"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, January 24, 2011

IS YOUR BUFFALO READY FOR KINDERGARTEN?




Austin is the best place to live because we have the coolest events. I'm sure of it. And this weekend was no exception because at story time at BookPeople (the best indie in the world), this darling book was featured.

IS YOUR BUFFALO READY FOR KINDERGARTEN?
written by Audrey Vernick, illustrated by Daniel Jennewein (Balzer & Bray, June 2010)



So the kids and I headed down there because
1) The book is perfect for my Kindergarten daughter
2) The illustrator Daniel Jennewein was in town ALL THE WAY FROM GERMANY
3) The illustrator is married to Lenore Appelhans the very cool book blogger from Presenting Lenore, and she was in town with him.

As a special treat, after Daniel read the book in his accent, he drew amazing pictures for each of the kids. They got to specify what they wanted, and look what he created. You know, people who can draw amaze me.


My daughter wanted an alligator.


My son wanted a pirate.


Daniel drawing



Daniel reading while Lenore holds up the book


I'd definitely recommend this picture book for the Pre-K and Kindergarten crowd. They'll love it so much that they'll insist on bringing it to school to share with their Kindergarten class (like my daughter did today).

From Amazon:

Your buffalo is growing up. He plays with friends. He shares his toys. He's smart! But is he ready for kindergarten? (And is kindergarten ready for him?)

Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten? is a hilarious look at first-day-of-school jitters from author Audrey Vernick and illustrator Daniel Jennewein.

9 comments:

Kelly said...

How awesome that he personalized each one with another fun illustration!
I think my kindergartener would love this one too!

PJ Hoover said...

I agree so much, Kelly! I mean, what a cool thing to do. I wanted to stand in line and get my own.

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I'm jealous of you Austin people always having so much fun. ;) And how great to meet Lenore!

adrienne said...

That book looks adorable. How cool that the artist drew pictures for the kids!

Lenore said...

I am so happy you were able to come. I loved meeting your kids!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

How fun for your kids! :-)

PJ Hoover said...

It was great to see Lenore, Caroline! And you could always move to Austin.

It was awesome, Adrienne! I love the pictures he drew. Wish I could draw :)

Lenore, it was great to see you again! My kids really enjoyed it.

Shannon, it was a great time. So much fun to get out to these kinds of events.

Kelly H-Y said...

How fun! That sounds like such a fun event and a great book ... will have to check that one out for my daughter! Love the pics he drew for your kiddos!

PJ Hoover said...

It's an awesome book, Kelly! And the pics are such a great thing for the kids to have now!