"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, April 22, 2011

On inspiration and coincidence...




There's nothing like finding this in the garage to inspire one to spend the next three hours cleaning and getting rid of stuff.


Here are my deep thoughts for the day:

1) This thing is wicked poisonous. It has a neurotoxin that will kill in hours.
2) It was in our garage where we keep the tortoises at night.
3) My 9 year-old son has been the one putting the tortoises away at night (here's where my mom starts freaking out. Trust me, mom, I'm freaked enough for both of us).
4) Our elliptical machine is in the garage.
5) Our elliptical machine has been broken for like two months now.
6) It's taken them forever to get us the parts and to finally get the service appointment scheduled.
7) Today, finally, Josh and Josh come over to fix the elliptical machine.
8) When they are done, Josh 1 brings me out to the garage so he can show me what he fixed on the elliptical machine.
9) He happens to look into the tort habitat and says, "is that a snake?"
10) Josh 1 just happened to work at the Exotic Pet store before this job fixing elliptical machines.
11) He and Josh 2 proceed to use Kung Fu weapons and clippers around the garage to hold it in place and chop its head off.

Okay, I know this is deep, but here goes. I may have been annoyed it took so long to get the elliptical machine fixed. I may have been frustrated that the parts took so long to come in. I may have thought I didn't want to spend Good Friday having the elliptical repair guys come over.

But...

If they hadn't been over today and seen the snake and taken care of it, what could have happened?

Coincidence? Divine intervention? Just really good timing? I know what I believe.

29 comments:

Leah Clifford said...

Especially because Coral Snake anti-venom is so expensive to produce and used so rarely that the company STOPPED MAKING IT. There IS none.

Christine Marciniak said...

I just got chills reading this!

Kai said...

That is an amazing story! Glad it turned out the way it did.

PJ Hoover said...

I know, Leah! Deep breath.

I got chills writing it, Christine.

Me, too, Kai. I'm definitely a believer :)

Thrifty Sassy Mommy said...

ICCcccck! I just shuttered reading this.

Alyssa said...

oh my goodness that is CRAZY!! Thankfully everything turned out the way it did!

Marty said...

That is wild... really wild!

Robin L said...

Oh dear lord. I'd be having a MAJOR freakout! Thank gawd for Josh and Josh! And yeah, that timing is too perfect.

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I had to say the little red and yellow chant. So glad you are okay!

PJ Hoover said...

I shudder writing it, Thrifty!

I'm so happy all is ell, Alyssa!

Totally wild, marty.

Robin, Josh and Josh got a nice top.

Caroline, I had to say the chant too to believe it.

Jessica Lee Anderson said...

I know what I believe too! So glad that things worked out

Miriam Forster said...

AHHHHHH!!!!

I'm so glad you're safe!

It didn't hurt the tortoises, did it?

Beth S. said...

Holy wow is that scary! I got chills just reading this and looking at that picture!

Sophia the Writer said...

This is the creepiest post I've read all year...I'm so grossed out!!!

And - where the heck do you live??? (Texas if I recall?) I'm so glad I'm a city girl.

Jim Danielson said...

Is that snake native to your area?? Wow! I can tell you if Mary sees this blog we won't be headed for Texas any time soon.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Eeeeeeks. My stomach is flipping. That is truly frightening. I'm so glad Josh spotted it, and you are all okay.

PJ Hoover said...

Me, too, Jessica. Will you still come over now?

The torts are great, Miriam. I've heard (now) that they share their habitats with snakes ?!

So scary, Beth. I bet I know what I'll dream about tonight.

Totally Texas, Sophia. We're like the Australia of the USA.

Sadly, yes, Jim. But it's the first time in 17 years I've seen one in the wild (if my garage can be considered the wild).

Josh is my hero, Tricia. I may have to name a character after him.

Jessica Lee Anderson said...

I might name a character after Josh, too! BTW, I will still come over but will be extra vigilant.

Shelli Cornelison said...

Glad your Good Friday repairmen showed up!

Lindsey Lane said...

I think guardian angels...yeah that's what I think.

C.R. Evers said...

Yikes! How terrifying. So glad that things turned out well.

PJ Hoover said...

Me, too, Shelli!

Guardian angels are wonderful, Lindsey. I'm happy for them.

Totally me, too, Christy. Whew.

Beverly said...

I too have a snake in my garage - it's a HUGE 5 foot corn snake - I love her - I think it is a her. She is wild, loves my garage and keeps the mice out - so I love her too. Of course she is not poisonous in ANY way. I would completely freak out with your snake!!!!!!! I too believe in divine intervention! Have a great Easter.

galbright said...

I have a very visceral reaction to snakes, even if they are not poisonous. I'm glad no humans were bitten on your property.
Isn't the snake also considered a symbol of resurrection, because it sheds its skin? And it's the Easter weekend. Oh, well, life imitates myth.

librarypat said...

While coral snakes are rather poisonous, they are not aggressive. They don't have big fangs like pit vipers. They also have rather small mouths and usually need a small area, like between the fingers to bite. All Josh & Josh would have to do is put on a pair of leather gloves and they would have been fine. Pop the snake into a pillow case and let it go in a remote area or take it to a college. They do fill an important niche in the environment, as do the pit vipers, and we just need to learn to live with them.
As you can probably tell, we are the ones all the neighbors all call to come get the snakes or any other animal for that matter, out of their yards.

Glad your son is OK.

PJ Hoover said...

Beverly, Wow! I'm not sure I could walk out into the garage at night, even with a friendly snake.

Galbright, I love this interpretation! It's perfect and sheds a new light on the whole incident.

Librarypat, if only you lived next door. Next time, I will be a much smarter (an maybe kinder) snake fighter.

J. L. Jackson said...

Wow! So glad they were there and saw that. Thank goodness for some things. That would scare me to death.

Devony said...

Oh my gosh! I saw this and immediately started doing the "if red touches black, you're ok Jack, If red touches yellow, you're a dead fellow" thing. Aack! Definitely divine intervention! holy crap, where do you live?

PJ Hoover said...

J. L., it completely freaked me out. Yikes!

Devony, I'm in Austin, TX. I guess they are pretty common here, but it's taken 17 years for us to see one.