"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins




I've never been to France, and I admit, I've never had any burning desire to go. I mean, sure, there are lots of cool things to see (like the Eiffel Tower), and I've heard amazing stories about the pastries. But still, if I had to list ten places in the world, I'm pretty sure France wouldn't have made the cut.

Until I read...

ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins (Dutton, December 2, 2010)


Yeah, it's that kind of book. The kind that sucks you in and you really enjoy the heck out of while you're reading it, and then it just kind of sticks with you. It brings the settings to life so vividly that you at times have to remind yourself that yes, you still just live in Austin, Texas. You are not, in fact, at boarding school in France. And there is no guy that lives upstairs that you are totally crushing on.

What did I love about ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS? I loved the romance. I thought it was amazing how the author kept bringing the characters one step closer to each other yet still holding them apart. I loved the setting (did I already mention that?). I loved the idea of being a teen and going to school in France, because now after reading this, I can't imagine a better place to be. Teen girls will eat this book up. Highly recommended!

(and on a final note, Stephanie Perkins has another book coming out this fall that I'm going to have to read seeing as how it's got my daughter's name in the title:
LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR (Dutton, September 29, 2011))

And wait! If you really, really need a second opinion on why you should read this book, here's John Green telling you what he thinks :)




From Amazon:

Anna was looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. So she's less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris--until she meets Etienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Etienne has it all . . . including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss? Stephanie Perkins keeps the romantic tension crackling and the attraction high in a debut guaranteed to make toes tingle and hearts melt.


Source of book: Borrowed from friend

11 comments:

Angela Ackerman said...

I have heard that if there is one fun YA romance out there to read, it's this one. Looking forward to reading it!

Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

Tina Lynn said...

I'm not a huge fan of YA Contemporary Romance, but Stephanie Perkins pulled it off so well. I LOVED Anna and the French Kiss. Loved, loved, loved it! <3

Natalie Aguirre said...

I have the book and must read it. Everyone raves about it.

Miriam S. Forster said...

I loved this book! It inspired me to go back to doing book reviews. Anna's character arc was very well done.

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I just finished it. Super sweet.

Shallee said...

I'm with Tina-- YA contemp romance isn't quite my thing, but I really loved this one! Thanks for your review.

Hannah Kincade said...

Even a friend who doesn't read YA romance, enjoyed this one so I may take a chance.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I have got to read this now. John Green's video and your rec? I'm on it.

PJ Hoover said...

I kept hearing about it, too. I'm so glad I read it. And I'm not a huge contemp reader either. So I'm so glad the comtemp book I picked to read really worked for me!

Megan Swicegood said...

It's funny to read that France wasn't on your "to visit" list - it wasn't on mine either, but I went with a friend to Europe and she just had to go - I'm so glad I went, it was wonderful. I loved Anna and the French Kiss too - triggered some great memories for me. It was such a great story.

PJ Hoover said...

How cool, Megan! I bet it really added a nice dimension!