"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, July 22, 2011

YA INDIE CARNIVAL: WHY INDIE?


I'm thrilled to be joining the YA Indie Carnival (one week late, but better late than never)!
Wait, you haven't heard of the YA Indie Carnival? You're totally missing out. But no longer! It's a weekly post by each of the following amazing indie authors:


Okay, here's the deal! Each Friday, because Friday is awesome, we all blog about the same topic. This week's topic?

WHY INDIE?

It's a great question. Why write a book and bring it out independently (like I did with SOLSTICE)?


Easy. I'll answer with a question.

WHY NOT?

I mean seriously? Why. Not? So you've written a brilliant piece of young adult literature. You've run it by critique partners who think it is awesome. You've revised it countless times. You've poured your heart and soul into it. This. Is. The. Story.

And then...

...for some reason, traditional publishing turns out to not be the path for this beautiful story.
Either you queried and didn't find the right agent.
Or you submitted to traditional publishing houses but never got the right fit.
Or your genre is too late for traditional publishing and its really long time delay (which can be two years or more sometimes!).
Or you've had a bad experience in the past with traditional publishing.
Whatever the reason, it turns out traditional publishing is not in the cards for this book.

You're down to two options:
  1. Shelve the book. After all, bytes are free.
  2. Indie publish the book.

Yes, why the heck not?

I am of the feeling that with publishing breaking down all barriers, it is a crime to yourself to go with option (1). If you really put the work into the story, and you truly believe in it, then why not indie publish it?

Are you scared of the stigma associated with indie publishing?

News flash: Each day that stigma is getting tread on by amazing authors bringing their amazing books out independently. I've read these books, and I'll be the first to stand up and tell you there is some great reading to be had (check my reviews here and here). And they are a bargain. Great reading for a great price. It's a win/win situation.

So why write for the indie market? Why read in the indie market? Simple. It is the future.

16 comments:

Miriam Forster said...

Yay Indies! *waves flag*

Matthew MacNish said...

I used to run an independent record label, and indie music has always been cooler than mainstream. I hope (and think) we may be coming to a time when the same is true for books. That would be so cool.

Patti Larsen said...

EXACTLY!!! Why NOT put your work out there? Creativity is meant to be shared... and everyone EVERYONE has an audience.

PJ Hoover said...

Yay, Miriam!

I totally agree, Matthew! I am so excited at all the changes in the market. Sure, they are a bit scary, but so cool!

Yes, Patti! And it's such a freeing feeling to recognize this.

Courtney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Courtney said...

You're so right. It is the future. And we're right here on the front lines of it. How cool is that?

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

So true and I so agree. I was SO close to indie publishing when an author friend said "wait, run it by my publisher first." A few weeks later I was lucky enough to have a deal, but I was ready and willing to self pub it if that hadn't worked out.

The self pub stigma has faded fast and strong.

So many great stories can now be read that couldn't get trough the traditional red tape. And what a beautiful thing--more stories in the world for people to read. :)

And what a great list of authors! Woot!

Alba said...

I've been reading tons of indie books lately!! and seriously am dying to read yours!!! love the post!

laurasmagicday said...

Loving your post PJ. It's that simple. Why not:) And...I like what Matthew says about Indie record labels. The same can be said about Sundance..etc. It's really exciting because Indie publishing opens up a whole new world of stories.

T. R. Graves said...

We have such great companies (Amazon/Barnes & Noble/ Smashwords/Google/Blog-sites/Facebook/Twitter/etc.) which have made all the necessary tools available to us. With them, there is nothing preventing us from reaching our goals. Our books can be as successful as those published through traditional means. Thanks for sharing.

Megg Jensen said...

OMG, thanks for the shout-out PJ! :)

Indie pubbing is so much fun! I truly love what I'm doing. :)))

Megg

Cyndi Tefft said...

Oooh, I love this post! Yes, yes and more yes!

Amy Jones said...

Your words are so true. There is absolutely no reason to keep your masterpiece hidden away from potential YA book craving adoring fans! Publish it, already!
:)
Amy

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, everyone, for stopping by!

Michelle Davidson Argyle said...

Aww, I LOVE the way you put this! Because really, why not? I did it with Cinders and I'll be self-publishing another book this coming year - an anthology of short stories even though I have a publisher for my other stuff. I just love that we have a choice!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Michelle! I love the freeing attitude of this, too :) Why not! Thanks for stopping by.