"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

On to the First Day of ALA

At first I thought the fact that the exhibits didn't open until later in the day was a problem. But then I realized that gave me and Jessica Lee Anderson a day to hang around DC without the kids doing things the kids may not find too exciting.

We started the day with a walk at Fort Hunt Park (a don't miss in my opinion). And yes, I did bring the kids along for this one. They'd never forgive me otherwise.

An old dungeon?

But then Jessica and I headed over to the city where we managed to cram in...

The Library of Congress

Outside the Library, me and Jessica


OMG!


Love the Kidlit Poster in the Underground tunnel to the Capitol



The Capitol

Me and Jessica Lee Anderson doing the self photo


The Botanical Gardens

Love!

Me in the Gardens


The Smithsonian Gallery of Art

"I'm thinking. I'm thinking."


Then it was on to the exhibits. They were only open for a couple hours and it wasn't crowded a bit. Plenty of other authors and editors to talk to, all very excited about books (imagine that). I only fangirled it once Friday night when I talked with Libba Bray who is such a darling.

Getting ready to head in. The crowd kept growing.


My high school friend Curry Rose Hoskey who I haven't seen in 23 years (and her darling baby boy). Curry is now a fab librarian and a great supporter of kid lit!


After the exhibits we headed to the Kidlit Drink night organized by Sara Lewis Holmes and Amy Brecount White. I love that the drink nights are so welcoming and fun!

A. R. Rotruck, Jessica Lee Anderson, Me, and Sara Lewis Holmes


Me and Fellow Austinite and Caldecott Honor Winner Liz Garton Scanlon (yay for Austin!)


Sara Lewis Holmes and Amy Brecount White


Then it was home on the Metro and ready for an early start the next day!

14 comments:

Caroline Starr Rose said...

PJ, this all seems so fun! I lived off of Route 1 for years and didn't know Fort Hood areas you could tour.

Are you going to NOLA next summer for ALA? I'd love to be there.

storyqueen said...

This looks like so much fun!! Love the capitol self pic!

Can't wait to see more.

Shelley

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

You lucky thing! And you sure crammed in a day-full of sights. The dungeon and the library made me sigh with desire to be there.

PJ Hoover said...

It was a blast, Caroline! I make Fort Hunt a regular stop. The kids love it. And yes, I'm planning on NOLA. I'd love to meet you there!

The Capital is so pretty, Shelley! I'll post more tomorrow.

You'd love Fort Hunt, Tricia. Someday you'll have to visit!

Christina Farley said...

Oh wow. What a wonderful time you all had. I really like how you post all the pictures. It makes your blog come alive. Thanks for sharing!

bookaholic said...

I love the pics!

Keri Mikulski said...

Wow! What a great time! :) Thanks for sharing. :)

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! How cool that you met up with an old school friend!

Natalie Aguirre said...

It sounds like so much fun. You look so great in the pictures and always so happy.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Christina! And I hope you have a wonderful trip back to the US.

Thanks, Bookaholic!

It was a blast, Keri! See you there next year :)

And it was so wonderful to meet you, Carolina!

Aw, thanks, Natalie! You always make my day!

Nora MacFarlane said...

That looks like it was so much fun! Love the pics!

laurapauling said...

Glad you got in some sight! Thanks for sharing the pix!

ali said...

Awesome! You did a lot in one day, wowza! Enjoy your stay!

PJ Hoover said...

You're welcome, Nora! It was a blast.

I loved seeing so many great things, Laura!

Thanks, Ali. It was a super busy but fun day!