"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, July 01, 2010

Onto the next day at ALA

Jessica Lee Anderson and I started off early on Saturday, getting to ALA close to the opening hour. Because pics speak so much better than words I try to type when my kids are awake, here we go.

One of the first people I ran into was James Booth, aka awesome book blogger Book Chic!


Jessica showing off author Bethany Hegedus' newest book, TRUTH WITH A CAPITAL T.
Yay, Bethany!


Why not pose by a cute, stuffed Library Lion?


Jessica, Harold Underdown, Liz Garton Scanlon, and Me


These are the kind of moments I love about conventions. You never know who you'll see.


Kekla Magoon, Toni Buzzeo, Me, and Jessica


Jessica had a rock star signing on Saturday!


Me, David Macinnis Gill, and Jessica.
David's newest book, BLACK HOLE SUN, comes out in a couple months and is FABULOUS!!!!



We headed to Chinatown for lunch because it's one of the things I'd never done in DC. Check.


Jaclyn Dolomore, author of MAGIC UNDER GLASS, and Jessica


Kate Messner signing ARCS of SUGAR AND ICE and Jessica


Later Saturday night, Jessica and I headed to Old Town, Alexandria where one of my high school buddies, Mike Evans, gave us a private ghost tour of the city! I hadn't seen Mike in over 20 years!

Me and Mike Evans, our ghost tour guide!


An old, haunted ice house in Old Town where they used to store bodies on ice


My favorite restaurant in Old Town!

Hope you all are having a great week!

13 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Great pictures. It's so great that Jessica and you can go to these things together. It must make it more fun. And for me, I'd be braver with a friend.

Save all your pictures. You can make an awesome scrapbook showing your literary career.

Shannon Whitney Messenger said...

Ooo, how have I missed these posts! Going back to read the rest of the week now!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

It looks like a fabulous time was had by all! I envy you. :-)

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Super fun day! So cool that you got to experience ALA and DC together. You are both truly Texas Sweethearts.

PJ Hoover said...

It is wonderful to have someone to hang with, Natalie! It's a blast. And a literary scrapbook is fun!

Thanks, Shannon! It's nice to be back to blogging.

Thanks, other Shannon :) I'm sad it's over already.

Thanks, Carol! It was so awesome to meet you! I keep meaning to post out picture together. Tomorrow!

Miriam S. Forster said...

Wow, a lion in glasses, Storm troopers, and a hobbit restaurant!

You had the coolest trip ever. :)

BookChic said...

Gah, I can't see the picture of you and me, lol. Of course that was one of the pictures that won't show up on my work computer. I knew I should've checked this before I left home. Ah well.

Great to see the pics that did show up for me! Sounds like you had a wonderful time whenever we weren't together, lol.

Angela Ackerman said...

I love it when you share your pics with us, PJ. Thanks!

Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

lotusgirl said...

That sounds like so much fun. I love DC. Hopefully next time I'm there I can meet Darth Vader.

carla said...

FUN!!!

PJ Hoover said...

Miriam, some day we should eat at the Bilbo Baggins restaurant together!

Hope you got the picture to come through, James. It's always so much fun to see you at events. Again next year?

Thanks, Angela! I love posting pics from the events. It's like reliving it!

Thanks, Carla!

Harmony said...

Awesome pictures! I looove Old Town, it's one of my favorite places. We went there Friday night and ate at some BBQ place and then went up to the waterfront. I wanted to go on a ghost tour but there wasn't time - next time, though!

PJ Hoover said...

Next time do the ghost tour for sure, Harmony. I plan to go again next year. It was so great meeting you!