"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Best of the Best—My Top 2010 Book Picks




So I set a goal to read 75 books this year, and I came in at 82. That's down 6 from last year's 88, but I'm still thrilled that I was able to read so many awesome books in 2010.

But of all the great books, how am I supposed to pick my favorites? It was hard because so many are so OSUM, but for your viewing pleasure, here you go.


My Top Book Picks For 2010 (in no particular order):


DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth (Katherine Tegen Books, May 3, 2011)

Let no one tell you the dystopic genre is over. This book, due out in May 2011, rocks the house. Dystopia, may you live long and prosper. I can't wait to see what you do in book 2. And please, Veronica Roth, if you need a beta reader, keep me in mind :)




PARANORMALCY by Kiersten White (Harper, August 2010)

If you think you're sick of faeries of vampires or werewolves or any of the like, read this book.



BEFORE I FALL by Lauren Oliver (Harper, March 2010)

I worried this wouldn't live up to its reputation. It did, and then some. Groundhog Day, move way, way over. But Lauren, could you stop with the making me cry?



THE MONSTRUMOLOGIST by Rick Yancey (Simon & Schuster, September 2009)

Just looking at this cover makes me thirsty. This book is best savored with some liver, a side of fava beans, and a nice chianti.



BLACK HOLE SUN by David Macinnis Gill (Harper/Greenwillow, August 2010)

Yeah, I know when reading the blurb, it says I won't want to mess with Durango. But I'm sorry, David, after reading this book, I really do want to mess with Durango. So finish book 2 already. Bring it on.




THE MARBURY LENS by Andrew Smith (Feiwel & Friends, Nov 2010)

I think I stopped to breathe once or twice while reading this. Maybe. I can't remember. It all kind of seems like I was in another world. And if I was, would I be one of the few remaining good guys or one of the really creeped out bad guys?



PERFECT CHEMISTRY by Simone Elkeles (Walker, December 2008)

The only dual POV book I've read to date where I never once got confused as to which character was narrating. And the romance. The word "perfect" isn't in the title for nothing.





MOSTLY MONSTERLY by Tammi Sauer (Simon & Schuster, August 2010)

Tammi, you named your chicken wrong. The monster will always be Lola to me. And if there's any cuter artwork in the world, I've yet to see it.


11 comments:

Colene Murphy said...

Divergent doesn't come out until MAY!?!?! Too long to wait!!! Ugh.

Going to add The Marbury Lens to my list too. Looks/sounds so good!

Awesome list!

Solvang Sherrie said...

Awesome list. I can't wait to read Divergent. Perfect Chemistry is in my pile :)

tamarak said...

Ha! Bernadette/Lola fits right into this list. :) :) :)

Thanks so much for the shout out.

PJ Hoover said...

It's worth waiting for, Colene! But stick around for my ARC giveaway later this month.

You'll love PERFECT CHEMISTRY, Sherrie! And I bet your pile looks a lot like mine :)

You are so welcome, Tammi! Keep up the OSUM books!

Kelly said...

That is a lot of books read!! A few of those are on my TBR list. I didn't read quite as many, but certainly enjoyed what I did read. And I want the Monsterly book. Sounds awesome!

Tina Lynn said...

*sigh* I'll need to add these to the already overflowing TBR pile. It's such a hard life ;)

Kelly H-Y said...

82! That's awesome!
'Mostly Monsterly' ... I must check that one out!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Great list of books. I loved Paranormalcy. I really want to read Divergent and have heard such great things about Before I Fall. So many good books out there. Thanks for reminding us of some awesome books.

PJ Hoover said...

Kelly, that's the best part, right? Enjoying what you've read! Definitely check out MONSTERLY.

A very hard life, Tina! And one I'm glad we live :)

Kelly H-Y, I can echo the same thing that I said to the other Kelly. Check out MONSTERLY! So cute!

Thanks for all the osum support, Natalie! Enjoy your 2011 of reading and writing!

Miriam S. Forster said...

I wanna read Divergent! *pets screen*

PJ Hoover said...

I want you to read DIVERGENT, Miriam!