"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Showing off DC

Since I grew up outside DC, I have a great place to stay when I come to the area. And ALA being in DC this year was a perfect opportunity. Fellow Texas Sweetheart Jessica Lee Anderson flew up and stayed with us, and since ALA didn't start until Friday, we had some time to tool around the city and check things out. Thankfully, Jessica's the kind that didn't mind me dragging my kids along for the sights.
As writers, we obsess about everything we can relate to writing. Everything can be correlated; it's like that one degree of separation thing. Are you guys that way, too? Anyway...

At the Natural History Museum I took a picture of what my husband considers me to be when I nag.

The Egyptians considered writing the best possible profession.


And here's a picture my son took in front of one of our favorite exhibits in the museum: the giant ground sloth (who is related to the armadillo crazily enough).

My favorite bench in the museum. I want one like this for my house! But until then, I take a picture of it every time I go.

Taking time to dip our feet in the fountain. On Friday evenings, they have a live Jazz band.

Poor Pluto. He's been removed. And forget about Charon his moon.


After the museums, I showed Jessica the pure pleasure in playing a game of croquet. There's nothing like whacking a ball around the yard to relieve the frustrations of life. Sadly I didn't get a picture of Jessica playing croquet, but I'm sure to play more and will report.

Okay, next day coming soon. In the meantime, I've been away from my computer for a while and am so behind on blogs. Must catch up! ALA is over and it's back to the real world.

8 comments:

BookChic said...

Hey, it was good to see you and Jessica again! :) Can't wait to see your recaps. I still have to finish my BEA recap (1 post left), then can move on to ALA, haha. I want that pic of you and me that Jessica took so I can post it on my blog too.

And I wish I'd gotten a picture with Jessica, but hopefully we'll cross paths again.

TerryLynnJohnson said...

great photos as usual! I'm looking foward to hearing about ALA

Kelly said...

I love your photo recaps!
That sloth is huge, we saw a similar one at The Field Museum in Chicago!

Angela Ackerman said...

How cool you guys got to do some touristy stuff together. Thanks for sharing the pics and the recap! (LOL on the shrew!)

Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

PJ Hoover said...

James, it was so great to see you, too! I'll check if Jessica has more pictures and let you know! Until next time!

Thanks, Terry! So next year I'm sure we'll see each other somewhere!

I love the Field Museum, Kelly! It's my second favorite natural history museum :)

I thought my husband would appreciate the shrew, Angela. I try not to nag, but sometimes I can't help myself.

Miriam S. Forster said...

Like the pictures! Also, I'd like to request a giant ground sloth in your next book. Pretty please. :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

Great pictures. My husband would call me a shrew too when I nag, which is probably too often. Maybe if he cleaned up more. . . Have fun during the rest of your trip.

PJ Hoover said...

Great idea, Miriam! I think we should all add a giant ground sloth to our next work!

I hear you, Natalie! I'm glad I'm not the only one.