"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Sunday, April 03, 2011

Writing from the Place: TEN WAYS TO MULTITASK AS AN AUTHOR




I can't be the only one. I do all my stuff I need to do to be an author which involves things like writing and reading and revising and marketing. The list goes on and on and on. But guess what? In life, I'm more than just an author. I'm a normal person, too, with normal person things that have to get done. And sometimes I wonder how I can balance it all.

So what do I do? How do I keep the house of cards from falling down around me? I turn to my writing group for answers because my writing group rocks.

We here at THE PLACE (being Me,
K. A. Holt, Jessica Lee Anderson, E. Kristin Anderson, Madeline Smoot, Mari Mancusi, Stephanie Pellegrin, new member Kayla Olson, and sometimes member Jenny Ziegler) are here to help you balance your house of cards that is your life.

We give you...

TEN WAYS TO MULTITASK AS AN AUTHOR

1) Roomba

If I were to get a new one, I'd go for this Wall-E edition.
Did you see that movie? Loved it.


2) Rice Cooker, crock pot, or anything else that can cook while you work
It's best to have your recipes picked out ahead of time, but if that fails, feel no shame in rummaging through your freezer and pantry and throwing random things in to see what comes out.


3) Netflix livestreaming of Mythbusters episodes
Er... as in cheap, easy babysitting. NOT to watch. TV watching + writerly tasks is beyond our powers of multitasking.



4) FitDesk
Limit your Internet usage during the day to time only spend while exercising.


5) Get that cell phone data plan...someday
Because, seriously, the more that can get done when not in front of the computer, the more writing, etc, that will get done when in front of the computer.



6) More tabs in Firefox than, like, firefoxly possible

Have you tried Foxtab?


7) Writing/editing by the pool to get that suntan and fool everyone with office jobs into thinking you live a glamorous life

We cannot be held responsible if you drop your laptop in the pool.


8) Reading what you wrote the day before while drying your hair. Yep.
Post it in the shower if you feel so inspired. A sheet protector will keep it from getting ruined.


9) Blogging and answering emails while on a date
Seriously. Emily is pretty sure Boyfriend doesn't even notice that she does this anymore.


10) Kindle
Or Nook. Or ereader of your choice. I borrowed one recently and read at the park, read while waiting for the kids. Read while the kids did their homework. It feels way less intrusive that holding a "paper" book in hand, and so much easier to just set down.

Which, btw, what is the better choice?

12 comments:

LindsayWrites said...

love this! nook is better =]

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Lindsay! I've been trying to decide, but it seems like Nook comes out ahead in most cases.

Miriam S. Forster said...

Hahaha!

So far I have 2, 5, 6 and 9 down.

Also, I have a Nook and love it. I still read mostly paper though because that's what my library gives me. :)

Jill Douglass said...

Nook!!! You can check out eBooks from the library and put them on your nook!

PJ Hoover said...

Nook, Nook, Nook. I'm thinking Nook.

Miriam, you seem to have the organizational part definitely going on.

Jill, so cool. So on Kindle you can't do this?

storyqueen said...

I want the fit desk!!

Kayeleen Hamblin said...

So many good ideas. I would die without my netflicks account. I don't know what I did before the munchkins could watch Thomas the Tank Engine on repeat all day. ;)

Tere Kirkland said...

Roomba FTW!

I think I need a fitcycle, too...

Tere Kirkland said...

Oh, and I have a nook, too. I feel like it helps me read faster, so that's like helping make my "research" take less time. ;)

Natalie Aguirre said...

Great tips. I love a crock pot for cooking.

PJ Hoover said...

Shelley, my friend swears by the Fitdesk.

Kayeleen, Thomas the Tank Train was a blessing when my kids were smaller. He was even hypnotic to me.

Tere, I love Roomba! He's so thorough. And Nook again. I think the fates are telling me...

The crock pot makes me feel like at least I'm doing something, Natalie. And it is low effort :)

Jessica Lee Anderson said...

I love my new FitDesk! I must revamp my schedule so all Internet usage takes place while biking so I get more work done. Love these ideas! I need to do more with my crockpot.