehand!

You're welcome, Kelly! I'll take more pics and video next time.

Christine Marciniak said...

Thanks for the round-up! It looks like you had a great time!

Solvang Sherrie said...

Looks like such a blast! I keep hearing that people came back with like 30 pounds of books. One of these days I'll have to get there!

PJ Hoover said...

Wish you were there, Chris! Next time...

You will totally have to get there, Sherrie! You'd have a blast!

Crystal said...

Thanks SO MUCH for sharing your wonderful pictures, P.J.! I am determined to be there next year . . . looks like you guys had a BLAST! :)

PJ Hoover said...

You're welcome, Crystal! We had a great time, but next time I will take more pics!

Marcia said...

Thanks for the pix and video. :)

donnasaintcyr said...

PJ,

Great recap - glad you guys made it home okay - we had the 18 hour epic journey home - complete with weather, airport diversions, visits from the local sheriff and barely beating President Obama to New Orleans before the airport was closed for his security - I think I'll do it again soon!

I had a great time visiting with you and Jessica!

Donna

Terry Doherty said...

Oh, man! I can't believe I missed y'all. What a whirlwind ... and you captured it all!

Bethany said...

Totally am impressed with your techno skills...and so fab to see my cohort Kekla in your video.

The Blooming Tree Press booth looked fab and glad your and Jessica's signing was such as success.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks for looking, Marcia!

Yikes on the trip home, Donna! But so great to see you!

I saw Reading Tub cards at one of the booths, Terry! Will you be at ALA?

Thanks, Bethany! Kekla was a doll and so much fun to hang out with!

Vivian Mahoney said...

Looks like you had the BEST time! Thanks for sharing!

PJ Hoover said...

You're welcome, Vivian! It was so much fun!

TerryLynnJohnson said...

Of course you had a line up at your signing!
Thanks for this awesome recap. My fellow Elevensies have been plotting to go next year, and I've thought it too BIG. But I'm starting to think about it...
sounds like you had a great time!

PJ Hoover said...

Aw, thanks, Terry! And you should totally think about going. It was so much fun!

Paige said...

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing them. Looks like you had lots of fun!

PJ Hoover said...

It was a blast! Next year you should go, Paige!

Lenore said...

Was fun to finally meet you!

PJ Hoover said...

So great to finally meet you, too, Lenore! I wish I'd gotten more pictures. Next year :)