"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Book Rec: KING OF ITHAKA by Tracy Barrett

In case there's any question about it, I love mythology. I love all things myth, and I adore retellings of these stories, especially if the retellings have a great twist. And guess what? KING OF ITHAKA by Tracy Barrett has all of this. The writing is engaging, the plot is filled with action, and the best part? The very best part?

What we hear in the myths may not always be true.

KING OF ITHAKA by Tracy Barrett (Henry Holt & Co., September 2010)



From Amazon:

Telemachos has a comfortable life on his small island of Ithaka, where his mother Penelopeia keeps the peace even though the land has been without its king, his father Odysseus, since the Trojan War began many years ago.

But now the people are demanding a new king, unless Telemachos can find Odysseus and bring him home. With only a mysterious prophecy to guide him, Telemachos sets off over sea and desert in search of the father he has never known.


Source of Book: From publisher at TLA


If you love mythology, this book is for you. Recommended for seventh grade and up, boys and girls, fans of fantasy or mythology.

6 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

This is awesome! I am so glad you reviewed this one, or I would have missed it! Thanks, PJ. :-)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks for reading, Shannon! It's a great book with a great premise!

C.R. Evers said...

ohhhh!!! I love mythology and retellings as well. This sounds fabulous. I need to check it out!

PJ Hoover said...

Definitely, Christy! It's a great one.

ali said...

Sweet! My son and I are totally IN!

PJ Hoover said...

You'll love it, Ali! Enjoy!