"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, June 04, 2010

Five (Books) on a Friday

In light of awesome ARCs and great upcoming books, here are five I want to mention:

1) Currently reading DELIRIUM by Lauren Oliver. I may be the only person on the planet who has yet to read BEFORE I FALL (it's on my TBR shelf at home), so I have nothing to compare this book to, but DELIRIUM has me hooked and wanting to stay up late into the night to read. I finally put it down at 1:00 last night only because I knew I wanted to write today and I'd be too tired if I stayed up to finish it. The writing is beautiful and the plot is gripping!
(and I may be giving away my ARC when I'm done, so hang around.)
(and thank you to Traveling ARC Tours who I took the picture from.)


2) Loved THE MARBURY LENS by Andrew Smith. Again, I've read nothing else written by him so far, but THE MARBURY LENS is by far the best book I've read this year. It's dark and intricate and so compelling. Of course there's also the fact that we have the same agent (Does anyone else notice they like other books their agent has agented also as a general pattern?)
(the only way I've giving away this ARC is if I pick up another at ALA. I'll try.)



3) I'm so looking forward to BRAINS FOR LUNCH by K. A. Holt. Okay, so Kari is a personal friend, but she's also a super talented writer (anyone else read MIKE STELLAR: NERVES OF STEEL? It rocked!) Anyway, BRAINS FOR LUNCH is a zombie haiku book with an ARC sitting on my shelf tempting me!




4) Another Austin writer with a new book coming out this fall is Brian Yansky. I haven't read any of Brian's other books, but ALIEN INVASION AND OTHER INCONVENIENCES totally sounds like it's up my alley. After all, one of my near term goals is to visit Roswell though Aurora, TX may have to do in the short term.



5) As a final ARC I have I'm looking forward to, I'll go with KING OF ITHAKA by Tracy Barrett. It's the story of the Odyssey as seen through the eyes of his son Telemachus. As seeing as how I love all things mythology, I'm hooked. (and this one also, it turns out if from my agent. I think she has good taste.)
(I can't find a cover image, and I think the ARC cover is not final.)

Hope you guys have a great weekend!

22 comments:

Amy Allgeyer Cook said...

I've read NONE of those! Yay! More books for my list.

Michelle Davidson Argyle said...

Squee about giving away your ARC! Those books look great, and you're not the only person who hasn't read Before I Fall, so no worries. :)

Sandy Shin said...

I have not yet read BEFORE I FALL (I do plan to soon), but DELIRIUM definitely caught my interests. Love the summary.

Anna said...

I'm so jealous you're reading DELIRIUM! I absolutely loved BEFORE I FALL, so I'm glad to hear her next book is just as gripping.

Becky Levine said...

Thanks for adding to my reading list! :)

PJ Hoover said...

The books never seem to stop, do they, Amy?

They are great, Michelle! And we should both read BEFORE I FALL so we can talk about it.

DELIRIUM is fantastic, Sandy. I can't wait to get to the end.

It was a great ARC to get, Anna. I was psyched!

PJ Hoover said...

You're welcome, Becky!

Jen said...

Wow how cool would that be!!! I would love to win so maybe i'll be lucky enough to put my name in the drawing when you are finished!

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

I am SOOOO jealous you're reading Delirium right now! I want to read it soooo bad, you have to read Before I Fall--you'll love it!

Shannon Whitney Messenger said...

Ooo--SO jealous. But these sound great. Can't wait to read them when they finally come out. :)

Marcia said...

The cover of Brains for Lunch looks hilarious!

PJ Hoover said...

If you believe you're going to be lucky, Jen, then you will!

It's awesome, Frankie. I'm really loving it.

I've got some fantastic ARCs this year, Shannon. I can't wait to share them!

And Kari is hilarious, Marcia. I'm sure the book will be fabulous!

K said...

Thanks for the Brains for Lunch mention! I can't wait to hear what you think of it.

How about a road trip to Aurora this summer? I'm so in. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Heck yes I'm in, Kari. My kids would love to go on a roadtrip to see an alien grave, especially with a famous author!
Let's set a date!

Natalie Aguirre said...

I haven't read Before I Fall either yet. I want to. Thanks for sharing about more great books.

brian yansky said...

Thanks for the ALIEN INVASION & OTHER INCONVENIENCES mention, PJ.

Keri Mikulski said...

Enjoy! I so want to read DELIRIUM and BEFORE I FALL.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

cant wait to read this!

Vonna said...

I'm another who hasn't yet read Before I Fall...but I will! Alien Invasions and Other Inconveniences sounds cool, too.

T. Anne said...

The Marbury Lens sounds like my kind of read. I'll keep an eye out for it, or at least request a copy for my library.

PJ Hoover said...

Glad I'm not the only one, Natalie!

You're welcome, Brian! Thank you and Frances for being such awesome hosts!

You should, Keri!

Did you get it, Shelli?

You could come to Brian's release party when he has it, Vonna! 3 hours isn't all that far :)

PJ Hoover said...

Definitely do, T. Anne. It was amazing!