"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, February 14, 2011

In Which We Rock the Pinewood Derby




Okay, bear with me. This post has nothing to do with writing (unless you consider the creativity aspect of it. Yes, I know that's a stretch.).

In case you've never heard of the Pinewood Derby, either consider yourself very lucky (that you don't have to make a car), or consider yourself very unlucky (that you don't get to make a car). I find it a great creative outlet and love seeing what design we can come up with each year.

This year, we cleaned up, winning one giant trophy (FIRST PLACE BEST DETAIL) and two medals (FASTEST IN DEN and FASTEST IN RANK)!


We all live


in a Yellow Submarine


Our trophy and medals!


My daughter (not a Cub Scout) also made a car.


I also give you our Cars of Pinewood Derby Past...


JAWS circa 2010


Our USS Enterprise circa 2009.
This baby won us First Place Best Detail.



Our first derby car
(when we didn't get the whole "how much work people put into these things" thing) circa 2008

12 comments:

Christine Marciniak said...

Awesome car! Congratulations on the trophy and medals!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Chris! And now we're done :)

Laura Pauling said...

The pinewood derby is the bane of my existence. It's taken us years to figure out the secrets of graphite on the wheels. And our cars still never go super fast. We have had some great ones. This year a dead cow with legs up in the air won. It was awesome. We're lucky to have the car there and painted!

Miriam S. Forster said...

Heehee. Your derby cars are always hilarious.

nomadshan said...

Awesome creations! I'm sure my brother made one thirty-odd years ago; it probably looked like the General Lee.

Hannah Kincade said...

That's sounds like so much fun!! congratulations!

PJ Hoover said...

Laura, your cars sound awesome! I want to see the dead cow!

thanks, Miriam! I always have fun with them.

Shannon, that's hilarious! War stuff seems very popular with the boys.

Thanks, Hannah! It's always a blast!

Adrienne said...

Those are works of art! I think Jaws is my favorite.

Tere Kirkland said...

I remember making one of these in Shop class! My brother got to make one in Scouts, too.

Fun post!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Adrienne! I really love doing the detail painting!

Thanks, Tere! It's really fun to do this stuff from time to time.

Lisa Potts said...

Those cars are great! We've got a couple of Pinewood Derby trophies at our house too. Such great memories!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Lisa! I think we need to find a nice display case.