"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Writing from the Place: TEN WAYS TO GET READY FOR NaNoWriMo!

Okay, admit it. You've always wanted to do NaNoWriMo but you never knew how to start? I mean how do you prepare for a month long writing retreat and get ready to kick butt and crank out 50K words?
Well, we here at the place (being K. A. Holt, Jessica Lee Anderson , E. Kristin Anderson, Madeline Smoot, recent drop in Mari Mancusi, and sometimes member Jenny Ziegler) have the answers you need.

We give you ten ways to get ready for NaNoWriMo:

1) Hydrate
But we recommend you situate near the potty for this one. You have many long hours ahead of you.
and remember, this picture is proof, once again, that a Star Trek reference can fit in anywhere.


2) Narrow down your list of ideas
We figure the best chance for success starts with one book idea, not your top three.


3) Cheat and start early
Cause you know, you may even finish early. Who's to say? And it's not cheating to finish early, right?


4) Stock up on chocolate and caffeine
And I know Dagoba Chocolate is healthy and all, but it's hard to get past the lack of sugar, even with lavender and blueberries. Pick your brand and stock up.


5) Hire a nanny, maid, and chef (or dogsitter if appropriate)
Knowing you have clean toilets will free your mind and release your creativity.


6) Fire your internal editor
She is evil. She does not want you to complete NaNoWriMo.


7) Clean your office (although this was a point of debate in the group)
So pick one. Clean your office including the use of Windex to get even the phone makeup free or go the exact opposite way and let the dishes stack up. Whatever you choose, don't change your mind in the middle and try to do anything about it.


8) Find a support group
We recommend meeting weekly at a place like The Place.


9) Remember: Sleep is for weenies
And this t-shirt proves it.



10) Have fun. Remember your life will not end if you don't write 50,000 words in one month. You are not a failure.
Thousands of people have proved this to date. So enjoy yourself and get writing!

14 comments:

Lois of HisFireKids.com said...

You are sooo funny....lookin forward to it!! haha Thanks so much...Maybe I should say blah blah blah sometimes=)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I think I'll have to hire a hitman to take care of my internal editor this year! LOL!

Christina Farley said...

I love this list! So cute!

Christine Marciniak said...

Great post! I'm about to start writing any minute now!

Pam Harris said...

Lol, love #3 :)

PJ Hoover said...

LOL, Lois! I had help with the list. And it's a fun way to prepare :)

A hitman is perfect for your internal editor, Enbrethiliel. Then send him my way.

Thanks, Christina! Hope it helps!

Me, too, Chris. In 5...4...3...2...1
Now!

PJ Hoover said...

LOL, me, too, Pam! Hope you did it :)

Kelly H-Y said...

Ha! Loved this list!

E. Kristin Anderson said...

Muahahahahaha. I wrote "stay hydrated" on my To Do List today. Mostly because I would ACTUALLY FORGET during NaNo. Half the time when I'm writing I forget to eat.

PS I love us.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Kelly!

Hope you drank tons of water today, Emily!

Laura Pauling said...

I would def. have to cheat and start early. I don't do Nano - but stick to my regular writing schedule. It's my nano in 3 months.

PJ Hoover said...

Laura, it sounds like you already have the most important thing (being a regular writing schedule)!

Miriam S. Forster said...

1. Check
2. Check
3. Not unless organizing counts as starting early. :)
4. HECK YES. Also, dried cranberries.
5. No need, husband has volunteered to clean the toilet this month.
6. Check
7. Yeah, I gotta say I'm on the dishes-stacking-up side. Though I did try to get things caught up before November started...
8. Check
9. Agreed!
10. Hooray for fun!

PJ Hoover said...

You have it totally going on, Miriam! I'll see you at the finish line!