"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, July 06, 2011

ASHES by Ilsa Bick

If you're like me, these days I read lots of first books in series, but it's rare when I actually care enough to want to pick up book two and run with it. So when I finish a book and really can't wait to find out what happens next, I relish that feeling. Enter...

ASHES by Ilsa Bick (Egmont, September 6, 2011)


The day after I finished ASHES, I had the joy of meeting Ilsa in person and helping her celebrate ASHES at ALA. In addition to being a fellow Star Trek lover, Ilsa was smart and savvy and completely easy to talk to. Her book rocked, and I was able to tell her so in person.

Ilsa Bick has a few things mastered.

First, this girl can torture her characters. And though I love each and every one of her characters, I completely appreciate the fact that they need to go through these tough circumstances. The world has faced an apocalypse. And yes, there are zombies. Torturing characters is necessary.

Second, Ilsa is the master of the cliffhanger chapter endings. While reading, I kept saying I'd go to bed at the end of the current chapter, but I was unable to put the book down.

Third, like I mentioned, these characters are worthy of our caring. They make us want to see them survive because they deserve to survive. I'm only sad because I know they all can't.

Do yourself a favor and pre-order ASHES. You will want to read this the day it is released (unless you're lucky enough to read an ARC like me). Highly recommended for boys and girls, seventh grade and up.

And, for fun, here is Ilsa talking about ASHES and her main character Alex.



Source of book: From publisher at TLA

From Amazon:

It could happen tomorrow . . .

An electromagnetic pulse flashes across the sky, destroying every electronic device, wiping out every computerized system, and killing billions.
Alex hiked into the woods to say good-bye to her dead parents and her personal demons. Now desperate to find out what happened after the pulse crushes her to the ground, Alex meets up with Tom—a young soldier—and Ellie, a girl whose grandfather was killed by the EMP.

For this improvised family and the others who are spared, it’s now a question of who can be trusted and who is no longer human.

Author Ilsa J. Bick crafts a terrifying and thrilling novel about a world that could be ours at any moment, where those left standing must learn what it means not just to survive, but to live amidst the devastation.

11 comments:

Miriam Forster said...

ASHES is A-MAZ-ING! I had to read it in tiny shifts because it was so terrifying.

*shudder*

Matthew MacNish said...

Zombies? Anything with zombies in it is FTW.

Christina Farley said...

Sounds so cool. I've always been freaked out about the concept of those magnetic pulses.

PJ Hoover said...

Lol, Miriam. I know what you mean. But I couldn't putnit down.

Yes, zombies, Matt. But different from normal. Creamier, I'd say.

Me too, christina. And she does a great job with the science of it all.

Jamie Manning said...

Just finished this one last week and LOVED it!! Such intensity that I couldn't put it down...cannot WAIT for the next installment in this series. And I don't know about you, but I would love to see Alex and Tom and the rest if Ilsa's world on the big screen!!

PJ Hoover said...

Totally agree, Jamie! It would be great on the big screen!

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

This is the problem with ALA. In the weeks following it, my TBR pile grows to touch the sky. *sigh*

I'm adding this one too. :)

Peggy Eddleman said...

Oh my gosh. Sounds like a FABULOUS book!

Cassandra said...

Eek The covee looks scary but I still like it.

PJ Hoover said...

The cover totally fits the book! Scary and awesome.

Coreena McBurnie said...

Love your review, so enthusiastic! I am definitely going to look this one up.