"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

HOURGLASS by Myra McEntire




I was thrilled to get an advanced reader copy of this book for review. Ever since I saw the cover (more on that), I had to read it!

HOURGLASS by Myra McEntire (Egmont, June 14, 2011)


There are so many reasons I loved this book, I'll see if I can hit on all of them.

1) Yes, the cover. It's like INCEPTION without all the loud noises.
2) Time travel. And the best thing about the time travel in HOURGLASS is that it pretty much works. I mean, I'm an engineer, and I bought off on it. Nicely done!
3) The romance. Insert electricity between love interests, and I'm hooked.
4) The writing. Was fantastic. I found myself completely engaged in the story which is such a nice treat.

This book is what happens when time travel meets the X-men, complete with Wolverine, Jean Gray, Cyclops, and Professor Xavier. And seeing as how I LOVE X-Men and how I love time travel, well...this book was right my virtual alley. Aside from one of the best covers of 2011, the inside of this book definitely delivers! Highly recommended for girls and boys, seventh grade and up, fans of fantasy and science fiction.

Source of book: From publisher by request

Love this cover reveal book trailer!



From Amazon:

One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science-fiction genres in a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.

12 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

I've been hearing great things about this. I'll have to add it to my ever growing list.

PJ Hoover said...

Natalie, I really enjoyed it! I'm sure you would, too.

StuckInBooks said...

Oh wow. I've seen the cover a lot but never stopped to read about the book. The trailer is wonderful. Add it to the TBR pile (a growing pile)

Thanks for sharing.

stuckinbooks.com

PJ Hoover said...

A growing TBR pile is a thing of happiness!

All-4-Alabama said...

Oh PJ I am dying for this one!! It looks awesome!


Visit My Kingdom Anytime

ALL 4 ALABAMA DISASTER RELIEF

Mundie Moms said...

I LOVE this book! It's a fabulous debut and I can not wait for it's release. Myra is a fabulous story teller and I love what she's done with her characters and world building.

Aleksandra said...

Great review! I've already wanted to read it, but now I want it now :D

Solvang Sherrie said...

I'm so excited for this one to come out!!

PJ Hoover said...

It is definitely worth the read!

Tim said...

There is nothing better than a great time travel novel!

Follower

scunningham@normanhoward.org

MCN said...

SO excited for this book! Even had a post dedicated to how excited I was! :) Loved reading your post! You definitely have a new follower!

Thanks!

http://sashandem.blogspot.com/

-Em

PJ Hoover said...

I'm really happy I read it! I had no idea what it was about and was definitely pleased!