"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, January 31, 2011

THE DARK AND HOLLOW PLACES by Carrie Ryan




I'll admit it. I'm secretly in love with Carrie Ryan's books. When I read THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH, I actually wanted to live in a zombie-infested world.
Yeah, I know. Weird, right? Who is their right mind would want to live in a zombie-infested world (except for DAWN OF THE DEAD and the whole shopping mall thing, but that's for entirely different reasons).

In THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH, the writing drew me in, the characters drew me in, and the emotions had me dying to read the next book, THE DEAD-TOSSED WAVES. And then the next book. Which I did.


THE DARK AND HOLLOW PLACES by Carrie Ryan (Delacorte, March 22, 2011)


Fans of THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH, you will not be disappointed. Not only will you find out what happens to all the characters you love, but major stuff happens in this book. So major, the world shifts right in front of your eyes. Don't miss it! And if you haven't read THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH, there's no time like the present.


Source of ARC: From publisher by request

I'm not seeing a trailer yet for THE DARK AND HOLLOW PLACES, but here are the trailers for the first two books.

Trailer for THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH:




Trailer for THE DEAD-TOSSED WAVES:





From Amazon:

There are many things that Annah would like to forget: the look on her sister's face when she and Elias left her behind in the Forest of Hands and Teeth, her first glimpse of the horde as they found their way to the Dark City, the sear of the barbed wire that would scar her for life. But most of all, Annah would like to forget the morning Elias left her for the Recruiters.

Annah's world stopped that day and she's been waiting for him to come home ever since. Without him, her life doesn't feel much different from that of the dead that roam the wasted city around her. Then she meets Catcher and everything feels alive again.

Except, Catcher has his own secrets -- dark, terrifying truths that link him to a past Annah's longed to forget, and to a future too deadly to consider. And now it's up to Annah -- can she continue to live in a world drenched in the blood of the living? Or is death the only escape from the Return's destruction?

15 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Does The Dark and Hollow Places pick up where The Forest of Hands and Teeth left off? I was so disappointed when The Dead-Tossed Waves wasn't an actual sequel! :-)

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Shannon, it picks off where The Dead Tossed Waves leaves off. It's an actual sequel to that one, not Forest. But it's really great!

Kelly said...

Lucky you that you got to read it!
I can't wait! I met Carrie Ryan at a book signing last year, and she was so wonderful. Her writing is so eloquent!!

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Kelly! Lucky you that you got to meet her! I adore her writing.

Christine Fonseca said...

OOOhhhhh....SO SO SO excited!

Miriam S. Forster said...

Creepiest titles ever on that series. *shivers* Sounds great though!

Christina Farley said...

I'm dying to read this book! You are killing me!

PJ Hoover said...

Agreed on the titles, Miriam! And refreshingly different, too.

Does that mean you are a zombie, Christina?

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

reading this now - it is SOOOOO good.

PJ Hoover said...

Agreed, Shelli! Hope all is great with you!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I loved the first two books (although I do not want to live there!). Now you've got me salivating for Book the Third.

C.R. Evers said...

ohhhh! I love Carrie's books! I can't wait to read this one!

PJ Hoover said...

Not even in a shopping mall, Tricia? (But Carrie doesn't have the shopping mall thing going on).

You'll love it, Christy!

Natalie Aguirre said...

I 'll have to read The Dead-Tossed Waves first. Thanks for sharing.

PJ Hoover said...

Yes, definitely read Dead Tossed Waves first, Natalie!