"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, July 30, 2010

Five on a Friday

Who can believe summer is halfway over? Seriously. Where has the time gone? We're supposed to hit 100 today here in Austin which you may not think is unusual, and normally it isn't. But we've had a mild summer thus far deep in the heart of Texas.


Here are five things for the week:

1) My mother-in-law and her sister are visiting this week, and the sister has an iPhone. Yes, now I really do want one (or a similar phone). I'm beyond impressed. I think it was the Star Walking app that really pushed me over.

2) My tortoises are getting huge. So big I am now thinking we're at the point where they need to grow into a little more space (like the backyard). Must research heated enclosures for tortoises.

3) I'm listening on audio to THE HELP by Kathryn Stockett, and can I just say I am beyond impressed. Talk about voice. This book should be used as a teaching tool. It's amazing.

4) Also finally reading BEFORE I FALL by Lauren Oliver. I've heard so many, many good things about this book, and ten pages in, I'm not disappointed (I was very tired last night while reading).

5) I forgot to mention we're giving away a whole shlew of books over on The Spectacle including and ARC of MATCHED by Ally Condie. For your chance to win, check out this post! And wait...there are only two more days to enter!


I'm looking at two weeks of camp in the future which equates to two weeks of writing time for me! The kids love it. I love it. All around, it's a win-win situation. In the meantime, I'm off to admire my bookshelves just a bit more.

19 comments:

Christine Marciniak said...

Sounds like you are keeping busy and having fun! Today we are going to have more mild temperatures. It's been brutal out here this summer!

Robyn Campbell said...

I love those win-win situations. They please me. =)

I can't believe summer is almost over, either. I loves me some summer.

Following the link now. Have a wonderful weekend. :)

Adventures in Children's Publishing said...

PJ, isn't THE HELP wonderful? The voices for each character are so distinct and strong, you feel like you know them. I adored that book and was very sad when it was over. I read half of BEFORE I FALL before my public library made me turn it back in :( I'm waiting patiently on the hold list to get it back to finish it soon. I'm finishing SHADOW HILLS today and it's one I would recommend, too! Thanks for the link to the contest. Clicking away!

Have a good weekend!
Marissa

Becky Levine said...

Both books are added to my list--thanks! The tortoises sound so cool--don't we need a pic or two? :)

PJ Hoover said...

Busy is definitely the right word, Chris! And that's right, the east coast has been hit pretty hard!

They please me, too, Robyn! Especially when I'm one of the winners :)

The voice is amazing, Marissa. I find myself trying to sneak off and listen to it. And thanks for the Shadow Hills rec. She's an austin author, also, I think.

We do need a pic, Becky. If I put them out today for some exercise, I'll take an updated one!

storyqueen said...

Ooooh, two weeks of uninterrupted writing time.....yes, I am jealous!

Have fun!

Shelley

PJ Hoover said...

I can't wait, Shelley!

Rebecca said...

Only half way over? My kids go back to school in less than two weeks!

misha1989 said...

The Help has been lying on my bookshelf for quite sometime. I think I should read it now!
I just started my own blog. Please stop by if you can. Thank you

Misha
http://books-love-affair.blogspot.com/

ali said...

Excellent! Thanks for the recommends! ♥

Kelly H-Y said...

It HAS gone so fast! Ahhh ... two weeks of camp will be a fabulous win-win for all!

VICTORIA SAAVEDRA said...

Sounds like you're busy!

Before I fall is wonderful.

vivian said...

Sounds like a great week! And yes, do get an iPhone! ;-)
BEFORE I FALL is awesome. Hope you like it! And pictures of the tortoises, please! Enjoy your weekend and planning for the 2 weeks of writing time!

PJ Hoover said...

Wow, Rebecca! Two weeks! We have three and then it's school time.

You should read it, Misha! And I will stop by! Thanks :)

You're welcome, Ali! Hope you're having a great weekend.

PJ Hoover said...

It's flown by, Kelly! And I'm really looking forward to the camp!

It was wonderful, Victoria! I finished it last night and love it!

Thanks, Vivian! I'm going to make a plan and get the most out of the two weeks!

Keri Mikulski said...

I want an IPhone too! :) Enjoy your weekend! :) xoxo

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Keri! Hope you had a great weekend!

Miriam S. Forster said...

You know, the more I hear about The Help, the more higher up it creeps on my to-read pile. Maybe a library trip is due when I get home...

Also, I love your tortoises. If you move them outside, you should post pictures!

PJ Hoover said...

Took pics of the torts today, Miriam! I'll post them soon. And yes, read THE HELP!