"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, May 23, 2011

TOP TEN REASONS TO GO TO DALLAS COMIC CON




On a normal top ten day, I'd have the input from my whole writing group. But this weekend was not a normal weekend, and this top ten list is not a normal top ten list.

It's freaking awesome is what it is, because this past weekend I headed up to Dallas Comic Con with Jessica Lee Anderson, Madeline Smoot (awesome publisher of CBAY books), and Denise Getson for an amazing time.

I have finally found my peeps.

*****

I give you the Top Ten Reasons to go to Dallas Comic Con (with pictures):

1) When you drive up from Austin, you get to stop in Italy, Texas, home of the Starship Pegasus.

Madeline Smoot tells me this used to be part of a mini-golf course.

My daughter took this picture of me and Jessica Lee Anderson.
We asked, "how is it?"
She said, "it's great...except there aren't any heads."


2) Finally getting my Starfleet Academy car sticker I've wanted forever.

Serious Star Trek heaven


3) Being able to dress like a Greek Goddess and have a beautiful display of all my books!

Thank you to Madeline Smoot for such a great display and booth!

4) Hanging out with other Greek deities all day, and not even getting turned into stone.

Me, Madeline (as Medusa), and Jessica Lee Anderson


5) Getting awesome artwork!

My family picked this out for me. Best. Picture. Ever.


6) Meeting an angry Klingon who only wanted to eat his hot dog in peace.

We approached him right after he got out of the hour-long line for food.

Finding out he wasn't really angry at all!

Look how much happier he is now.
(p.s. Thanks to Shane Dison for all the pics!)


7) Did I mention photo opportunities?

It wouldn't have been Comic Con without Darth Vader.


Emperor's Royal Battle Guard!
Think this costume is pretty sweaty?


Thanks to Lance Marcus for the pic!


The Costumed Crusaders rocked the place!


8) Having someone make the "Who Mourns for Adonis" reference before me!

Thanks, Steven House!


9) Live sales for SOLSTICE a la Nook (and taking pictures while they happened)!

Thank you to Teresa Rollins Boullion

Realizing Comic Con is filled with people who read ebooks!

Thanks, Aaron C!


10) Finding out SOLSTICE is the newest hot read no matter what galaxy you're from!

He's thinking, "That is the nicest cover I've ever seen."
And then he's marking it on his Goodreads to-be-read list.


Wait, I just wanted to try the helmet on!

11 comments:

Jessica Lee Anderson said...

I love this so very, very much! Thanks for letting me join in the fun!

PJ Hoover said...

Jessica, it would not have been the same without you! Thank you for going!

GABY said...

Wow, awesome costume!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Sounds like fun. Awesome they have it in Dallas.

Miriam Forster said...

AHAHAHAHA!! I laughed so hard at these pictures, I actually started wheezing. I can't decide which is best: you getting between a KLINGON and his food (are you INSANE?) or you almost getting shot by the stormtrooper.

Looks like you had an awesome time!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Gaby! It's so much fun to dress up!

It was a great time, Natalie! And yes, Dallas is so close!

Miriam, you would love Comic Con. Do I see it in your future?

galbright said...

Those are all very cute pictures. Such enthusiasm. Don't we all love dressing up? Everyone looks so happy.

Kelly said...

I love all the pics! What a fun event!
You goddesses look beautiful!
And I love the stormtrooper with Solstice!

PJ Hoover said...

There is nothing quite like dressing up, I agree!

Thank you, Kelly! I think it's his favorite book. And if he likes it, then every single clone should like it, too, right?

storyqueen said...

Okay, this is just the coolest post EVER!

Love your costume! And I am positively GREEN that you got to try on a stormtrooper helmet!!

Lucky!

PJ Hoover said...

I thought you would like it, Shelley!