"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

ASTRONAUT ACADEMY: ZERO GRAVITY by Dave Roman

Book Review brought to you by my 10-year-old son.

I (PJ - the mom) was thrilled to meet Dave Roman at ALA and pick up this book at the recommendation of my friend E. Kristin Anderson who raved and raved about it. So happy I did. My son finished it within a day and highly recommends it to anyone who loves graphic novels, space stories, and fun.

****

ASTRONAUT ACADEMY: ZERO GRAVITY by Dave Roman (First Second, June 7, 2011)


(From my son...)

I would recommend ASTRONAUT ACADEMY: ZERO GRAVITY to kids from about third grade to adult. It's full of fun and adventure. My favorite part was the flashback where Hakata (the main character) fought the birds. This book is guaranteed to make you want to forget about playing the iPod or Wizard 101 and read all day.

*****

Bottom line - If you have a kid, buy this book for them. If you don't have a kid, buy this book for yourself!

From Amazon:

Hakata Soy's past life as the leader of a futuristic super team won't stay in the past!

The former space hero is doing his best to keep his head down at Astronaut Academy. Things aren't going so great, though. The most popular girl in school has it in for him. His best friend won't return his calls. And his new roommate is a complete jock who only cares about Fireball.

Hakata just wants to make a fresh start. But how will he find time to study Anti-Gravity Gymnastics and Tactical Randomness when he's got a robot doppelganger on its way to kill him?

Source of book: Bought at ALA

8 comments:

phyllis sweetwater said...

How great is that. You son is ready for a job as a book reviewer. My 9 yr old will love it, thanks for the reccomendation.

PJ Hoover said...

You're welcome, Phyllis! It's a fantastic choice!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Great review. Thanks for sharing it.

PJ Hoover said...

You're welcome, Natalie! It's a fun book!

E. Kristin Anderson said...

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!

I totally can't wait for the next book. Isn't Dave awesome?

PJ Hoover said...

Totally osum, Emily! Thank you for the great suggestion!

Kelly H-Y said...

Thank you, thank you! I'm always on the lookout for books that will interest my 9-year old son!! I'm getting this one!

PJ Hoover said...

He will love it, Kelly!