"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Five on a Friday

Happy Friday, everyone!
I hope you're all looking forward to a great weekend. Mine includes a sparring tournament (for the kids, not me), a crawfish boil (yummy), and some great revising, critiquing, and reading.

And before I forget, if you ever wonder why I love dystopic stories, you can head over to The Spectacle to find out (hint: think way back to the 70s). We've been posting all week on the topic.

Also this week on The Texas Sweethearts blog we featured awesome librarian Christina Hicks! She'd love for you to stop by and show her some love!

Here are my five for the week:

1) So I know. I promised not to overdo the kids' artwork. But when my daughter crafted this in the morning, I grabbed it and scanned it in immediately. I especially like her phonetic spelling of "awesome" (which, of course, it totally is).


2) Did I mention I'm heading to BEA next week? So I'm over the moon excited about this! I'm heading up there with fellow Texas Sweetheart Jessica Lee Anderson (we're even sitting across from each other on the plane). I've got my schedule partially mapped out, and can't wait. And I'm lucky enough to have a cousin who lives in Manhattan and is letting me stay with her!

3) Thank you to reader Theron for sending me this way cool picture of a Nogical he created. I was lucky enough to speak to Theron's class a few weeks ago and loved all the great questions and love of reading they had.

4) And speaking of Jessica Lee Anderson, I was able to go listen to her give the keynote speech at the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) annual luncheon today. The event was first class, the food was delicious, and Jessica was spot-on perfect. We met Cynthia Leitich Smith briefly afterward for a quick chat which is always a treat.

5) Okay, finally, here's a photo of what we were greeted with at our front door the other day. So sweet!


Have a great weekend!

24 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Have fun at BEA. That picture in front of your house is so cool. You have nice deer in Austin. The first summer after I met my husband he took me on vacation in Austin (Texas is his home state) & we went camping of all things in the heat. The deer were eating out of my hand. I was dying from heat.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Natalie! The deer are so tame here. They jump our fence all the time and wander around the backyard.
Come back to Austin sometime :)

Kelly said...

Your son's pic is aSOM!!
Love the deer picture too. How incredibly sweet.
You go to so many amazing events! Have fun at BEA!

Kelly said...

I mean your daughter's pic!!! Doh!

Anna said...

Wow, that deer is just adorable! Sounds like life has been full of excitement. I don't know when you find the time to sleep!

PJ Hoover said...

Love your spelling of aSOM, Kelly! Thanks!

LOL, Anna. Sleep is something I never miss, though I admit to taking a nap from time to time on the sofa.

laurapauling said...

I can't believe the deer was at your door! Amazing. Have a great trip! Get lots of arcs.

Elana Johnson said...

Have fun at BEA! Maybe I'll be able to meet you next year there. And what great art and a deer! Oh my gosh -- so cute!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Laura! I'm going to make a list!

I hope you're there next year, Elana. That would be fantastic!

Shannon Whitney Messenger said...

You're going to BEA? OMG, SO jealous. Have fun and please post pictures and/or details!

And I LOVE that drawing. Feel free to post more any time. They're fabulous.

Have a good weekend!

Solvang Sherrie said...

Love the osum drawing! And the deer at the front door -- beautiful :)

PJ Hoover said...

I can't wait, Shannon! I'll totally take pictures and share!

Thanks, Sherrie! Hope the new job is going great!

Lydia Kang said...

OMG, that little fawn is unreal. Wow! And the kid drawings are OSUM.

T. Anne said...

The BEA? I'm jealous! I went two years ago and had a BLAST!!!! Will you tweet or blog about this? I want to live vicariously from you!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Lydia, and thanks for visiting!

The BEA, Anne. Yay! I'm thinking vlogs will be in order.

Vonna said...

The pics are adorable and Oh! I love the fawn! One more reason to love Austin--you won't see that in Houston!

PJ Hoover said...

Move to Austin, Vonna! Or at least come back next winter for the conference again! I'd love to make it to the Houston conference next time, too.

Sara McClung ♥ said...

omg the DEER <3 <3 <3 <3

*melting*

PJ Hoover said...

Isn't it the sweetest thing ever, Sara ♥ ? Love it!
(did you like that little heart I inserted?)

beth said...

I repeat what Sara said--that was such a sweet picture! Where was the momma?

PJ Hoover said...

Hopefully around, Beth!

Kelly H-Y said...

No way ... that sweet little fawn was at your door (LOVE the brilliant blue, by the way!). I love your daughter's artwork ... please always feel free to include it in your posts! :-) And, how sweet to get a drawing from one of your fans ... that's got to be one of the best feelings in the world!
Have a great trip to BEA.

Christina Farley said...

That deer is so amazing! Wow.

paigebritt said...

A dear at your door?!! That's ASOM! I also love the sight of your dog peering out the window. Pretty cute.