"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, July 29, 2011

YA INDIE CARNIVAL: WHY I WRITE MY GENRE(S)


It's time again for the YA Indie Carnival, an awesome group of weekly bloggers blogging about the same topic! Wait, you haven't heard of the YA Indie Carnival? You're totally missing out. But no longer! You can check out all the amazing author/bloggers below:


Okay, here's the deal! Each Friday, because Friday is awesome, we all blog about the same topic. This week's topic?

WHY MY GENRE?


Right. So first maybe I should define the genres I've published.

There is my middle grade science fiction series. By middle grade, I'm hitting kids 3rd grade and up. Think Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. But then think telepathy and telekinesis instead of magic. That's where my books THE EMERALD TABLET, THE NAVEL OF THE WORLD, and THE NECROPOLIS come in.



Next there is SOLSTICE. SOLSTICE is young adult (think 7th grade and up), and it's sort of a blend of mythology, dystopia, and paranormal. TWILIGHT meets THE LIGHTNING THIEF meets THE HUNGER GAMES is the closest I can come to categorizing it.


Why do I write science fiction and fantasy, and why do I write for kids and teens?

I'm going to keep it simple and chronicle the books that had the most impact on me growing up.

3rd grade - THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE by C. S. Lewis (First fantasy book I really discovered. The world was so real to me, and I wanted to be part of it)

4th grade - THE CAVE OF TIME by Edward Packard (because there is nothing like a good Choose Your Own Adventure book, and this one is the best)

6th grade - MYTHOLOGY by Edith Hamilton (I fell in love with mythology)

7th grade - GONE WITH THE WIND by Margaret Mitchell (which is a dystopic story in the true sense of the word)

8th grade - THE HOBBIT by J. R. R. Tolkien (does this really need any explanation?)

10th grade - BRAVE NEW WORLD by Aldous Huxley (Wow. I mean, really. Wow. What a world. What ideas.)

11th grade - OEDIPUS REX by Sophocles (there was something about not knowing if this was truth of fiction that really stuck with me)

College - FOUNDATION by Isaac Asimov (an epic science fiction series. One I wanted to go on forever and ever. Sadly, it didn't, but the love of science fiction stuck)

****

So why do I write in my genre? Because if you take all the above books and shove them in a giant blender, what you'll end up with are the books I write :)

9 comments:

Amy Jones said...

Hi P.J.

I really enjoyed reading your post this week. I find it fascinating to learn what makes other authors tick. i find we share some of the same favorite reads. I also love The Lion, the Witch and Wardrobe as a Kid, still do.

You've got me curious about your book Solstice now. Cassandra Clare is my favorite YA paranormal writer. I tend to think of her books as a Twilight meets Percy meets Hunger Games variety as well and have been told that my books compare to hers in writing style (what a huge compliment, eh?)

It was nice to learn more about you this week! I look forward to your next post.

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Amy! Thanks! I love hearing the stories of other authors, too. So maybe we write alike? I'll have to check it out. Thanks for visiting :)

Heather Cashman said...

Your books sound as good as a smoothie. Love it.

PJ Hoover said...

LOL! i love your comment, Heather!

laurasmagicday said...

Ah...Asimov! I need to read him:) The first book I fell in love with was The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury:) I think he probably goes with the flavors in your blender too:) Great post, PJ.

Cyndi Tefft said...

I love the blender analogy. People often ask authors whether any specific characters are based on people they know. All of my characters are a result of the mental blender, just as your stories are. Love it!

Patti Larsen said...

Awesome, PJ--our reading education was similar, only I had the Dragonriders of Pern and Isaac Asimov thrown in there... I remember my Dad reading me the Hobbit and LOTR when I was really little and loving them... :)

T. R. Graves said...

It's amazing how authors have the ability to inspire to the point where words stick with us for our entire lives and shape who we become.

PJ Hoover said...

Ray Bradbury would definitely fit, Laura! He's awesome!

Mental blender! Love it, Cyndi!

I loved Pern, Patti. And Roger Zelazny. He had a huge impact, too.

Totally agree, T. R.!

Thanks for visiting, all :)