"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, February 21, 2011

Austin SCBWI Annual Conference Wrap-up




If you write kids' books here in Austin and you weren't at the annual SCBWI conference this past weekend, um...okay, I'll say you. You seriously missed out. It was an amazing conference with amazing people giving amazing talks and making amazing conversation. From the cocktail party Friday night (which had some of the most breathtaking readings I've heard in my life) to the all-day Saturday event filled with small-group intensives, critiques, and keynotes that will never be forgotten, we here in Austin know how to throw one amazing conference!

I'll do my best to tell it with pictures.

Egmont publisher Elizabeth Law with Bethany Hegedus, author of TRUTH WITH A CAPITAL T (Delacorte, 2010)


Austin authors E. Kristin Anderson and Jessica Lee Anderson (author of BORDER CROSSING (Milkweed, 2009)) with Houston author Melissa Buron. I'll see Melissa again in April at the Houston SCBWI conference!


Chris Barton, author of SHARK VS. TRAIN (Little, Brown, 2010) with fantastic editor Arthur Levine (who is now also an author! Check out his brand new picture book MONDAY IS ONE DAY (Scholastic, 2011)



Okay, the font thing again. I wrote Arthur's name on the board in monster letters.


K. A. Holt, author of BRAINS FOR LUNCH (Roaring Brook, 2010), and Jenny Ziegler, author of the upcoming SASS AND SERENDIPITY (Delacorte, July 2011)


Houston author Joy Preble, author of DREAMING ANASTASIA (Sourcebooks, 2010) and HAUNTED (Sourcebooks, 2011)


Austin author Gene Brenek (who always makes any event more fun!)


Jessica Lee Anderson and Me


Super Agent Emily van Beek, Kathy Nuzum (from Longmont, Colorado), and Austin author Nikki Loftin


Jessica Lee Anderson, Stephen Roxburgh, editor of Namelos, and K. A. Holt (with E. Kristin Anderson in the background)


Amazing illustrator David Diaz, Carolyn Coman, author of the super-fantastic THE MEMORY BANK (Scholastic, 2010) (review coming soon!), and Chris Barton


Kimberly Willis Holt, author of THE WATER SEEKER (Holt, May 2010), and Austin author Jeanette Larson, author of HUMMINGBIRDS (Charlesbridge, 2011)


The geniuses behind MONDAY IS ONE DAY (Scholastic, 2011), illustrator Julian Hector and author/editor Arthur Levine


Our fantastic Austin SCBWI RA Debbie Gonzales with Stephen Roxburgh


Trinity Faegen, author of the upcoming THE MEPHISTO COVENANT (Egmont, September 27, 2011) with Egmont Publisher Elizabeth Law


Houston author Jenny Moss, author of SHADOW (Scholastic), with Jessica Lee Anderson


At the faculty dinner afterward...the chef of the best quesadilla I've even had in my life with Jessica Lee Anderson


The mirror I created for the silent auction

Mirror back


Until next year...

12 comments:

Pam Harris said...

Jealous much? Seems like you had a great time! :)

PJ Hoover said...

Oh, it was so fun, Pam! Maybe you can come sometime!

storyqueen said...

Love the mirror! (especially the phrase on the back!)

Austin Rocks!!

Shelley

Sorry...overuse of exclamation points. Don't know what is with me today.....

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Shelley! And I think using exclamation points all the time is a great way to get excited about life :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

It looks like it was awesome. Wish I lived in Austin.

E. Kristin Anderson said...

I had such a great time at the conference! And wow, the photos just tell it all, don't they? Can't wait to do it all again. In the mean time, back to this writing thing!

lotusgirl said...

That looks like so much fun. I had a great time at my SCBWI conference and look forward to going to the next one. I love the self-confidence mirror. Heehee.

Janet Fox said...

Oh, so sad I couldn't be there - you guys all rock! I hope I get to see you in April at TLA.

And Tricia - one question - is that a Star Trek logo I see in the mirror/mirror? :)

Shelly B said...

Love, love, love the mirror! I could use one of those in my office. When is the Houston conference and is it just for writers?

PJ Hoover said...

Oh, I wish you did, too, Natalie!

The photos came out great, Emily! And yes, back to the writing!

I can't wait for my next one either, Lois! They are so much fun!

Yes, yes, Yes, Janet! Star Trek rocks!

Thanks, Shelly! The conference is geared for writers and illustrators for children and is the second weekend in April.

Kristin said...

The mirror is great!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Kristin! I loved making it!