"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, August 19, 2011

YA INDIE CARNIVAL: INSPIRATION FOR WRITING

It's time again for the YA Indie Carnival, an awesome group of weekly bloggers blogging about the same topic! Wait, you haven't heard of the YA Indie Carnival? You're totally missing out. But no longer!

Okay, here's the deal! Each Friday, because Friday is awesome, we all blog about the same topic. This week's topic?

WHERE DO I FIND INSPIRATION?

This question is one I attempt to answer in school and author visits that I do, and it's always fun to talk about what things have inspired me along the way.

I'll give you five. Here we go. I find inspiration in:

1) STAR TREK
I could stop here, but I'll continue on because lists are fun.



2) MUSIC
Something about the whole combination of rhythm and words evokes such emotions.



3) MYTHOLOGY
Including The Hero's Journey (thank you, Joseph Campbell)



4) LIVING
By living and traveling and enjoying life, inspiration comes. Like crossing the Red River. Looks like a river in Hell to me (read SOLSTICE to figure out which one).


5) THE UNKNOWN
Because from the unknown comes speculative fiction. If we don't know the answer to something, we can always ask "what if," and from this question come so many possibilities.


You can check out all the amazing Indie Carnival author/bloggers below:


Dani Snell's Refracted Light Reviews
Patti Larsen (The Ghost Boy of MacKenzie House, The Diamond City Trilogy)
Courtney Cole (Every Last Kiss, Fated, Princess, and Guardian)
Wren Emerson (I Wish)
Laura Elliott (Winnemucca)
Nichole A. Williams (Eternal Eden, and the upcoming Fallen Eden)
Fisher Amelie (The Understorey)
Amy Maurer Jones (The Soul Quest Trilogy)
Rachel Coles. Geek Mom. Book Reviewer (Diary of a Duct Tape Zombie, Whistles, Beergarden, Plagues, Bees of St. John, and Mushrooms)
T. R. Graves (Warriors of the Cross)
Cyndi Tefft (Between)
P.J. Hoover (Solstice, The Emerald Tablet, The Navel of the World, The Necropolis)
Alicia McCalla (Breaking Free)
Heather Cashman (Perception)
Also, a huge congratulations to Rachel Coles! Her story ORPHANS OF LETHE has just come out in in the horror anthology WHAT FEARS BECOME. You can read all about it here!


8 comments:

storyqueen said...

I remember that Star Trek episode!!

PJ Hoover said...

I love that Star Trek episode, Shelley! My absolute favorite!

Patti Larsen said...

STAR TREK! Yes, yes... all of the above. Fabulous!

laurasmagicday said...

YES! Travel inspires me too:) I guess it has to...LOL! I'm ALWAYS on the road. Love the pic of the Red River PJ!

T. R. Graves said...

I like your visuals. Thanks for sharing.

PJ Hoover said...

LOL, Patti! Trekkies rock!

The Red River is just so cool, Laura. I was so excited when I drove over it.

You're welcome, T. R. Thanks for visiting!

Dani @ Refracted Light said...

Yes! A Trekkie! I would call myself a "Trekkie by association." lol (DS9 is by far the best ;) ) I love that you have specific places from which you draw inspiration.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks for visiting, Dani! Trek is awesome!