"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, June 10, 2011

Writing from the Place: TEN REASONS TO WRITE OUTSIDE





It seems that as writers we spend lots of time inside, hunched over in front of a computer, sucking in the air conditioning. It's lonely inside. It's dark. It's recycled air.

We here at THE PLACE (being Me, K. A. Holt, Jessica Lee Anderson, E. Kristin Anderson, Madeline Smoot, Mari Mancusi, Stephanie Pellegrin, Kayla Olson, and new members Bethany Hegedus & Jenny Moss) want to offer an alternative. See we've started something new. THE PLACE has indoor seating, and THE PLACE has outdoor seating.

We give you:

TEN REASONS TO WRITE OUTSIDE


1) Sunshine cures rejection depression.
Proven fact.
Writing with friends cures rejection depression, too.
Proven fact.




2) The smell of cigarette smokes brings out your inner Hemingway.
And if it gets to be too much, you can play musical chairs.



3) The dogs roaming around the place make you laugh.
Not to mention you can pick them up and get a quick snuggle.


4) The more overheard conversations, the better your dialogue will be.
And trust us when we tell you THE PLACE is filled with interesting conversations. It defines "Keep Austin Weird."



5) Crazy artwork provides new story ideas.
So do decapitated statues and fountains of boys peeing. This all goes into the ambiance category.


6) Two for one - getting a tan and getting word count done
But do remember your sunscreen if you plan to sit in direct sunlight.
Direct sunlight helps keep the vampires away.


7) Having table service encourages Butt-in-chair writing.
Yes, table service. Outside you get waited on!


8) Exercise provided by chasing papers blowing in wind.
Also by walking the further distance to the bathrooms. It's all good.


9) PJ Hoover will buy you a cookie if it rains
This isn't really true, but it's something I had to convince E. Kristin Anderson of before she would come outside. Maybe I'll make cookies next time and bring them.


10) Writing outside allows more people to fit in the writing group.
There are no confining walls. There is freedom to sit other places besides booths and chairs.


So what are you waiting for? Grab your computer, paper, or notebook and head outside!

18 comments:

Jessica Lee Anderson said...

This makes me want to go write there OUTSIDE at this very moment! I'm sad to miss the next several weeks

Jinky said...

I'm not a writer but I enjoyed this post. Thanks! ~It's drizzling outside at the moment so I'll have to wait a bit before I go outside. :)

owlandsparrow said...

Bah. Outside-ness…as one of the few who prefer the inside, this post makes me appreciate the outside-ness of The Place. ;) Our little green picnic table nook was rather lovely yesterday, wish I could have stayed longer!

:) Kayla

Shana Norris said...

I've been writing outside the last couple of months to enjoy the sunshine. Love it! But my outside doesn't look as nice as THE PLACE...and there's no table service. :(

On the plus side, I haven't seen any vampires lurking around so the sunshine in my outside really does keep them away.

Lindsey Lane said...

And of course, writing outside makes you want get the word count down and done before you start sweating and short circuit your laptop.

PJ Hoover said...

Me, too, Jessica! We'll miss you next week, but I'll be there from 9-3:30 pushing out tons of words.

Jinky, I'm glad you liked it! It did rain on us one time, but The Place has some tables under a patio cover which made it doable. Getting outside is nice for anything.

Kayla, I know! But the picnic table area really is a nice alternative, isn't it. It's cozy and quiet and shaded.

Shana, you should move to Austin. There is lots of room at The Place :) It's funny because we see anything there. It truly is a weird place.

Thanks for stopping by, all!

PJ Hoover said...

Oh, cross posted, Lindsey! Yes, the sweat :) And I have to make sure I don't dump water of Jessica' computer either.

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Will you send cookies to ABQ, PJ? Not that you'll have to any time soon. I think our clouds have forgotten how to rain. ;)

Vonna said...

Ahh, I'm jealous! My writing group is scattered across the planet this summer, so I write outside by myself everyday until the heat drives me inside or my battery dies, whichever comes first.

E. Kristin Anderson said...

I think we're going to have to add more to the cookie stipulations. Like if it Rains, if it breaks 100, if you get heat exhaustion...(seriously I am horrible at being outside in the TX summer).

xE

Jim Danielson said...

I was filling up the gas tank and ready to head southwest until I read the fine print that you were kidding about the cookie. You almost had me...

PJ Hoover said...

Caroline, I am having a serious desire to make cookies now. And if I make enough, they are coming your way!

Vonna, what if they were on different planets? That would be cool!

Well, summer will be hiatus time for me, Emily, so you may be saved.

Jim...what I said to Caroline. You guys deserve cookies :)

Sharon Bayliss said...

You are at the Spider House. Do I get any reward for recognizing that? ;)

PJ Hoover said...

You do get a reward, Sharon! Email me your address and I'll send you something :) triciajh (at) yahoo (dot) com

Miriam Forster said...

Yay for snuggling doggies! *snuggles imaginary dog*

If I come to Austin someday and write outside with you, will you buy ME a cookie? :)

PJ Hoover said...

OMG, yes, Miriam! Cookies all around!

Becca Puglisi said...

So jealous! It's too stinking hot here to write outside for awhile. Plus, the lawn guys are here, and leaf blowers and flying dirt do not inspire me.

Becca @ The Bookshelf Muse

PJ Hoover said...

Hope it cools down for you Becca. We have some nice shade which really helps.