"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

THE HOUSE OF DEAD MAIDS by Clare Dunkle




If you're looking for the perfect creepy read this holiday season, here's a book totally worth checking out. The cover is uber-freaky, and the text delivers every single bit of that freakiness perfectly.

THE HOUSE OF DEAD MAIDS by Clare Dunkle (Henry Holt, September 2010)


I'd recommend this one for sixth grade and up, boys and girls, fans of fantasy, paranormal, mysteries, ghost stories, and fans of the Bronte sisters' works. Sadly, I borrowed this ARC from a friend, so I can't pass it on in a giveaway, but it's totally worth the read.


"DEAD MAIDS is dark and beautiful, literary and lovely ... Worthy of sitting on a shelf next to Wuthering Heights." —Melissa Marr, author of Wicked Lovely


Check out the super-creepy book trailer, too!



From Amazon:

Young Tabby Aykroyd has been brought to the dusty mansion of Seldom House to be nursemaid to a foundling boy. He is a savage little creature, but the Yorkshire moors harbor far worse, as Tabby soon discovers. Why do scores of dead maids and masters haunt Seldom House with a jealous devotion that extends beyond the grave?

As Tabby struggles to escape the evil forces rising out of the land, she watches her young charge choose a different path. Long before he reaches the old farmhouse of Wuthering Heights, the boy who will become Heathcliff has doomed himself and any who try to befriend him.

11 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Ooooo, this sounds like a winner!! :-)

Karen Akins said...

M'kay. That covers giving me nightmares tonight.

Angela Ackerman said...

Yes, this is SO up my ally!

Angela @ the Bookshelf Muse

PJ Hoover said...

A definite winner, Shannon!

My kids couldn't stand to look at the cover, Karen. It totally creeped them out.

I bet you would love it, Angela!

MG Higgins said...

What a creepy, creepy cover. I love it! I'll add it to my list.

PJ Hoover said...

You'll love it, MG! Enjoy!

Rebecca said...

That really does look creepy! I'm generally not a big fan of ghost stories, but it sounds intriguing.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Eeeeee! That's a spooky cover, trailer and blurb. *shivers in delight*

PJ Hoover said...

Rebecca, I don't read a ton of ghost stories, but I do like a creepy story from time to time.

love that, Tricia!

Miriam S. Forster said...

Yeesh! Ceepy cover FTW! :)

Aleetha said...

The cover is totally creepy