"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, February 10, 2011

POSSESSION by Elana Johnson




In the rare event that you don't read Elana Johnson's blog or know that she has a book coming out this June, then take a moment right now to go over and follow her blog. Why? Since the book releases in four months, I'll give you four reasons why:

1) Elana is pretty much made of awesome.
2) Elana's book is pretty much made of awesome.
3) Elana's blog is an incredible wealth of humor and inspiration and knowledge.
4) Elana just seems fun.

Okay, so now that we've gotten meeting Elana out of the way, let's talk about her book. And before you ask, yes, I'd love to give my ARC away. Really, I would. But instead I'm going to be giving away real hardcover copies (as opposed to ARCs) when the release date is closer, so totally check back then.

POSSESSION by Elana Johnson (Simon Pulse, June 7th 2011)


I finished POSSESSION last night after a mad flurry of page turning. I had to find out what happened next. You see, there's this main character Violet (Vi) who is like everything that she isn't supposed to be, and it makes her totally endearing. She's sarcastic and hard-headed and fun.

Wait, she's a lot like Elana (I mean the fun part). She even has short black hair.

Anyway, Violet has a voice that makes POSSESSION stand out in the realm of dystopic fantasy for teens. And then let's talk about the love triangle. Can you say perfect? I had no clue what would happen in the end. Really, no clue. And I'm still spinning after finding out.

POSSESSION is kind of like MATCHED (by Allie Condie) meets CANDOR (by Pam Bachorz). It's perfect for fans of dysoptic and paranormal fantasy, boys and girls, seventh grade and up.

Trust me, you want to read this book!

From Amazon:

Vi knows the Rule: Girls don’t walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn…and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi’s future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they’re set on convincing Vi to become one of them….starting by brainwashed Zenn. Vi can’t leave Zenn in the Thinkers’ hands, but she’s wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous: everything Zenn’s not. Vi can’t quite trust Jag and can’t quite resist him, but she also can’t give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.


Source of ARC: From publisher by request

17 comments:

Lisa_Gibson said...

I'm sooo jealous! I cannot wait to read POSSESSION. Glad to hear it's worth the wait. But we all knew it would be, right?! :)
Lisa ~ YA Literature Lover

Colene Murphy said...

OHH!! You read it already!? Wicked woman! Awesome review. I bet it is amazing! She couldn't do anything but amazing!

owlandsparrow said...

Totally agree—fabulous novel! Yay, Elana!!! :)

—Kayla Olson

Kelly H-Y said...

Yay, Elana! Great review!

Janet Johnson said...

Totally jealous, too!

Elana is made of awesome, for sure.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

O-M-G! You have no idea how badly I want to read this book. Elana is beyond wonderful in every way and I have NO DOUBT her book will be, too. :-)

Elana Johnson said...

Thank you, PJ! You are so amazing to give me so much love. <3

PJ Hoover said...

We all did, Lisa! So well said!

OMG, I know what you mean, Colene. She seems to do everything right!

Thank you, Kayla! You brought the magic together for me.

PJ Hoover said...

A great review for a great book, Kelly!

Janet, it's going to be release time before you know it!

Shannon, those were my thoughts exactly. I am so happy I was able to read it!

Elana, thank you for writing an OSUM book!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Oh, you lucky duck! Can't wait to read it. And, yes, Elana is made of awesome.

T.V and Book Addict said...

Love your post and yes, yes I want to read it too! Can't wait to get the chance to :)

Corinne O'Flynn said...

my amazon pre-order page mocks me! I am jealous that you've read it. *sniff*

Congrats to Elana... this is such an amazing this to witness. :)

booksntea said...

Oooooh! This sounds like great read. It's definitely going on my to buy pile once it hits shelves!

- Jackie

PJ Hoover said...

Oh, you guys are really going to love it! I can't wait for you to read it.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I'm so glad you're shouting out about Elana's book. I can't wait to read it. Wish I got an ARC and the book.

Trisha Pearson said...

Possession sounds awesome. I can't wait to read it now!

PJ Hoover said...

You'll love it, Natalie and Trisha!