"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Sunday, August 08, 2010

Brick Collecting Love and Osceola Mills

I realized I forgot to post about my successes in antique brick hunting from my trip to Pennsylvania. I'm pretty sure nobody's been dying for the post (except for perhaps my relatives), but here you go.

So Fourth of July weekend it was up to Osceola Mills, PA for some family fun, ATV riding, antique brick collecting, and treasure hunting.


We started off with success in the woods near the house, finding this patch of bricks.


And here they are stacked.


Then it was off to this gem of a place where there wasn't much in the way of bricks, but it just begged to be explored.


I was a bit worried the roof would fall on top of me, so I didn't venture inside but got this closer picture from the outside.


And we did find a perfect "OSCEOLA" brick off to the side.


The old outhouse looks like it will be better explored in the winter when no rattlesnakes will be hiding in the tall grass.


Here's what a side cut looks like of where it's been strip mined (taken in the "Little Rascals" quarry).


The old bus stop.


Me with our brand new metal detector. This thing worked way better than the previous model circa 1974. We found nails, old pipes, hooks, and pieces of rail used by mining cars (taken outside an old coal mine).


Another stash of bricks. These we left in place to keep the critters out of the garage.


My brick collecting assistant helping dig a brick out of the road.


Me riding the ATV.


Roasting marshmallows on the Fourth.


Did I mention how much fun this is to do?


I opted against posting a picture of what we found in the freezer. Any guesses?

Hope you guys have a great week!

7 comments:

Adventures in Children's Publishing said...

Looks like a ball, but have to ask.... What are you going to do with the antique bricks?

We are thinking of heading up the PA for my husband's birthday. I'm trying to think where to take him that would be different. You've given me food for thought! (Hope that was all there was in the freezer, too, btw. You can't make comments like that in places frequented by writers and not expect minds to start spinning :))

Martina

Natalie Aguirre said...

Sounds like it was tons of fun.

PJ Hoover said...

Martina, I'd love to get enough and make a hearth around my fireplace with them. They are all so unique and pretty. And let your mind spin. I'll dish later in the week on the freezer.

It was a blast, Natalie! I'm already looking forward to next year!

Donna said...

Sounds like you had a blast. How fun to hear your brick hunting excursions. I love exploring old farms and houses.

Welcome home!

Solvang Sherrie said...

Looks like fun, especially the ATV :) Not sure I want to know what was in the freezer...

Miriam S. Forster said...

Um... a head?

*shakes self*

Sorry, too much Criminal Minds lately. :) Looks like so much fun though! And I'm glad you found more bricks.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Donna! We're kindred spirits on the exploring thing.

The ATV was so much fun, Sherrie. I miss it and wish I had one here in Texas and somewhere to ride it :)

Miriam, you are close. So close.